Let me be the One...

Let me be the One... [One-Shot]

 

Kitane’s POV

               Daiki has been my best friend since we were kids. As we grown together… a special feeling for him had developed inside me and still nourishing. But…

              He doesn’t know… He doesn’t wanna know….

 

End of the POV

******************************************************************

“At last! Classes are now dismissed!” He exclaimed, as he stretches his arms. Kitane, whose seat is behind is, watches him in his glee. Then he suddenly turned at his back that made her flinched. “Ne, minna! Let’s go for a Karaoke!” He announced with his wide smile.

“Naah ~ we’re pass for today, Ari-kun…” All of his friends refused. Daiki just pouted by that. Kitane looks at him for a thought that he would invite her instead.

         But he didn’t.

 

Their group was about to leave the room…

“Dai-chan!” Kitane called from behind. It made Daiki face her way. “Anou… I’ll go with you.” She continued.

“Where?” He asked in blank.

It made Kitane unease. “A-at the Karaoke… you said…” She stuttered. 

Daiki stares at her for a moment. “Aah ~” He recalled.  “Naah ~ we must go straight home, ne?” He playfully said then gave pats on her head, teasing her like a kid. Instead of being annoyed, Kitane just gave a blank expression. Then Daiki continues his tracks outside the room. Kitane’s blank expression turns into sad, when Daiki finally gets outside.

 

These past days, Kitane always finding herself being left by her best friend, Daiki. Not like when they are kids, Daiki doesn’t want to be apart from her. Wherever he plays, he always wants Kitane at his side. But now… she feels that Daiki is the one who’s putting a big distance between them. And she wonders why, because she’s not use to him in that way. In fact, it is now that she wants to be closer to him… because she likes him… not only as a friend that he knows. But she likes him like love him… yeah! She loves her best friend more than a best friend.

 

Its weekend, Kitane feels to visit Daiki at their house. When she got there, she goes straightly to his room, since she’s close to his family.

“Yoh!” She greeted, when she sees him in front of his computer. It seems that he didn’t notice her presence, because his mind was focus on someone he’s chatting through net. Kitane wrinkled a forehead and went closer to him. Daiki noticed her figure and got surprise. He immediately blocks the monitor screen by both of his hands, preventing it not to be fully seen by her. “What are you doing here?!” He managed to react. Kitane blinked her eyes twice before to response. “Aah… visiting you?” She also managed to utter. She doesn’t know why… but she feels uneasy all of a sudden, when Daiki caught her, catching him chatting with someone awhile ago. And when he saw her, catching him, he feels awkward.

Kitane doesn’t want the idea of why Daiki felt awkward. So, she rejects the thought. Then she feels that she’s being move… where? Outside?

“Let’s go outside… you should not enter someone else’s room again without their permission.” He said while pushing her to the door.

‘Wait… what? Without that someone’s permission? Oi, Daiki Arioka! You’re just not a someone to me… You’re my best friend! I am you best friend!’ She tells in her mind until Daiki successfully led her outside and closes the door.

‘And I am not allowed in your room now?!’ She shouted, still on her mind. And found herself, in front of his closed door, hopeless. She can’t believe that Daiki just putted this distance between them. Off limiting her in his room is like a way of saying that she should not enter in his life anymore. Go away from him and don’t mind him? She’s not use to not carrying about him… because almost every time she misses him.

 

Classes’ hours at school…

      The class is waiting for their next teacher to come yet, Daiki can’t bee seen inside their room. Kitane looks around then goes outside. There she sees him talking through his phone. She also noticed his smiles, as he talks. So, she feels hesitate to approach the boy.

“E-eheerm…” But she managed to at least call his attention. Daiki turned to her way and immediately ended his conversation with someone. Kitane feels awkward and just looks away, avoiding his sight. “Anou… our next teacher is about to come. So, why still outside…? Tsss.” She informed and make face. Then she goes back inside, thinking whose Daiki talking to earlier and making him smile like that. It gives her a worry.

