2

Parachute

2

“So according to the polls…you’re more popular among men than women.” Ryeowook mused as he played with the keyboard of his laptop.

I coughed while drinking the water he had so graciously given me, earning a choke. “W-What?”

“Your album. Apparently you’re appealing more to the male crowd, as opposed to Kangta who appeals more to women.” He patted my back and waited until I stopped coughing.

“Oh. Well, it makes sense. My songs weren’t meant for women.” I gasped, regaining my breath.

“Fans wouldn’t be too pleased to hear that.” He narrowed his eyes.

“I didn’t write those songs for fans, I just wrote them. If Kibum hyung didn’t tell the producers I did that then no one would be judging me because of some stupid thoughts I wanted to release.” I grimaced and pouted like a child.

Ryeowook shook his head. “The pressure’s already gotten to you. You’re acting just like Kyuhyun on a bad day.”

At the moment, I was crashing at the Suju dorm because my manager was preparing my own apartment, and it wasn’t ready yet. My manager originally contacted the SHINee dorms, but they didn’t have any spare room and they were busy enough at the moment. Leeteuk was gracious enough to offer me half a room. So of course, I accepted. And I even took over the job of washing dishes at night.

“Sorry, I just had a bad day. That interview was the worst! I felt like a complete amateur answering his questions and trying to keep my supposed reputation intact. Hyung, how did you deal with this when you debuted?” I sat up straight to face him, giving him full attention.

He sighed and closed the laptop. “The best thing you can do is act comfortable. This will show the viewers that you are a professional. Don’t worry, it’ll get better. You shouldn’t be so stressed.”

“Why is he stressed?” A voice called from the doorway.

“His first interview!” Ryeowook called back, smiling at who appeared.

“Oh no…the baby is growing up!” Heechul’s long arms wrapped around me for a bone-crushing hug. “Is it soon, or did you already have it?”

“Just had it.” I gasped. “Can’t breathe!”

He instantly let go. “But you’re so cute. And I hope you didn’t insult the MC or anything.”

My heart skipped a beat at his comment. “Not cute! And no, I’m not stupid either.”

“Hyung’s insulted quite a few MCs. And nurses and staff members…even fans. Any civilian, really.” Ryeowook snickered, going back to his laptop.

“What’d you say? You wanna die?” Heechul got up acting like he was about to hit him, but just ended up ruffling his hair. “Too cute.”

“Is everything cute to you?” I asked in disbelief.

Heechul shrugged. “Not Youngwoon.”

We all had to laugh at that insult, even if it was just a friendly one.

Heechul ruffled my hair too. “We’ll miss you when you have to leave…”

All of a sudden, the world came crashing down. After this week, my apartment would be ready for me to move in. And…I would be alone.

“I-I’ll be fine…” I tried to say, but it came out as a croak. Against my wishes, Ryeowook and Heechul had some sort of telepathic conversation, resulting in Heechul capturing me from behind and Ryeowook pinching my nose.

“What’s wrong? I thought you’d be happy to get rid of us.” Heechul laughed, trying to kill the awkward mood I brought in.

I shook my head. “It-It’s just th-the pressure.” I muttered.

Heechul moved his position so he could rub my shoulders. “Being a star isn’t like signing a death contract. Just do your best, people already like you.”

But what if I burnt out? I wanted to ask.

Instead, I just nodded, hoping the tears wouldn’t pour out.

A while later, Ryeowook decided to go to bed as it was approaching midnight. I shared with Heechul, so it was really up to him when I was to go to bed. I’d heard enough stories from numerous people about his sleeping habits, and what happened when he was tired and pissed.

“Alright, you’ve done the dishes right? Time for bed.” He grabbed me and pushed me through the hallway like I was a doll or something, finally ending up at the familiar door. As soon as we got inside, my feet were attacked by two pairs of curious paws.

“Hi Heebum, hi Baengshin.” I greeted them, picking up a random cat and hugging it.

“Hey Heebum…” Heechul picked up the other one and threw it on the bed. Guess I had Baengshin in my arms.

We stripped to our boxers and I grabbed a pillow to lie on the floor. I already packed a blanket so I wouldn’t be too cold. It was summer anyways, so I didn’t figure it would be too cold.

Oh how wrong I was.

In someone’s deranged mind, it was the perfect idea to turn the AC on to the point of leg hair turning to ice shards. Both Heebum and Baengshin cuddled up underneath the covers with their master, mocking me in my torture.

Because of the unbearable cold, I found it hard to fall asleep. I curled up like a kitten and tried to silence the chattering of my teeth. The blanket was so thin and it seemed to hate me tonight.

All of a sudden, something hit my head, causing me to shoot up and look around. A pillow was by my side, and I looked up to meet Heechul’s annoyed expression. Just a glare in the dark sent a chill down my spine. I regretted not writing my will today.

“Stupid. If you’re cold, come over here.” He muttered. Both Baengshin and Heebum poked their heads out to see what all of the commotion was about.

“Huh?” I blinked, not understanding.

“You. Get over here.” He pointed to the bed.

Still, I didn’t move. If I got into that bed, it would mean allowing myself to hope. To actually think, for one second, that this man could possibly think of me s more than a dongsaeng. Than just a dongsaeng.

When I remained frozen for a while, he got out of bed and walked over to me. Before I could protest, he grabbed my arms and dragged me to the bed. It made sense, when I thought about it later. He was hurt from the accident after Donghae’s father’s funeral, so he wouldn’t be able to physically carry me.

As he pushed me to the bed my skin felt like the sheets were burning every inch of my body. Heechul snuggled in next to me and the cats went deeper under the covers. I turned my head to face him, squinting in the darkness.

“I thought…you didn’t like people sleeping with you. Kyuhyun said-“ He puts his hand on my face to shut me up.

“Kyuhyun’s a and wants to sleep with everyone. Shut up and sleep.” He wraps his arms around me. “God, you’re freezing.”

And then I wondered, why did God tease me like this?

Why did he put me in the arms of the man I loved, only to have him release me as soon as the sunlight rippled through the sky?

________________________________________________________

Why so short?

I have like gabillion other chapters to write for other stories.

You wrote fluff.

Experimenting. I’m going to the city tomorrow but I’ll think of things for the next chapter.

HURRY!