The Perks of Being Sick

Like vs Love - The Perks of being sick

Inside Yamada’s room, Shida recently hit him lightly with a pillow. “Urgh?!” she sounded kind of angry. “Seriously, Ryosuke… you’re a pain when you’re sick.” She’s pretty used to being here… in their house, in his room. Sometimes Yamada’s mom herself forces Shida to his room to pull him off the bed whenever necessary.

It seems Yamada was still under his sheets and Shida’s pretty pissed about him not taking his medicine yet. She rolled her eyes seeing that he didn’t move an inch even after what she did.

“I’m calling your mom. You’re dead, mister.” She picked up the pillow she just used to hit him that fell on the floor and threw it beside the sleeping Yamada. On her way out of the room, Shida felt his hand on hers. “What!?”

Yamada didn’t say anything but instead he coughed. She sighed. It’s just so hard when he’s ill like this. Feeling like her anger has suppressed, Shida sat on Yamada’s bed and pulled the sheets off to reveal his face.

As expected, he’s sweating, looking a little pale but at the same time having really reddish cheeks. She placed a hand over his forehead. “What am I going to do with you…?” her words were softer now, as if she’s feeling tired just seeing him like this.

Her hand went from his forehead to his cheeks. Funny though, she saw him smile just now. She tried not to smile back but she just can’t help it. This guy, even looking as bad as this, can still pull off a cute smile. Soon enough, his eyes opened and Shida can see clearly that he really is pretty sick. They say you can tell a person’s wellness through the eyes. Hmmm… Seems true enough seeing how tired and restless his eyes seemed. “O…hayo…”

“There’s nothing good in the morning, okay.”

He chuckled then coughed. Her hands were now wiping sweat off his face. “I can’t believe you’re still not taking any medicine. You look awful.”

Yamada tried to prop himself up, resting on his elbows. Shida waited as he sat up straight. She watched as he felt his back, and after realizing it’s all sweaty, she can read the irritation on his face. “Now I feel like I stink…” he complained, now wiping his face.

Shida made a face that says she’s annoyed and she stood up. Knowing just about enough about his room, she got herself some towel and handed it to Yamada.

Yamada took it, as if its something he’s used to -Shida’s actions that is- and he wiped his face, as if it’s the only thing that gives him comfort. “Aaah... it's so hot…”

“Yeah, wrapping yourself with that thick of a blanket wouldn’t make you feel hot.” She said sarcastically. Not long enough, Shida took a glass of water and some pill and handed it to Yamada. “Help yourself and get rid of that fever -even just the fever.” She’s practically feeding him the medicine and after looking at Shida as if she’s going to poison him, Yamada gave up. “Did you know that you’re temperature’s at about thirty-nine?”

He was done drinking some water and he placed it back to his bedside table. Apparently ignoring Shida’s comment, Yamada rubbed his temples. “What time is it?”

“Almost ten in the morning…”

His eyes grew as wide as possible, given his condition. “You’ll be late.”

“I’m not going.”

“But we promised Yuto we’ll come.”

“Well, you’re sick, so we can’t come.”

Yamada looked a little annoyed. “Mirai... I can’t come, but you can…” he coughed, then reached for the water again.

“Forget it.” She stood up. “I’ll go get you some more water.”

“Wait. I’ll come.”

“Just stay there. Get yourself some change of clothes, okay? I’ll be right back.” Without even waiting with what Yamada has to say, Shida stormed out of his room. He can hear her walking down the stairs in a kind of hurried fashion.

When she got back up, Yamada was not on his bed and Shida heard some water faucet inside his bathroom. She placed the water pitcher and some strawberries on his desk, at the same time seeing his opened notes. He must be doing some homework last night.

Yamada got out from his bathroom and was now wearing a plain white shirt and a pair of jogging pants. He had some socks on though, and Shida knew he washed his face, seeing that his bangs were pretty wet. “Is your head still aching?” She asked as soon as he walked closer to her.

He shook his head a little but Shida knows he’s lying. Soon, he faced her then looked at his watch placed on his desk. “Hey… we can still make it, let’s catch up on the next train.”

“Urgh! No, we’re not going anywhere!” okay, they’re arguing. “Besides, I already called Yuto and he said its fine.”

Yamada scratched the back of his head. Whenever Shida gets mad like this, there’s that couple of a second he feels like he can’t really do anything. “Demo… we promised…”

“Iikara, it’s settled. Now please, just stay here and rest.”

He coughed and rubbed his nose, “I’ll be fine. I already had my medicine right?”

“Yamada Ryosuke, stop taking these flus so lightly. You’ve been sick often these days.”

Yamada sighed. Whenever they kind of argue like this, it makes him feel more and more dependent to her. Weird, but somehow he liked it; but it’s not like he’s making her mad in purpose. He coughed again then headed for the door.

