final

Breaking

"It came back... Your disease..."

"W-What?"

"I said it's back... Kibum-ah."

"What are y-you saying? Y-You told me that the chances of that disease c-coming back was-"

"Little. I said it was little. But there was still chance. And somehow, your body chose to take that chance and now, that disease is back..."

Kibum stared at his doctor, Choi Minho, with tears in his eyes.

"S-So... How much time d-do I h-have?" Kibum asked as a few drip of tears ran down his cheeks.

"Normally 5 years... But because you were born with that disease... At most... 3-3 years." Minho said as he looked at his patient, who was also his friend, with a sad expression. Kibum broke down and cried at that last statement. Minho wrapped his arms around his slim and fragile friend. He knew it would be a shock since it has been at least 4 years since that disease had last relapsed. Kibum cried in his friend's chest. He hated it... the pain that was now torturing his heart. "Why now?! Why?!" Kibum kept shouting that line over and over again, clutching the part of his shirt where his heart was located. Minho released him when his sobs calmed down a little. "Do you want me to tell Jonghyun or do you want to tell him yourself?" Minho asked as he took out his phone. Kibum snapped his head up at the name of his lover. "No! Don't tell him! I-I-I'll tell him..." Kibum said and stood up from the bed his was seating on. Apparently, during his monthly appointment with Minho, Kibum fainted and was sent to one of the the wards to rest.

Kibum pushed open the large glass doors of the huge hospital weakly. He stepped out and walked to the nearest wall. He leaned on it and slid down. He sat on the ground, hugging his knees close to him. A new set of tears rolled down his pale skin. "Jonghyun... J-Jonghyun... What am I suppose to do?" He muttered. Then, his phone rang. He immediately wiped off his tears when he saw the caller. Jonghyun.

"Hello?"

"..."

"Kibummie? Hello?"

"H-Hyung..."

"W-What's wrong? Are you crying? Where are you? I'll go get you-"

"H-Hyung... Help..."

"Where are you?"

"Choi. M. H. General Hospital..."

"Stay there and don't move, I'm coming."

With that Jonghyun hung up the phone. Minutes later, a red sports car stopped in front of the hospital and a guy with blonde hair rushed out. He froze in his steps when he saw Kibum crying. "Kibummie!" He shouted and ran towards the said person. He hugged Kibum tightly, letting Kibum cry on his chest and in his arms. "Hyung! H-Hyung!" Kibum cried, clinging onto Jonghyun as if letting go was the last thing he'll do. "Shh... I'm here. Hyung is here... Come, let's go home." Jonghyun said as he carried Kibum like a princess. He placed Kibum in the passenger seat and sat in the driver seat. He let Kibum lay his head on his shoulder. When they reached the mansion they lived in, Jonghyun carried the sleeping boy in his arms.

He place Kibum on his bed. He wanted to change his clothes before sleeping but decided not to after seeing Kibum clutching onto his sleeves cutely. He lay down beside Kibum and smiled when Kibum snuggled up against him.

The next day, Kibum refused to get of bed, complaining that his whole body ached. Jonghyun found it weird. Talking about going out to shop or to the park, Kibum was always the one jumping around the mansion excitedly. But now, he was complaining and refusing- REFUSING -to go out with Jonghyun.

"Kibummie... Is something wrong?" Jonghyun said as he sat on the bed beside Kibum's 'aching' body.

"No..."

"Don't lie... You haven't smiled even once today."

"I'm just not in the mood."

With that, Jonghyun just sighed and walked out of the room. He closed the door and walked to the living room. Then a familiar ringtone was heard. He went into the kitchen and pushed away the magazines that were laid on the counter. He picked up his boyfriend's phone and saw 'Choi Minho' on the screen. He was debating whether to answer his call. Then he pressed the green button on the screen and place the phone beside his ear.

"Minho-ah, Kibum is resting right now. Can you call later?"

"Oh, Jonghyun hyung. It's been a while since I heard your voice."

"Ah, yes."

"Umm... About Kibum, is he okay? Does he feel dizzy or having headaches often?"

"What?"

"Ah, I'm just asking."

"Minho-ah... Is there something you are hiding from me? Both you and Kibum are acting weird."

"... Hyung, I don't think I'm in the place to tell you what happened."

