Fate

A Tinge of Hope

 

The roars of thunder and the flashes of lightning woke the young woman from her nightmare. She was crying in her sleep again. For the umpteenth time, she dreamt of that incident that haunted her for 3 years now. She glanced at the window, it was raining hard. Her tears fell down on her cheeks again as she watched how the rain poured down. “Taecyeon…”

 

 

3 Years ago…

“What do you want for dinner?” a guy named Ok Taecyeon asked his girlfriend, showing her oh-so-cute puppy eyes.

“Hmmm..let me think…” Yoona, his girlfriend thought for a while as she tapped her fingers on the table. “Ah! Blueback Salmon would be great!”

“Hmmm. Blueback Salmon, huh?” she nodded excitedly.

“You do know that it’s quite hard to look for Blueback Salmon at this season right?” he raised one eyebrow playfully. She just pouted and it brought laughter to him as he admired his cute girlfriend.

He gently patted her head, “aigoo, my baby is craving for Blueback salmon. I guess I’ll have to find one just for you” he said as he stood up and fixed his shirt.

“Jeongmal?” she clasped her hands together in excitement.

He nodded before leaving a kiss on her forehead. Not knowing it would be the last

“I’ll be back.”

 

 

2 hours later…

“Taec, are you sure you’ll be fine?” Yoona asked him worriedly.

Taecyeon was getting ready to sail when Yoona approached him. Yoona noticed that the clouds are getting darker and she was sure that there would be a thunderstorm at this rate. Even though Taecyeon loves the sea very much and how good of a sailor he is, she couldn’t help but think of negative things that might happen to Taecyeon.

“Just forget about the fish. I just want a simple dinner with you” she tried to convince him.

He looked up to her as he finished preparing his things for the sail. He smiled, “don’t you trust me? I promise you I will come back safe. And besides, I want this dinner to be special; after all, it’s our anniversary today.” He looked at the sea and back at Yoona, “I’ll be going now. See you in a few…”

He was about to ride his boat when Yoona hugged him tight. It caught him by surprise. Somehow, the hug felt different but nonetheless, he hugged her back. Yoona didn’t say anything, she just hugged him tighter. After a few seconds of silence, they broke the hug. He just gave her a warm smile and off he went to sail.

-

Yoona was standing by the shore as she watched Taecyeon’s boat sail further. She was silently praying for his safety as the clouds turned darker as ever, and suddenly, like she was expecting it to happen, a lightning struck Taecyeon’s boat. Several seconds passed by when she saw the boat flamed up. She couldn’t believe her eyes. No, this is a nightmare. This is not real. Her jaw dropped as she watched the unfaithful scene before her. She wanted to scream for help but not even a single sound could be heard. And with that, she fell unconscious.

 

Yoona’s POV

Everything was blurry as I slowly opened my eyes. What’s this? Everything I could see is white. I tried blinking a few more times and finally, my sight is getting clearer. But where am I? Am I dead already, but how? She looked to her side and saw a familiar figure. In a short span of time, that familiar figure brought me to her embrace. Umma…

“Omo! Yoona! I’m so glad you’re awake now.” Her voice was shaking as she hugged me tighter, not wanting to let go.

“Umma..” I called out with my hoarse voice.

“Yes, my child?” she asked. Finally she sounded calm.

“What happened?” finally she released me from her suffocating yet comforting hug. I looked at her eyes. It seems like she was hiding something from me. She was avoiding my gaze. And it struck me. “Where’s Taecyeon!?” I looked around the room in panic. The memories of that incident are coming to me bit by bit.

“Yoona, calm down please. It’s not good for you. You passed out for a week, you still need to rest” she held my shoulders gently as she tried her best to soothe me, but it just won’t work.

“Where is he!??” the look on my mother’s face was a mix of sadness and shock when I yelled. I didn’t mean to yell at her, it’s just that I was really worried.

She sighed. “The coastguards tried their best to find his body, but…”

“What do you mean?” it seems like I’m losing my voice because of shock. I already know what she meant but I was still hoping that it’s not what I am thinking.

