Falling

Laces

Checking the time on my watch, I sigh. I caught the train just on time. Everyday, it comes as a routine for me to ride the train to the Main street -- because it takes me half an hour to arrive in the university. 

Hi, I'm Jiyong. I'm a college student, and a Music Production major. I'm actually in my second year. 

Back to the story, I search for a place to sit, but the train had more people than usual today, business meetings must have been pushed to an earlier time. 

Morning rush hour. Decidedly, I lean on to the silver pipe by the doors of the train, plugging my earphones to my player. BIGBANG's Sunset Glow starts playing through my ears. 

By the next stop, some citizens enter the train. Noticing a grandmother, I bow to her in respect, and then she was followed by a petite girl. Her hair was tied in a bun, and she was wearing her set of clothes for Gym class, provided by our university. She's a schoolmate of mine, most probably. She was carrying a lot of books. 

Curiosity hit me, have I seen her before? This was the first time I did, and we-- Jiyong, how could you know a random girl when there are a thousand of students from the university? But then again.

The monitor flashes a quick sign of its next stop, and it's the Main St. How long have I been watching her? Two? Three stops? I don't know. 


The girl had gone out, and I did too, following right behind her. 

My backpack had gone stuck to my earphones, so when I was busily removing it; I hadn't noticed that I had accidentally bumped into something, or stepped on something, I didn't know. All I heard was a crash behind me. 

I turn around, and find out it wasn't a something, rather a someone. I see her, the student, the petite girl, her, on her knees as her books got scattered on the floor right outside the train. 


Uh oh. I gulped, it wasn't just a commotion, but I embarrassed my self infront of her, too.


"I'm so sorry!" I immediately said, bending right down to help her. I manage to check her elbows and knees, just to know if she had hurt herself. 

"No, no. Don't be. It's okay, it's my fault." She said shyly, and then she smiled. What a smile. 

"My shoelaces were untied, and you accidentally stepped on them." She sheepishly said.

She then bends down to tie them up, snugly, this time. And then she stands back up and grins at me. 

I can't help but stare at her angelic face, was I drooling? Snapping out, I ask about her. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, absolutely worried, while helping her pick up her fallen books.

"Definitely, I’m fine." She said and attempted to take her books.

"Let me bring them for you, as sorry for the accident, we're going on the same place anyway." I grinned, showing her the logo from my ID.


"I should say no--"

"As colleagues, as schoolmates, anything." I begged.

"Well, I guess, since we're going the same way, too.." She hesitantly agrees.

"I'm Jiyong, by the way." I introduced myself, I wanted to shake her hand, but with all the books, I can't.

"I'm Dara." She shyly said. She's timid, she's flawless, she reads alot, and she's just, perfect. How did I not meet her on the train before?

"Was it your first time on the train? I ride it everyday but it's my first time to see you." I end up asking frankly.

"We just moved to a new house, in the past I'm from the other side of the train." Dara explains.

"Does that mean I would get to see you in the train every morning from now on?" I eagerly ask, hoping I don't sound too obvious. 

"Maybe?" Dara says as we walk to the university. 

I eye one of her books, Arts 101.


"You're from the Music and Arts Department, too?" I said totally shocked.

"Yea, you too?" She said cheerfully.

I nodded and showed her my ID as proof, it turns out, Dara was a second year student as well, but unlike me, she was a Fine Arts major.


We arrive shortly at the University's Main Gate.

"I guess you have Gym class now? So we'll head off to the Sports Building." 


"I.. Can take it from here.." She says,  trying to pick up her books from me.

"It's okay, Dara." I tell her sincerely. I want to take you to the building. I want to spend more time to know you better. 

"You might be late for your class." She worries. 

"It's fine." I insist. 


We silently walk to the Sports Building, while I was stealthily glance at her once in a while. Oh God, I sound like a teenager in love (maybe I am). 

"Here we are, thank you so much, Jiyong. I could really take it from here." She says, and this time, I have no choice but to give her books back to her.  

“Oh. Okay. Dara, about a while ago, I'm really really sorry for accidentally stepping on your shoelace a while ago, are you sure you're not hurt anywhere?"

"You've asked that a couple of time already, and yes, I'm sure." She smiles. 

"Thanks for helping me carry the books, next time I wouldn't bring too much so I wouldn't trip." Dara tells back.

“Thanks, I hope to see you again." I said while I scratched my head, this is goodbye.

"I hope so, too." She smiled at me. Maybe, tomorrow. In the train?

She was about to turn around when I called her again.


"Dara! Wait."


She looked at me, hopefully. I bend down and tie her loose shoelace.

"I don't want you falling again." I told her, I stand up and fix my uniform.

"If you'll be falling, it would just be in love with me." I wink. 

She chuckled and jokingly slapped my arm.

"See you soon." 

"Maybe later?" I grin, hopefully she says yes.

But Dara only smiles, and then answers, "Tomorrow, same time." She smiled and kissed my cheek.


She retreated and went to class, while I remained in my spot, seemingly stuck? holding my reddened cheeks.

Who knew a shoelace could make me such a good story? That one mistake could make love on its own? Who knew it was possible to fall in love with that stranger on the train? Almost immediately, almost just right.