First Diaper.

My son's father.

 

One.
3520 words






It was Sunday afternoon and I was at home. I was there on the couch, doing nothing but laying there with my earplugs on. It’s been a while since I had time like that, usually I would be with my girlfriend. We met 8 months ago and started dating like 2 weeks after. I asked her to be mine – literally – 3 months after that. And I was so happy when she said yes. The girl’s just so nice to be true, we were so alike it was a bit frightening.

And yes, maybe it is love. Was.

And we started dating during summer holidays. Now college began again, but she graduated last year and now she is working for some newspaper agency. So she is always … not with me. At least she’s not going out of Korea. Not yet. She is always gone and I’m a man of skinship so you understand how I feel lonely.

I am a college student and even with my part job, I have so much time outside school. I usually go out with Minho or Jinki or Wheesung hyung. According to who’s in charge for the day, we usually play sports or have a 4-hour lunch at Mexicana or we’ll go to the noraebang or just go partying. Yes we had to make turns, eating chicken every time we were to see each others became a no-no.

Since lately I did not have the chance to see her as much as before, I spent too much time with those guys lately. Well, the Chois – Minho & Wheesung – were okay but I had a bit enough of having to catch Jinki every time he will trip over nothing or just do those reflexions of his that often make me wonder if his parents didn’t discover him in an U.F.O, field crop circles and all that . The guy just says so much random things. We got used to it.

Anyway. So, today I didn’t want to go play soccer with them. I had a date with her but she called to cancel.

“Sorry Jonghyun-ah, I had this thing in Jeju and I thought I’d be back in Seoul in time but same thing came up so …”

“…”

“Jonghyun ? Are you there ?”

“Hm. I’m just happy I didn’t book in that new lounge restaurant I wanted to go with you. They said it was mind blowing. I know you like mind blowing things. But I guess it was not for today.”

“Jonghyun-ah~ , don’t blame it on me ohn !? It’s not my fault. I really, REALLY wanted t-”

“It’s ok.  I was prepared. I’ll just eat noodles anyway. When will you be back in town ?”

“I .. I don’t kn-”

“When ?”

“In .. two weeks ?”

“Oh.”

“I know darling it’s not me, there’s -”

“Yes I know, there’s always something. Listen, I have to go, you know, eat some chicken !? With the guys. So hmm .. call you later okay !?”
“No! Jonghyun-ah wait, don’t act like that, you said you would eat noodles. We have to talk about th-”

Ring Ding Dong.

“Ah, someone at the door. Gotta go. See ya. I’ll call you.”

And I hung up.

I know, this was a bit .. rude ? But I didn’t know how to deal with that. Yes, believe it or not I had just open the door and rang on the doorbell myself. Gosh, I’m so bad at times. I do random things to get out of it when I’m some situations I can’t handle. Arf.

Ring Ding Dong.

Wait. This time that was not me. Ohn !? I was not waiting for anyone. Maybe it’s her. Maybe she finally came. God why did I have to be like that with her. What will I tell her now. I don’t want to open. Maybe if I don’t open ..

Ring Ding Dong.

Noooo~ MJ just come and take me to that island where you are with Elvis Marilyn and Diana. I don’t wannaaa~

Ring Ding Dong. Bang Bang Bang.

Ok. That must be important for someone to 'bang' like that. Aish.

“Comiiiing!”

I got up and opened the door.

“Hm .. Hey. Ahem. Sorry for the bother but you are Kim Jonghyun.”

Nothing can stop me from loving You, you~ , you~ .

I was greeted by the sight of a pretty boy. Very .. pretty. I could not find another word right now. He had a baby in his arms. Wow.

Those eyes.

They looked familiar, the baby's eyes.

The baby was playing with the badges on the boy’s jacket.  The boy, he was really .. I shouldn’t have looked back at him I couldn’t move my gaze from his eyes now. Maybe it was that damn SHINee song. I noticed those voices had the weirdest effects on me sometimes.

Hm.

“Hrm. Hey ?” He waved in front of my face.

“Hm ?” He removed my earplugs and said again,

“You are Kim Jonghyun.” Was I ?

“Err .. yes, I am. May I ... help you ?”

“I’m .. Uhh .. can we not talk on the front door ?” he tilted his head to the side with an exhausted smile.

“See, We’ve been searching you for months and I’m kinda tired you see. I need to talk to you .. about Jongheun. Erm *cough* your … son !?” he said.

My eyes got wide at what he said.