“He’s gone, Yoona. Taecyeon is gone…”

END OF FLASHBACK

 

It’s been three years since that accident but up to now, I’m still hoping that he would come back. He promised me, and I don’t expect him to break it. Though, I know, deep inside me, he’s really gone. But at least, I want to see his body just to make sure if he’s still alive or that he’s already… But anyway, I was told that it’s quite impossible to see his body. Sharks or fishes might have feasted on his body already. If not because of my craving, this wouldn’t have happened. If not because of me, we should be celebrating our 4th year anniversary together today. It was my entire fault…

Today, I’m moving from home. I want to be independent. I need to move on. I just got accepted for a very good job in Seoul, I need to get myself busy so I can forget him so I accepted this job without thinking twice.

 

The Next Day…

“Annyeonghaseyo, cheonun Im Yoona imnida. From now on, I’ll be working with you, please take care of me. Gamsahamnida!” she bowed after she introduced herself to her co workers. Everyone clapped their hands. Most of them were amazed by her beauty while some just ignored. But there was one employee who couldn’t take his eyes off her. His name is Nichkhun Horvejkul.

Hours seem to pass by quickly for Yoona as she was too absorbed by her work. But for Nichkhun, he couldn’t even complete a one page document ‘because his mind seemed to drift off somewhere, or maybe, someone. But one thing he was sure of is that, he fell in love at first sight.

 

-

“Yoona-ssi!” Yoona turned around when she heard her name being called. She was about to exit the building when Nichkhun decided to approach her. Yoona looked at him in confusion, “eh?”

“Nichkhun Horvejkul. Call me Khun” he offered his hand, waiting for a hand shake.

“Im Yoona.” Yoona shook his hand.

“I know. I work in the same department as you.” He showed his killer smile. Yoona nodded her head. “Uhm, Nichkhun-ssi, do you need something?” she was uncomfortable. Ever since Taecyeon left, she never had the chance to get close to any other guy.

“Hmmm. Not really. I just want to walk you home, would that be okay?”

Yoona didn’t want to be rude so she just accepted his offer.

 

 

-

That night, Nichkhun couldn’t stop thinking about her, about Yoona. Everything about her drives him crazy even though they just met that morning. His train of thoughts got disturbed when his friend patted his shoulder.

“Hey dude, what’s with the face?” his friend joke.

“I think I’m in love” he blurted out without any hesitation making his friend burst out in laughter. Nichkhun threw a death glare, and he turned serious again. “I’m serious.”

“Okay, who’s the girl?”

“She’s a new employee. I don’t know. I just can’t stop thinking about her. Her name’s Yoona.”

“Y-Yoona?”

“Yeah, Im Yoona. I need your help dude. Ever since Yuri left me, I don’t know how to approach a girl anymore. I’m afraid I would commit the same mistakes I did to Yuri. You’re helping me, right?”

 

 

-

It’s been already 5 months since Yoona started working in the company, and it’s just a matter of weeks when she grew more comfortable with Nichkhun. Nichkhun became more visible in showing his feelings to Yoona, but the latter still couldn’t forget about her lost ex-boyfriend. There were times where Yoona thought Nichkhun reminded her of Taecyeon. He knows her favorite flower, song, and many more.

“Good morning Yoona! Here are some strawberries for you. It’s good in the morning.” Nichkhun handed her a basket of strawberries.

Yoona was stunned. ‘That’s what Taecyeon told me before. Taecyeon is the only one who knows how much I love strawberries.’

“Uhm, thanks?” she accepted the strawberry. Who are you Nichkhun Horvejkul? Why is it that you know a lot about me? Why does your every move reminds me of Taecyeon? Please Taec, help me! I don’t know what to anymore. Is it really time for me to move on now?

 

Today, Nichkhun invited Yoona in his apartment for dinner. This is the day that he’s planning to confess to her about his feelings.

