Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve

It was Christmas Eve, and my boyfriend invited me over to his house for dinner. I was surprised when I saw it. I wasn't expecting a miniature, perfect, Palladian house. It was cute and looked quite cozy. We entered, and he took my coat off. I kept my scarf on as it was a light, dressy one, and it was pretty chilly in the house. He went to turn on the fireplace, and when it roared to life he brought me to the living room. He had the dining table all set up, with a single white rose in the middle as a center piece. The crystal off the chandelier twinkled and it made the room seem magical. The sheer beauty of the room took my breath away, and I gasped aloud. Even the white serving platters were nice, designed to look like great wreaths of snow, the food on top it of also looked delicious. The plates were a ruby red, and the napkin holders were the same color. He even set up a bottle of champagne sitting in a bucket of ice! I teared a little, and he smiled broadly like a little kid. We were just about to sit down when BANG! A gunshot echoed throughout the house. I froze, wide-eyed, as my boyfriend quickly turned toward me. A stinging pain ran through my leg. I slowly looked down, and screamed as I noticed the wound on my leg. The bullet had nicked my left calf and the blood was steadily flowing down my leg. I panicked, grabbing onto my boyfriend's arm. BANG! Another gunshot! My boyfriend quickly pushed me under the table, telling me to stay put. Then he takes out his own gun! I watch, slack-jawed, as he slowly moves toward where the last gunshot sounded from. I take a closer look at my leg. I was lucky. The wound is light, and although there was a lot of blood the wound itself was small. Taking my scarf, I wrap it around my leg as a bandage. Then I kick off my heels and get up from under the table just in time to see a stranger run out the door. Without thinking, I instinctively chase them out the door, and called for my boyfriend. The stranger leaped over the hedgerow, and ran down the driveway. My boyfriend aimed his gun, and shot at the mysterious assassin. He missed, and the stranger jumped into a white car. My boyfriend cursed as the car screeched away with the stranger in it. Exhausted, I dropped to the ground, my legs finally giving away. Looking at me, my boyfriend stops for a moment and asks if I was alright. He face creased in concern, and I nodded mutely. He helped me up and explained how he was actually a spy for the government. This was news to me! All along I had thought he was professor at the local university! The recent event was an attempt by his enemies to take his life. I just stare at him, dumbstruck at the sudden turn of events. My scarf was soaked with my blood by now and he offered to take me to the hospital. I shake my head, and ask instead if we could go inside for a bit so I could process the news. He smiles sadly and leads me into the house. I stumble up the stairs and he helps me onto the couch. Bringing the first-aid kit, he gently cleans the cut. I hiss as the pain hits me. He doesn't say anything, instead puts some gauze and pats my knee. He smiles, but it seems empty. His life as a spy must be lonely one. At that moment I decide that I want to stay by this man and help him through the rough times he had. I also decide to take his offer on that ride to the hospital after all. I think the bullet wound needs a few stitches! I laugh out loud and he just stares in amazement. I kiss him on the cheek, and smile when he grins like a little boy again, slightly bemused, but knowing I won't abandon him.