"Look, this sounds serious and if it involves Kibum, I DEMAND you to tell me what happened."

"..." The other line was quiet for a while.

"Hyung, Kibum... He-..."

"Kibum what? Tell me... please."

"The disease that Kibum was born with... relapsed."

"...W-What?"

"Kibum has at most 3 years left to live and... he c-could even die earlier."

Jonghyun dropped Kibum's phone with widened eyes. His legs gave way and he kneeled on the floor. The tears fell from his eyes freely as he stared at the phone.

"No... It c-can't be...W-Why..." He repeated again and again...

Then, he heard footsteps behind him. He didn't bother to turn around. "Hyung?" Kibum asked as he kneeled down beside Jonghyun. "W-Why are you crying? Something happened?" Kibum asked as worry took over him. Jonghyun turned his head slowly. "Why didn't you tell me?" Jonghyun said. "Tell you what hyung?" Kibum replied, confused. "You're still pretending... Kibum... W-Why didn't you tell me that y-your disease r-relapsed?" Jonghyun choked out as a new set of tears rolled down his tears. Kibum widened his eyes and dropped his hands that were originally on Jonghyun's shoulders. "H-How did you know?" Kibum asked in disbelief. Jonghyun shot up from his spot and took a few steps backwards. "THAT'S NOT THE POINT, KIBUM! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?! WHY WAS I KEPT IN THE DARK?!" Jonghyun shouted as he gripped onto the counter for support. His legs were trembling in anger.

"Hyung... L-Listen, I was going to-"

"DON'T GIVE ME THAT KIM KIBUM!" Jonghyun paused as he covered his face with his free hand. "Y-You didn't tell me something so important... You d-don't trust me..." Jonghyun said before taking a few steps back and running out the door. "HYUNG!" Kibum shouted and ran after him.

Since it was raining very, very heavily, Kibum could barely see anything. He ran with pure instinct. He followed the black pants that Jonghyun was wearing. When Jonghyun ran across the road, he stopped mid-way. A sports car was racing towards him, honking loudly. He stood frozen by surprised. "HYUNG MOVE! DON'T STAND THERE!" Kibum shouted desperately.

But it was too late.

He stood there, tears mixed with the rain, looking at Jonghyun's body being hit by the car...

He stood there looking at Jonghyun's body landing on the ground....

He stood there looking at Jonghyun... Bleeding.

He snapped out of his daze and ran towards Jonghyun. He kneeled beside him and cried.

"Someone, help! Call the ambulance! PLEASE!" Kibum shouted as he cradled Jonghyun's bloody form in his arms

"HYUNG! STAY AWAKE! Don't close your eyes... I-I'm begging you... Please..." Kibum begged as he looked into Jonghyun's eyes. Jonghyun laid in his arms, eyes barely opened, coughing blood profusely. He stared at Kibum, mouth opening and closing. He wanted to say something, but nothing came out.

"W-Why won't you let me go?" Jonghyun choked out. Kibum just shook his head and cried harder, tightening his arms around Jonghyun. "J-Just don't go... D-Don't leave me..." Kibum stuttered.

Everything happened in a blur. They were both sent to the hospital. Kibum fainted the minute the ambulance arrived. The scariest thing was even when he was unconscious, his almost blue lips trembled like how his body did.

3 months passed. Jonghyun was the first to awake. Then Kibum.

 

Kibum opened his eyes. Although his body was aching, his head was throbbing and he was tired, he stood up with shaky legs. He reached for the door knob and twisted it open. He walked out of the room, using the light blue walls of the hospital as support. When he reached the counter, he was sweating profusely. For some reason, his legs hurt like hell. "K-Kim J-Jonghyun... Room n-number..." He choked out. His heart started hurting so he clutched onto the part of his shirt where his heart is located. "A-Are you okay?" The nurse asked. "Room..." Kibum replied. The nurse looked at him curiously before checking which room Jonghyun was. She told Kibum the directions. He leaned against the wall while walking. Finally. Room 818. He knocked on the door and pushed the door open slowly. He was about to say something but stopped when he saw someone in the room. "S-Sekyung noona?" He muttered in disbelief.  Jonghyun's Ex-Girlfriend was there. The said person stood up and rushed towards him. "What happened to you, Kibum!" She shouted. Then Kibum turn his head towards Jonghyun and walked towards him with Sekyung's help. "Hyung... Are you okay?" Kibum asked. Jonghyun stared at him, confused. "Umm... Who are you?" Jonghyun said and turn to Sekyung with a curious look.