“Come in Yoona. Get yourself comfortable.” Nichkhun nervously welcomed her in. Yoona is the first girl Nichkhun brought in his apartment since Yuri.

Yoona observed the apartment as she entered. The place is quite big for a single guy to live in. “Thanks Khun. Do you live here alone?”

“Eh? No, I live here with my friend. He just went out to buy something” he looked at his watch, “he should be back by now. I’m going to introduce you to him. Don’t worry, he’s nice.”

Yoona nodded then she sat on the couch as Nichkhun prepared the table.

“! I forgot to buy a wine!” Nichkhun panicked. He went to the living room and said, “Uhm, Yoona, I need to buy something outside. Do you need something?”

She shook her head. “Nope. Just go on, Khun. I’ll be fine here” she smiled.

He smiled back, “I’ll make it quick.”

When he left the apartment, Yoona looked around her surroundings. She saw a lot of pictures of Nichkhun from his childhood up to his adulthood. She smiled as she looked at the pictures. So cute, she thought. Then one photo in the side table caught her eyes. She felt her heart beating faster as her hand moved slowly to get the framed photo. It was a photo of Nichkhun with another guy. Then the door clicked indicating that Nichkhun arrived, that was quick.

“Khun?” she turned around to face him only to see another guy, a guy that she has been waiting for, for 3 years already. He looked thinner than the last time she saw him, but nonetheless, nothing much has changed. He is still the same Taecyeon that she loved and still loves. They looked into each other’s eyes. He too seemed to be so shocked. He looked at the thing that she was holding. He recognized it and knew that it was a picture of him and Nichkhun. Tears flowed down Yoona’s cheek. She couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She silently prayed that it wasn’t a dream and in just a second, she ran to him and hugged him tight, never wanting to let go. Taecyeon dropped the plastic bag that he was holding to catch her. Though he was still stunned by this sudden reunion, he did what every guy would do to their long lost love. He kissed the top of her head, and hugged her tightly as if telling her that he’s not going to let her go anymore.

 

“Tell me. Tell me what happened to you for the past 3 years, starting from the day that you disappeared.” Yoona’s voice was still shaking. She didn’t even look at him; she just set her eyes on the table in front of them. They finally decided to sit on the table after a good 30 minutes of Yoona crying in Taecyeon’s arms.

Taecyeon heaved a sigh, “I don’t know how I survived that night. I thought that would be the last time that I’m going to see you…The storm was strong. I-I thought I was going to die that night—“ His voice trailed off, nevertheless, he continued, “I collapsed on the boat and the next thing I knew, I was already in Nichkhun’s house. His father found me on the shore while fishing. I was out for 3 days and when I woke up, I couldn’t remember anything. Not even my name. For 2 years, I lost my memory. Nichkhun’s family took care of me until I gained my memory back and after staying in their house for 2 years, we decided to move out and live on our own here in Seoul. Nichkhun worked in the company while I work as a delivery guy in a mini restaurant in Gangnam. I didn’t intend to come back because I thought you’re already happy with your life…without me.” Yoona finally looked at him with tears threatening to fall down again. But she didn’t say anything, she let him continue.

“Exactly 5 months ago, I saw you again. You went out of your apartment while I was delivering noodles in the nearby building. That’s where I saw your eyes. You looked gloomy, the happiness that I always saw in your eyes were gone. And that’s when I decided to come back to you. The next day, I was thinking of a plan on how I’m going to show myself to you without surprising you. That night, I saw Nichkhun daydreaming, and when I talked to him, he told me that he’s in love. With you. I was so stunned but I tried my best to hide it from him. I didn’t tell anyone about my past, not even him. ..He asked for my help, and as a friend, I couldn’t say no. Right there and then, I made up my mind, I thought it was best if I let you move on. I know very well that Nichkhun would be a perfect boyfriend to you. So, I did everything to help him. I told him your favorites, and he did everything what I told him to do. At first, he was getting suspicious, because you like everything that he would do…he asked me if I know you…” Taecyeon paused for a while and smiled. “…and I said no, I told him that, that is what every guy would do, and he bought it.”