“Whut ?” MJ boy, this isn’t the island I wanted, what the hell have you done ? “My .. what ???”

“Can you please let us in !? I’ll explain everything. You should sit, look like you're gonna puke or someting.”

He passed near me into my apartment, baby in one arm, he hold my hand with his other, took a quick look inside and led us to the couch, just after pushing the door close with his foot.

“Jonghyun-ssi, you ok ?”

“Water .. there ..” was all I managed to utter, motioning to the kitchen side of my small living room.
He chuckled and stood up. Put the baby in my arms and went to the kitchen.

“My .. son.”

I looked into those brown puppy eyes I now recognized as the ones I saw this morning when I was brushing my teeth. Just remove the bags under mine and there they were.

He was looking right into my eyes. He had longer eyelashes than mine, they were fluttering and with the sunlight by the window … The shadows they made on his high cheekbones were mesmerizing.

He bought his left hand to the side of my jaw line and whoa. His fingers were so petite, and so soft. He brush my jaw a bit before putting his index finger on my lips.

Man. Did I made this angel ?

“He seems to like you.” I heard the boy say, waving a glass of water in front of me.

“Erm. Yeah.” I gulped the water in one go. “So. You said he was … my … Hm …”

“Yes. You ok now ? You won’t faint or anything ?”

“Please go on.” I said. He sat down across me.

My mind was blank, I couldn’t register anything. Damn I was merely 21 and I had a child ? The only times I had I used and it was only with three girls. I know the risks even when you use those rubber things but it's not like we seperated in bad terms with those girls, and the last was in Jeju. Not like she would send a baby her-

Snap.

“Are you listening Jonghyun-ssi ?” the boy said after snaping in front of my face. He seemed a little pissed that I was not listening.

“Ah, hm, sorry. I’m just a little shocked, bear with me please.”

“Yeah yeah. F’you say so. Can I really go on now ?”

“Please. I’m focused.”

“So. What I was saying was. D’you remember going to the bank ?”

I nodded.

“Well, my twin sister wanted a kid. And even if it may seem odd to you, she didn’t want to wait to be married or something. Too much problems with past relationships. All bastards." He muttered the last part under his breath. “So she went there and .. here comes Jongheun.”

I stood there. Remembering that day I left home.

I was 18 and I just told my father I wanted to live on my own. My family owns the well known Kim Industries. And, saying my family is rich is like an understatement. But I just didn’t want my life to be driven by my father as it was for my noona.

Well, she liked it that way so it was no big deal and they already had her, so it was easy for my mother to let me go. My father, as long as he had noona there to take over the company if something happened, he had nothing to object. So I left home and stayed with Jinki until I’d find enough money to settle. Since I had never work in my life, it was hard to find something to gain money. Jinki let me stay at his place without paying but I was fed up of eating chicken everyday.

“But yesterday was fried chicken. This one is barbecued. Not the same Jonghyun, not the same. You’re just a kid, you don’t know anything. If you don’t I’ll eat it, just give it back.” Jinki would say. Ugh.

So I kinda jumped feet first when I saw that announce where you just had to give your seeds to have money.

“This is a great opportunity to make someone happy and earn money. Besides it’s not even sure your semence will be used, and even if it does you don’t have to worry about the consequences. We don’t give personal information to the women. You just have to be healthy and our agency is really selective.”

Why not !?

So I went and apparently I filled the criteria so, from there came the first rent to this place and I found a job a bit after that. But, wait,

“How did you find me Ermm … what did you say was your name again ?”

“I didn’t say it.”

“Oh. My bad. Kim Jonghyun.” I outstretched my arm to him. And just then remembered I still had my … the baby in my arms. I took a glance at him, he was peacefully sleeping. I would have stayed looking at him for hours if I had not been brought back to earth by,

“Kim Kibum. But call me Key.” He shook my hand a bit. How come his hands were as soft as the baby’s ?

“I know they’re not supposed to give personal information. But I got some … ninja skills. And I can be veeeery persuasive at times so … Yeah.”

I formed an ‘O’ with my mouth and nodded. I’d like to see that sometimes eheh. But that’s not the most important. I have a BABY. A en baby. I knew I would not have to deal with this when I went there, that’s the only reason I accepted ‘cause If my mother knew I made her a grandson without being married, I’ll be in big trouble there!

But damn. That’s just what I did right !? I’m so dead.

“But why ? Why now ? And why is it you and not the mother who came here ? Do you need money ? Oh my god you found who I am and you want money right ?”