 

 

Night at the same day…

           Kitane was having a dinner with his family when the telephone rings. “I’ll get it.” She volunteered then straightly goes to where their telephone is.

 

“Hello… Matsuiko residence. Who’s this?” She started through the phone.

“Hey… Ki-chan?” Started someone by the other line.

“Oh, Kenji… what’s up?”

“Anou… can you go to Ari-kun at the plaza?”

Kitane became slightly move when she heard Daiki’s given name.

“You see… he told us that he’s going to meet with someone. And just now… he ringed my phone then said that he wants a companion right now…”

Kitane is listening in focus, as Kenji continuously talks. “Well, I think… from the way he speaks earlier… he seems gloomy. So, he was maybe dumped.”

“Wait… what?! Dumped?!” Kitane exclaimed in disbelief.

“Yeah… you see, he’s making a move towards this girl and… wait, you don’t know?” Said the boy on the other line, a bit confuse.

 

Kitane banged the phone down to her irritation. “I’m just going somewhere!!” She shouted to inform her family, whose still eating at their dining area. Then she rushes outside their house.

‘I… doesn’t know?! How will I know if that stupid Daiki didn’t tell me about it? How come that he’s making a move to some girls, without me knowing it?! Aren’t I his best friend?! You stupid Dai-chan… you will see!!’ She blurted on her mind in angry. She grumpily takes the path to the plaza and finally really sees Daiki in there. He’s also really in gloom.

 

The gloom of being rejected… it really shows in his pace. She remembers the time when she caught Daiki, chatting with someone through net then that time when she seem him talking with someone through his phone. There she connects all those scenes.

‘It’s really a girl na ~’ She said in her thought, as she continuously looks at his state. He’s sitting in a bench and on his behind is a fountain that seems sparkling in drama, suiting his mood. She suddenly became soft, watching him like that. The boy she loves is now heart broken and not because of her. That thought makes her sad. She just took her eyes from him then took a deep breath, earning some confidence to approach the boy.

She’s finally standing in front of him yet, he still doesn’t notice her because his head is down in gloom. Kitane released a chuckle. “What’s with that face?” She said. Daiki became move and immediately looks up. There he sees Kitane smiling down at him.

“What are you doing here?” He uttered in surprise.

“My radar just sense that you are here. So…” She hesitates. Then Daiki stands up from a sit.

“You radar is unbelievable…” He said, finally knowing that Kenji, their friend, is the one who told her where he is. And he maybe told about it all too, as Daiki thought. “I told him to meet me here but he told you instead…” He continued, not facing Kitane behind him.

 

It’s a moment of silence between them…

“Just go home now… it’s getting late.” He said then started to leave. Kitane turns to his way. “Why didn’t you tell me…?” She started again. Daiki was stop from his place. Kitane takes that chance and runs towards him. “Why didn’t you tell me about this? I am you best friend, right?” She continued. Daiki looks at her.

“You won’t understand…”

“Why wouldn’t I?! Of course I will! Because I am your best friend! You can open up to me.” She said in a loud manner that made Daiki shows irritation. “You are a girl! And you won’t understand my feelings!”

 

“Then at least let me feel it! Let me feel that I am a girl!” She blurted out, tears threatening to fall. “Let me be the one, Dai-chan…” Now she said it in soft, breaking what’s really inside her. Daiki just furrowed his eyes, as he looks at her. Tears are now continuously falls from her.

“Dai-chan… if you sees me as a girl then let me be the one who will give you chills, when you are chatting on the internet. Let me be the one who will make you smile when you are talking on your phone. And I promise you that it will not be useless waiting for me while you’re sitting on that bench. If you will just let me be that one…” She straightly said behind her tears.

Daiki was stop on what he heard from her. He wants to absorb everything that she said, but he can’t believe that Kitane has that kind of feelings towards him. “Ki-ki-chan…” He stuttered and tries to touch her in her shoulders. But she tends to move away. Kitane took a sob before to speak. “But I guess… Dai-chan really never finds me as a girl…” She said and started to leave.

