i

Chasing Summer

Kim Myungsoo loved to play a game. He would dial a random phone number, call it, and check if he could do the same thing again the next day. It was only out of a whim back then, but soon, it became a habit. He did it because he got sick and tired of listening to the same voicemail his deceased mom recorded.

Hello, this is Mrs. Kim. I can’t answer the phone at the moment. Please leave a message after the beep.

It was a little after midnight when he decided to play that little game of his again. Myungsoo would usually get cursed at for calling so late, but he couldn’t even give a damn about that. There were times when the number he’d dial was already invalid, or nobody would even answer at all. However, he was bored, young and lonely. What he wanted the most in the world was to find that certain voice that would be able to match up with his mother’s.

He checked his logs, and figured that he had already attempted to make fifty calls that night.

“Fifty-first,” he muttered, as he dialed another string of numbers. He placed his phone against his right ear, and patiently waited for someone to pick up. On the seventh one, the call got answered.

Myungsoo waited for an irritated voice, a curse, anything. It didn’t come. He stirred beneath his blanket to look at his gloomy ceiling, and stayed silent. All he could hear was the person’s gentle breathing, and he was quite sure that his could be heard, too. He waited for the call to be dropped, but it didn’t.

Together, they basked in silence for ten, twenty, forty minutes.

Finally, Myungsoo scoffed, and said, “Good night.”

“Night,” the voice promptly replied.

He hung up, and stared at the phone number displayed on his screen with a tiny, amused smile on his face.

“Finally,” he whispered, as he saved it as Miss 51.

He had no idea why he finally decided to keep that random number, but the more he thought about it, the more she seemed to stand out. With the smile not fading away from his lips, he proceeded to close his eyes and sleep.

<:>

Bae Suzy yawned as she fixed her gaze on her phone, wondering who the stranger was. His ID was set to private, so she wouldn’t be able to call back. His voice intrigued her in a way; it was a little deep and airy at the same time.

“Night,” she echoed, before closing her eyes, only to think about that stranger who called and did nothing but breathe softly for forty minutes. Suzy hugged her pillow closer to her chest and nestled her chin against it. Her sheets rustled with the tiny movement she made, and before completely falling to a deep slumber, she took her headphones out to listen to several acoustic songs. They were, after all, her lullaby.


"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
- Luke 6:27

 

I'm getting used to writing something short in the first chapter. Heh.
Hopefully more things about the two will be revealed soon.
This is just the beginning.