“Where are you going?”

“It’s a nice Saturday Mirai.. let’s go for a walk.”

It feels like she’s been talking to nobody the past few minutes and she made a face that says she’s not happy. “You’re kidding right? You’re sick, sir, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“But it’s really nice outside. Come on, onegai? Just a walk?”

“Ryosuke…” she sounded like she’s about to plead, but Yamada kept that look on his face that she always find hard to resist.

He offered a hand and with much hesitation, she finally gave in and they were walking out of his room.

Downstairs, Yamada saw his mom moving around the kitchen. Without saying much, he greeted his mom a good morning and then closed the front door right away even before she said anything.

Outside, he stretched out, feeling a little sore, but he tried hard not to let Shida notice. He coughed once in a while, but he liked the smell of the morning. Surprisingly, for a ten o clock, it’s not that hot and it seems it will stay pretty cool for the rest of the day.

They arrived at the local park they used to go to, and Shida was still pretty quiet. 

“Hey. Smile, will ya?”

Shida pouted, “For someone who’s sick, you’re pretty hard-headed.”

“It’s not like this is the first time I’ve been sick. Gomen ne if I make you worry.” He had that smile again. Spotting their favourite bench, Yamada walked towards it and sat.

Sighing, again, Shida sat beside him. There were some children playing around, and even some families having some picnics. It really was a pretty nice Saturday.

She heard Yamada cough again and when she was about to say something, she felt that scooted away and soon lays his head on her lap. Yamada sure acts like a spoiled brat whenever he feels like doing so. “Oh look! That cloud looks like a dog…”

It is kind of childish, but Shida’s used to him being like this. Even now, she can still feel that he’s still got some fever, but she was pretty relived that he’s not sweating as much. Looking at him, with that fresher and brighter face than a few minutes ago, Shida can’t help but just smile and look up at the cloud he was pointing out. She rested her hand on his forehead for no apparent reason then spoke, “Cookie-chan, perhaps?”

He laughed. “Close… but cookie’s skinnier ne? Oh… I didn’t see cookie-”

“Your sister took her out for a walk.”

“Oh…” he was now looking at Shida and smiled. “Ne, Mirai… tell me something…” he coughed.

“Nani?” She was wiping his bangs off his forehead. She can tell that his fever still hasn’t gotten down completely since he’s bangs were sticking to his forehead again.

“I never got the chance to ask this, but why did you agree to go out with me?”

Shida’s on his head stopped, she chuckled, and placed a hand on top of his chest. “What question is that?”

His eyes were brighter now, although still a little sick, but his smile give away his embarrassment upon having to ask this question. “Well… nothing really. I’m just wondering… I mean, I am a pain most of the time…” he fought off his cough. “…and I get a little clingy too. Sometimes I know I’m annoying when I text or call you… so, why?” he spoke while he held her hand that’s on his chest.

She can feel his heartbeat, and also the heat of his palms. “Things you ask when you’re sick…” she uttered in disbelief, and he begged her to tell him her answers. “Hmm… I wonder…” she let her words hang.

“And look… I’m childish… and I usually don’t do what I’m told. Oh, and I get mad easily sometimes, ne?”

Shida uttered and she felt Yamada link their fingers. She gripped on him tightly, like she usually does. “Honestly… I’m not sure…”

“Eh?” He sounded surprised, and looking at him with those kind of wide eyes but not really, Shida can’t help but laugh. “It’s not funny. Didn’t you just kind of say that you’re not really sure why you’re going out with me?” there was a slight cough again, and she can tell that he looked a little bit worried. She put some more pressure on her grip and shook Yamada’s hand that’s with hers.

“Sighs Ryosuke… it’s not like that… I don’t think so.”

“Then?” he was now looking up in the sky again, his breathing kind of picking up some pace.

“Sure you can be a hard-head sometimes; and you’re hard to talk into doing something you don’t really wanna do. For instance, taking some medicine…” she paused and she knows he’s just letting her talk. “Oh… I’m not too bothered about your calls and messages though.” She heard him chuckle.

“Even though I do them often?”

She nodded with an “Um!” and he waited, so she continued. “…and it’s true I don’t get your temper sometimes… but…”

He coughed, “But?”

With her other hand, she brushed some of Yamada’s hair off the sides of his face.

“… Well?” obviously he was waiting.

She smiled, “But I guess those are additional more reasons why I like you… because that’s you. That’s the Ryosuke Yamada that I’ve grown to know and like.”

His smile was warm, and she can feel him trying not to smile too much. Soon enough he said, “Arigato.”

“So does that mean I answered your question?”

He nodded and looked up at her. With his hand holding hers, he brought it up to his face and felt the back of her hand with his cheek.

“You ask the silliest questions when you’re sick.”