Daiki feels awakened by those words and watches Kitane’s back, leaving that place.

 

Why didn’t he realize that? All his life, Kitane is always at his side yet, he didn’t develop any special feelings towards her. Or does he…? Because he is just too idiot to realize it. Every time they are only together at his room, he always feels unease and awkward. That’s why he doesn’t want her in his room now. And that moment of patting her head feels tingly to him now then gives him sudden fast bits on his heart. And now…that pain inside his chest while watching her leaving finally clears what he totally feels. He can’t take the sight of her crying because it gives pain on him. He loves her that he doesn’t want her to be hurt. Yeah! He loves her… but is that enough in return of her feelings?

 

Lunch break at their school….

      Daiki was stop by the door, when the girl from the past shows in front of him. The girl keeps her head lowered, as she hesitates to speak. Kitane, who’s on the other exit way of the room, also stops when she noticed them.

 

“Anou… Arioka-kun, I’m really sorry for telling that to you. If you don’t mind… I want to start over what’s between us again.” The girl finally speaks and gave her most gentle smile to Daiki.

Daiki lowered his eyes and a loud shut of the door was heard from the other side of the room. The two immediately transferred their look to where the noise came.

“What’s with Kitane? Shutting the door like that… aish.” One of their classmates reacted. Then a thought that Kitane heard what this girl had said came to Daiki’s mind. And Kitane thinks that he will give himself in to this girl again.

He looks at the girl in front of him again. She’s still smiling at him yet, he feels nothing. Now he figures that his feelings are cleared now. He let a smile before to speak. “Anou… I’m sorry but I can’t now…”

The girl stops from smiling and shows a blank expression.

“There’s this girl… that maybe crying now because on what she had heard from you, awhile ago.” He continued behind his soft smiles, thinking Kitane. Then he straightly looks at her. “And I don’t want her to be hurt again…”

 

“So, you chose to hurt me instead…” The girl almost whispered, tears are threatening.

“Uhmm…” Daiki gently shook his head. “I chose for the best… and that is her.” He said with his wide smile. The girl didn’t help but to run away in tears.

 

After minutes of looking for Kitane, Daiki found her at the rooftop. She’s looking form a far, while sitting in a cemented bench. Daiki let a smile of relief. He went near to her, without her noticing.

“Aahh ~ good thing that you’re not crying!” Daiki exclaimed without facing her. It made Kitane flinched then looks up to see Daiki, finally standing beside her. She wrinkled a forehead and stand up from her seat. “How did you…” She uttered but gets her mind back on what he said. “Huh, who told you that I am crying and why should I?” She gave angst. “Because you heard that girl confessed to me…” Daiki said in proud that made her irritation. “Oi! For you to know… I am now through with you! So, stop bothering making fool of yourself!” She proclaimed and started to leave him.

 

“I guess someone like you really suits on me naa ~” He said with his soft smiles. Kitane was stop from leaving then turns back to his way. “Ki-chan… I’m sorry for not realizing your feelings. Maybe I just don’t want to break the friendship we always have and hurt you…” Daiki stated, still not facing her. He’s been looking from no where waiting for her response.

“But I am the one who broke it… since the very long time, Dai-chan…” She softly spoke.

Daiki finally faces her way and walks towards her. “Yeah… and thanks for that. I realized now how much I care for my best friend and how much I really love her more than anything…”

Kitane let a wide smile, as Daiki gently holds her hands. “So, Matsuiko Kitane-san… will you be the one who will give soft kisses in my lips?” He teased with his playful smile. And by that, Kitane uncontrollably nods then clings her arms around his neck and kisses him.

As he feels her kissing him, Daiki still can’t believe that the sensation he’s all been waiting for is now given to him by his best friend and now… his girlfriend and got to be his wife. Yeah! 

 

- THE END -