“No wonder he seemed to know everything about me” Yoona muttered. Everything seems to take its place.

Taecyeon just smiled and looked down after finishing his explanation. He wasn’t aware that Yoona’s crying already not until she spoke, “Pabo” was all she could say.

“Y-Yoona?” he was stunned for a moment when he saw her cry. He stood up from his chair and went to Yoona’s side. He knelt down beside her and wiped her tears away as she continued sobbing. He can’t bear to see this girl cry, and especially now that she’s crying because of him.

“Didn’t you know that I didn’t forget about you? That I couldn’t sleep at all every night because I was still thinking and hoping that you would come back? And look at you. It’s like you already forgot about me. Have you moved on that quick that you even decided to set me up with Nichkhun? Were you aware that I only grew comfortable with Nichkhun just because I saw you on him, but not because I saw him as whom he really is? No. You didn’t even think about that. I hate you Ok Taecyeon!” she was crying harder this time as she hit him with no force at all.

Taecyeon didn’t know what to now. The girl he loves hates him now because of his stupidity. Gently, he pulled Yoona into his arms, tears are also falling from his eyes now, “I’m sorry Yoona..I--”

He was cut off by Yoona, “ I hate you Taecyeon.” she whispered as she rested her head on his shoulder. “Don’t ever do that again. Don’t ever leave me again!”

“Yoona?” Taecyeon was surprised. He thought Yoona would hate him now because of what he did. He broke the hug and looked at Yoona’s swollen eyes.

“What!? I still love you pabo!” Yoona told him and the next thing she did caught him by surprise. She kissed him. It was their first kiss after 3 years. The kiss indicated what they are feeling towards each other without saying anything. It was gentle. They wanted to show how much they missed each other. Slowly, they pulled away and just looked at each other.

“I still love you too, Yoona. And forever I will.” He engulfed her with a hug again but then he remembered about Nichkhun, “What are we going to do now? Khun is planning to confess to you tonight.”

Yoona quickly answered, “Let’s tell him the truth, I’m sure he would understand.”

And as if destiny was playing with them, the door flew open revealing Nichkhun. The couple broke away from the hug and was as astounded as Nichkhun.

“Khun~” Taecyeon nervously whispered.

 

-

The couple explained everything to Nichkhun and when they thought Nichkhun would throw a fit on them, he just smiled and congratulated them both, “I’m happy that you met each other again after a long time.”

“You’re..not…mad?” Yoona carefully answered.

Nichkhun shook his head and smiled, “of course not. All this while, I knew that you were thinking about someone else but I was trying to be oblivious. And…I’m so sorry Yoona, I don’t want to be mean, but I think I haven’t fully moved on from my ex-girlfriend. Forgive me, but I think I saw you as her substitute..”

Yoona patted his shoulder, “No need to be sorry Khun, I also saw you as a substitute, and I think we’re fair now?” she offered her hand which Khun gladly shook.

“And I want to tell you guys something.” Nichkhun said.

“Huh? What is it?” Both Taecyeon and Yoona asked.

“I actually met Yuri earlier, and we kind of…made up. We’re back together now. Actually, she’s waiting outside.” Nichkhun told them.

Yoona suddenly hit Nichkhun’s head, “Yah! Nichkhun Horvejkul! How can you make her wait outside for so long? Let her come in now.” She commanded like a boss which made the guys laugh. Then, Nichkhun finally called Yuri in and after introducing themselves, they had their dinner together. After having dinner, Taecyeon sent Yoona home.

“You know what Taec?” Yoona suddenly uttered while they were walking to Yoona’s apartment.

“Hmmm?”

“I still can’t believe that you’re here with me now. Miracles are indeed real. If not because of that tinge of hope that I held in me, maybe we will never see each other again.” She told him sincerely as she stopped walking and stood in front of him. “I love you Taec.”

He smiled as he held her hands tighter, “I love you to Yoona.” He told her before leaving a kiss on her forehead.