"Jjong... You don't know who he is?" Sekyung asked as he stepped towards Jonghyun.

"Am I supposed to know him?"

"Jonghyun, stop playing around!" Sekyung shouted.

"Noona... Why are you angry? Did I do something wrong?" Jonghyun asked with wide eyes.

"Noona! It's okay! Umm... I'll leave. Sorry for disturbing your moment together." Kibum said and rushed out before tears started to fall.

 Sekyung ran out after him.

"Kibum-ah! What are you doing?"

"Noona... L-Let him be... Since he forgot about me... It's okay. I'm going to leave this world sooner or later... So don't tell him anything about me. You love hyung right? Then go back to 3 years ago when both of you haven't broke up. You were getting married right? So do it now. Get married with him. He has forgotten everything about us. About the 3 years we spent together. Since you're back in Korea and he loves you now... G-Go back to him. Don't worry about me..." Kibum choked out without looking at Sekyung,

"Kibum... I know about your disease... Minho told me about it. I admit I still love Jonghyun but I know you love him more than I do. So why don't you try to make him remember? I can forget about him easier since I haven't really seen him in three years but you... Y-You have been spending everyday, every minute of that 3 years with him. You won't be able to forget about him."

"But noona... I'm leaving this world already. I may die tomorrow, next week, next month, next year... I don't even know! So instead of making him remember, why don't keep things the way they are now? Both of you love each other. Jonghyun doesn't even know my name already. It'll be much easier this way... So... J-Just go back to the days when both of you didn't even know me okay? I'll leave... So hyung can be happy. So he won't be sad about my death... G-Goodbye. And remember to invite me to your wedding." Kibum forced a smile at Sekyung before walking back to his room.

 

Kibum's POV

I closed a door and slid down, clutching onto my shirt where my heart is. I cried and cried. I knew it would be better for hyung, me and Sekyung noona. It was better. I knew it. I've caused enough pain for both of them. I'll leave... so both of them can be happy. I looked at the ring that I was wearing with dead and lifeless eyes. After crying for so long, I was so tired. I stood and walked to the window with shaky legs. I took off the ring. I opened the window and I realised it was raining. I reached my hand out and with hesitant fingers, I let it slipped away from my fingers and drop to god-who-knows-where.

"It'll be okay. Endure the pain... Endure the pain..." I said and cried myself to sleep.

 

4 months later

 

"I hereby announce Kim Jonghyun and Shin Sekyung as husband and wife!"

The people cheered and shouted for the married couple. Both of them smiled at each other. At a corner, Kibum stood with tired eyes and sad smile. Sekyung looked around the church with a huge smile. Then her eyes landed on Kibum and her smile dropped immediately. She forced a smile at him with tears in her eyes. Kibum pushed himself from the wall he was leaning on. He waved a small wave as goodbye before heading to the exit. But when he was about to push open the doors, he fell onto the ground with a loud thud. Everyone turned their attention to him. Sekyung rushed down the aisle in her wedding dress and kneeled beside Kibum.

"N-Noona...?"

"Yes, yes it's me Kibum. Hang in there, I'll call the ambulance." Sekyung was going to turn around to someone when she was stopped by a small and cold hand.

"No need... It's wasting your time. Noona... Promise me that you and hyung will be happy, okay?"

Sekyung couldn't take it anymore. The tears rolled down her cheeks and she sobbed loudly. Jonghyun ran beside her and kneeled down. Sekyung looked at Kibum and nodded. Jonghyun was taking out his phone to call the ambulance but was also stopped by the same cold hand. "Sekyung n-noona... Smile at your wedding... Don't cry for me... You promised me so keep it. I'll see you next time." Kibum turned to Jonghyun with tear filled eyes. "Hyung... I know you d-don't know who I am... but I love you." Kibum smiled at him before slowly closing his eyes.

"No! Kibum! Don't close your eyes! DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES!" Sekyung shouted at Kibum and cried on Jonghyun's shoulders.

And that day, Kim Kibum, aged 20, left the world with smile and a thought in his head...

'Hyung... I love you but you loved me...

Be happy...'