“No! I ..”

I stood up in panic, a little teaser of what my mother would do to me if she found out playing in my head. I handed him the baby back and started pacing through my small living room, nibbling at my fingertips.

“No. This can’t be. I can’t die. And I don’t have money. I don’t even know where that effin' island is to go and hide there. And what now ? Maybe she already knows ? Maybe tomorrow it’ll be in the news ? Maybe they already toke the plane to com-”

“Bedroom ?”

“There.” I said showing the boy where my room was, as I continued saying nonsense.

He stood up and went there. Came back and stared at me randomly walking and blabling. I think I saw an eyeroll before he took my hand again, leading me to the couch and sitting on the table in front of me. He held my hands tight on my knees to prevent me from shaking and turned my face to look at him with one hand.

His intense gaze caught me again and I just stopped talking. That plus his palm on my jaw, I held my respiration and sensed the heat coming up my cheeks.

“Breathe.”

I exhaled.

“Good. Jonghyun-ssi, we are not here to-”

“Jonghyun. Call me, Jonghyun.” I said still looking directly in his eyes. Drowning in them.

“Ok. Jonghyun. We are not here to take any Won out of you. Look, my sister died giving birth to Jongheun.” He said. And I saw the sadness in his eyes. I just wanted to hug him right there but I was still mesmerized by his breath gushing on my face while he was talking. Gosh, why am I so weak ? I don’t understand.

“So I am the only one who took care of Jongheunnie. She made me promise, since she had complications during the pregnancy, and I said yes. So I am his father legally. But I just don’t wanted Geunnie to live without knowing any of his parents. It was ok for my sister that he would not know his father. But now that even her is no more here, I can't bear it that he wouldn't know at least one of you." He took a deep breath.

"So I decided to look for his father and see if he ever wanted to take a role in his life. I am not forcing anything on you. I can take care of him myself. But, I know what it is to grow up and wonder what your parents look like. And I don’t want that for him. So here I am. I only got your name, that’s what took me all these months to find you.”

It took me 3 full minutes to soak in all of what he said. And to regain a good heartbeat rhythm. I moved from his touch and leaned further in the couch. Looking at the white ceiling.

“How .. *sigh* How long have you been-”

“Five months.”

“Oh. Okay.”

“I know, it’s hard to take all of that in one go. But I’m not asking you anything. I just wanted you to know, you have a child out there. And if you ever wanted to know him that would be a good thing. I’m not here to claim anything.”

I nodded slightly, still looking at the ceiling.

“I planned on telling you that and leaving, to leave you time to think about it. But since Geunnie is sleeping may I just stay here until he wakes up ? It’ll soon be his dinner time anyway so he’ll wake up in no time. But if you don’t want we can still leave !? I’m sorry if I burdened you. Jonghyun-ssi ?”

I came back to my senses when I heard my name being called so softly. It had been such a long time somebody had been so gentle with me.

“Jonghyun. Just, Jonghyun.”

He tried hold in a smile.

“Yeah, Jonghyun. So ?”

“Hm ?”

“Can I stay and wait for Jongheunnie to wake up ? Maybe you have a girlfriend or something I don’t want to bother.”

“N-no! I mean ..Y-yes. I mean, *sigh*, no problem. I live a- a-lone so fill free to stay.”

Jonghyun, come back to your senses already, what’s wrong with you ?

“You can stay till he is awake. But not on the table, you’ll hurt your back like that.”

He chuckled and I imaginary facepalmed myself. Did I told you I’ll say random things when I’m a little off of things ?

“Ok. Thanks Jonghyun-ss- , Erm, Jonghyun.” He said standing to sit back in accross me.

“Do you, hmm, want something to drink ?”

“No it’s ok. Thanks.”

And we sat there. Not saying anything. Until his phone rang.

Ee bamae jeo kkeutkkaji Get it Get it Get it Get it on~ Get it Get it Get i-

“Deh~ Tae-baby what’s up ?”

“…”

“Deh~ we found him.”

“…”

“No he didn’t stab nor us.” he said laughing.

Crystal and loud laugh. I like it.

“…”

“He looks like Jongheun, of course he is !”

“…”

“He’s sleeping now. I’ll be back to the motel just after that so don’t worry. I’ll call you then.”

Motel ?

“…”

“This boy really. YAH, Lee Taemin. I told you I’ll call you back so just wait. I won’t forget."

"..."

"Ooohn~ . Kkutneo~” He said sweetly before hanging up, a smile on his face.