“Souka…” he uttered with a smile.

“Oh… how about I ask a question this time.” Shida said.

“Eh? Um… okay…” a little surprised, but half-expecting, Yamada gave in.

“What do you think is the difference between like and love?” She smiled. She knows her question was pretty random but it was something she’s been curious about.

“Hmm… it sounds like some question for a quiz show.”

Shida laughed. “You think? Haha.”

“Hm…” Yamada looked serious. Good enough, Shida’s been noticing that he’s looking better and better than when she first saw him.

“I’m waiting…”

“Chotto matte… I’m thinking…”

She laughed. While Yamada looked like he’s someplace else, Shida started playing with his hair by intertwining it a little. Of course it was pretty hard, but she still kept doing it.

“Oh! I’ve got it…”

“Hm?” She asked, still playing with his hair.

“Say, if I ask you what you like most about me, what would you say?” That was Yamada’s reply.

“Wait, I thought I was waiting for your answer.”

“I’m getting there. Just answer my question.”

“You’re unfair…” she uttered but she knew she wouldn’t argue anyway, “Well… honestly…” she stopped playing with his hair and laid a hand on his chest again. “I’m not sure I know…?” she squinted, as if expecting Yamada to make a sound of disbelief. I mean, she just said she doesn’t know why she likes him, right?

But to her surprise, he was smiling so sweetly, and he held her hand tight. 

“Well… what about you, what do you like about me?” She laughed a little when a thought came to her, “For a couple going out for about a year now, it’s funny we talk about this now, ne?”

Yamada laughed and fought off a soon escaping cough. “Hmm… what do I like about you? Hmm…”

Shida was a little caught off guard when he sat back up and looked at her straight into the eye.

“Honestly, I don’t think I like you anymore.”

The smile from her face disappeared, like some glass being broken. She didn’t know what to say, this was all unexpected.

Yamada must’ve read the different impact of what he said and held her face to assure her things are find. “Hey, cheer up.”

Shida’s eyes were looking around, as if trying to avoid his. It’s obvious she didn’t wanna say anything.

Soon he leaned forward and his forehead was on hers. “I can’t think of any reason at all why I like you…”

Not really sure where this is all going, Shida tried to face him; to look into his eyes and figure out what’s going on.

“And when you don’t have a reason to like someone… I believe…”

She felt her heart palpitate. Is he breaking up? What’s going on?”

“…That you don’t like that person anymore… It only means”

Whatever his motive are, she’s feeling like she’s losing consciousness. He legs suddenly felt numb…. But what he said made her heart stop.

“…That you LOVE them already…”

Her tears fell without her even noticing.

“Oh! Mirai?”

“Baka!” She pushed him away a little and she wiped her tears. “Why am I crying?!” she sounded like she’s mad at herself.

Yamada felt like holding his laughter. Somehow, it looks like he knows that he was giving her a hard time but he just find it really cute how worried she looked. (Yama-chan, meanie) “Hey, look at me.”

With hesitation and still a frown on her face, she did… And he stole a peck on the cheek.

“Why are you crying?” he asked comfortingly. “You weren’t thinking I was about to break up with you, weren’t you?”

Shida felt like she’s having Yamada’s fever. She tried to control her sobs and soon she found herself trying to catch her breath. Yamada with a smile but a concerned face, rubbed her back. “I hate you.” Shida uttered. “I hate you, you know that?”

He can’t help but smile more. So she was that scared that he’ll leave her. “Mirai…”

“I feel silly getting all emotional like that.” She uttered over some sobs. She wanted to push him away. That was just a little too much; or maybe she reacted way too much that expected. 

To her surprise, Yamada stood up quickly, went behind the bench and hugged her. “I’m not leaving you. No way.”

“Baka…”

“Yeah, yeah…”

Then Shida couldn’t help but just hold onto his arms. Soon, she felt like saying what she feels. “Maybe I was that scared, ne?”

Yamada chuckled. “I wonder why?”

Shida made a sound that says she finds him oblivious then she looked to her side. His left cheek was pressed against her right temple, while she said, “Maybe I’m in love with you too, baka.”

With that Yamada just can’t help but embrace her tighter. Turns out, being sick makes him silly in a good way. “Maybe I’m better off being sick often, ne?” Being able to finally tell her… perhaps not too directly, but at least being able to say that he loves her, and to get a mutual response is just sugoi, ne? Sure they’ve been going out, but it isn’t every day you get the courage to actually tell what your heart says. You can go out with someone simply by liking them, but to be with someone you actually love, isn’t that just one of the best things there is in life?

“Urusai naa…” With that they both laughed and soon, it felt like for just a moment, Yamada thought that being sick is just the best.

________________________________

Comments feed one's confidence. So if you may, leave one, onegai? have a great day minna!