“Motel ?” I asked tilting my head to the right ?

“Yes, we came here from Daegu so we live there until … well, until we know what you is it you want to do.”

‘O’ . I nodded again.

“You don’t seem like a … bad person, and I suppose you don’t have spare money to put in a motel room since you have to take care of him. If it’s okay with your boyfriend you can stay here until … well, until …” I said scratching the back of my head.

I don’t know why but I trusted all what he said, even without any concrete proofs. I mean, did you see those Eyes !? The baby's, not his. Well, he's too. But that's not- Aish. And I just couldn’t let my ... son - heartbeat speeding - sleep in a Motel room. We all know what happens in those places. And it's not like I have so much things to do or someone who his occupying all the place I have left.

“Boyfriend ?” He looked at me confused. “Oh, Taeminie ? No he’s not my ‘boyfriend’ just my lovely donsaeng and best friend. So .. yeah. Are you sure ? She won’t mind ?” He said pointing to the picture on the cupboard.

“Hm ? Aaah. No don’t worry about her. Barely here anyway. And I won’t see her for 2 weeks so even if there’s anything let’s say you can be here for 2 weeks. You are my son's father anyway.” Okay. That came out weird.

“kekeke. You’re so random.” He said, laughing at me. “ Okay. We’ll do that.”

“Okay.”

“Okay.” He said, now looking at me. “Maybe I should go get Geunnie’s food, I kind of rushed here as soon as I got your address and forgot taking his things. I thought we would find no one again.”

“Hm, yeah. You do that.”

“Will you be fine ?”

“What , Why ?”

“With Jongheun next door, will you handle it ? I’ll not be long anyway, we’re not very far from here and his lunchtime is in an hour so I’ll be back then. Leaves you some time to think about this again." He looked at me and, "Don’t freak out, un-widen your eyes, I’ll be back soon. Geez, how do you even panic every time like that ?” He said giggling.

“But .. But it’s a baby. A baby! What if he wakes up ? And I try to hold him and he breaks ? And what if he’s scared ? And Ohmygod what if he cries ?”

He was smiling brightly at me now. He stood up to the door and I followed him, worried.

“Don’t worry, your son is strong.”

My son.

“He’ll not break like that. And he’ll not wake up, I’ll be back before a blink of eye okay !?” he said patting my arm. “FIGHTING!” he said making the fighting move towards me, before opening the door and living. He stopped at the corner of the road, waved at me, and then turned to go to the motel.

And I was left there. On my front step. I closed it before heading directly to my room to see that little angel face sleeping soundly on my bed. He was surrounded by my three pillows – yes I just have a big bed that needs many pillows. Feels lonely without them. What’s the deal ? – . Maybe in order not to fall if he moved ? Gosh he is so tiny, just like a smaller pink pillow between the others.

He's a boy, why making him wear pink ?

See, the kind of random thoughts that flies in this head of mine. Sigh.

So he was 'mine' hun ? And Key’s twin sister. No wonder they have the same manicured-like fingers and those feline features. Wait. When did I even noticed that ? And why was I even so mesmerized by Key all this time ? Man I even stuttered. I.stut.tered!

Thinking about it, it was a bit that feeling I had with her when we first met. But not the same. I mean I didn’t stutter and hold my breath, nor blush when she talked to me. What was this odd feeling I had when I saw sparkles in his eyes ? And that urge to reach out and hug him when he talked about his sister and growing without parents ?

I was going to continue my self-questioning when I heard a whimper. Uh-oh.

It was him.

Jong- ... Jongheun.

My s- ... Ohmygod, it's not the best time to panic right now.

I think I kinda woke him up since I was his hair unknowingly, he was looking at me and sniffing. I stopped my hand. I didn’t know what to do. Ohmygod what will I do if he cries ?

Just then, he cried.




||| Ohohow, people reading ? I hope so. Please tell me what you guy sthink about this. Just so you know, I'm a er for m-preg. Thisisahint ! Most likely I like the fact that Jongkey  pairings have kids. This is just one way to look at it, the boy sure ressembles both of them since he's Gwiboon's son eheh. So. The girlfriend has no name. I wrote this before the SSK thingy, and jsyk, Kim Jonghyun's Girlfriend's name is Kim Key Gwiboon. If not, then he has none :) .
Now, I have some ideas for the rest of this, but if you have hints of prompts I'd not say no to private messages ^^ . MP meeee~ .
Lub lub. Ok, forever alone =_=;)