Broken Glass

Breaking Glass

     Eunhyuk smiled as he glanced over at his best friend on the stage. He was perfect. Just right for a man like himself to be friends with...possibly more.

     However, it wasn't the unreturned look that caused the monkey's smile to fade. No, it was the wink that he gave. Not to him, though. To someone else. Eunhyuk tried to follow Donghae's gaze, but was unable to locate who ever it was. He then just shrugged it off as another form of fan service. Or, hope it to be.

     

     When they all got back to their dorm, they split off to their separate ways. Hyukjae, however, was determined to beat Donghae at a video game that he was unable to win at. He was going to force the boy to sit down, whether or not he liked it. 

     "Donghae!" Eunhyuk called out, placing the disk in the game system. 

     "What?" a disembodied voice called from a different room.

     "Get out here. I'm going to kick your !" Eunhyuk called back. He picked up another controller and sat down on the plush couch.

     "Yeah, yeah. I'll bring you down in a second," the younger replied. Eunhyuk grumbled a few things, setting up the video game as he waited for his best friend.

 

     He waited, and waited...and waited until he got fed up with the tardiness of the boy that he got up, walking to his room.

     "Donghae, what are you doing? I thought you said you were going to-"

    Donghae held up a finger signaling to hold on a minute as he continued to talk on the phone. Eunhyuk, however, felt disturbed that he was being told to 'hush.'

     "Oi! Are we going to play or not?"

     "I'm a little busy, right now," Donghae hissed, taking his mouth away from the speaker. "No, I was just talking to Hyuk. Yeah. Yeah, Friday's good for me, too."

     Eunhyuk anger began it's flame as he walked up to Donghae, ripping the phone from his hands.

     "Who is this? Minho? Donghwa? Well, I need Donghae, because I'm going to kick his on-"

     "Hello?" a female voice said from the other side. "Who is this?"

     "Mom?"

     "You're an idiot," Donghae muttered, standing up and taking back his phone from Eunhyuk. "Why the hell would I talk to your mother?"

     "I don't know, because she's nice to you?" Eunhyuk guessed, still a little surprised from the short conversation and Donghae's reaction to the conversation.

     "I've got to go. I'll right, I'll see you Friday. Yeah, talk to you later," Donghae said over the phone, his smile small, but sincere.

     When he hung up, the two looked at each other, Eunhyuk's mouth slightly ajar.

     "Who was that?"

     "Just a friend."

     "It didn't sound like just a friend-"

     "Can we just drop it? It really isn't any of your business," Donghae said, starting to walk out of the room.

     "How is it not my business. You're my best friend. Don't we tell each other everything?"

     "You don't, so why should I?"

     "I tell you everything!"

     "No you don't!" Donghae said, turning around to look at Hyukjae in the hall.

     "I tell you things you wouldn't even need to know."

     "Like what? What you ate? I already know that because we live together."

     "No, I tell you when I've used your toothbrush. Or when I'm wearing your underwear!"

      "What? You wear my underwear!?" Donghae asked, now surprised.

     Eunhyuk didn't reply, and only pursed his lips.

     "Okay, so I don't tell you everything, but I tell you what's important."

     "Hyuk, I wear the underwear. How is that not important?"

     "Ew! You don't brush your teeth?"

     "What? Nevermind, you're confusing me," Donghae said, rubbing his temples. He continued to walk away, Eunhyuk on his tail.

     "Just tell me who that was, Hae. It isn't so hard-"

     "She isn't important," Donghae said, turning around sharply and pushing Eunhyuk back slightly.

     "You talked to her instead of getting another chance to beat me. I think she's pretty important-"

     "Just drop it, Hyukjae," Donghae snapped, his face turning serious.

     Eunhyuk only took this as some sort of small joke, and laughed a bit, a small smile playing on his face. "Donghae, I just want to know who she is. Why are you getting so upset about this?"

     "I'm not upset!"

     "Oh, I'm sorry. I must've mistaken your excitement for anger. Donghae, just tell me. We're all friends here-"

     "She's my girl friend," Donghae said, his face still slightly irritated.

     Eunhyuk's however, turned slightly shocked mixed with an unreadable expression. They were silent for a few minutes before Donghae spoke up.

     "See, this is why I didn't tell you."

     Eunhyuk, however, remained silent, hurt inside. "Your g-girl friend," he repeated, not really wanting to hear the confirmation.

     Donghae nodded in an obvious way. "Yeah~. You know, hand holding, hugging, kis-"

     "I'm familiar with them, Donghae," Eunhyuk said quickly, putting his hand up to stop the boy from finishing the word. 

     Donghae looked at Eunhyuk, trying to at least understand what the man was thinking. "Are we done here?"

     "Why didn't you tell me about her? We're friends, aren't we?"

     "Because if I told you guys about Hana, you'd all want to meet her, and who knows how you'd act towards her. Not to mention, you'd be awkward," Donghae explained.

     "I'm not awkward-"

     "Hyuk."

     Eunhyuk was silent before speaking. "Hana's a pretty name," he said, glancing away.

     Donghae only looked at him, his expression blank. "Yeah, it is. A pretty name for a pretty girl."

     The awkward silence surrounded them again before Eunhyuk spoke.

     "What made you change your mind?"

     "About what?"

     "About....us."

     Donghae looked at Eunhyuk, trying to find some sort of emotion to take. "What about us?

     "What made you change your mind about us? About what we were?"

     "We weren't anything."

     "Oh really, because you seemed to be awfully touchy on stage."

     "Exactly. It was on stage. We've always been like that."

     Eunhyuk went silent again before looking Donghae directly in the eye. The intensity made Donghae want to wince.

     "Then what about the words you said to me? Were those for on stage, too? Even though we weren't on stage?"

     "What words? 'I love you?' I said that to everyone."

     "No. Not those words."

     "Hyuk, I said a lot of things to you-"

     "You know what I'm talking about, Donghae," Eunhyuk said, his voice raising slightly. Donghae looked at Eunhyuk before letting out a sigh, letting his head turn to look away.

     "I didn't mean them that way."

     "It seemed like you did-"

     "Well I didn't," Donghae snapped, his stare turning back to Eunhyuk.

     "Then why did you make me fall in love with you? Huh? Explain that!" 

      "What are you talking about? I didn't do anything like that-"

     "Don't lie to me, Donghae."

     Donghae let out a groan and started walking back to his room. "You need to sleep, Eunhyuk. You're just talking crazy now-"

     "You said you wouldn't leave. That you wouldn't change. What the hell happened, Donghae?" Eunhyuk snapped, his anger rising.

     However, Donghae was calm about this whole situation He turned around to face Eunhyuk closer to the end of the hall. "People are always going to change, Hyuk. Did you really expect me to stay the same for years and years so that when you came back from fantasy land, I'd always be there for you?"

     "That's what I assumed, yes!"

     "How is that even fair that you found someone to love, but I have to stay alone? I wanted happiness this time!" Donghae snapped back. Eunhyuk just looked at the boy, an angry expression playing on his face.

     "I didn't love her! That's why I wanted to come back to you! The least you could've done was told me about her. But no, you just had to keep it a secret! Do you know how much that hurt!?"

     "We're best friends, not lovers, Hyukjae. Don't act so high and mighty," Donghae said. He let out a huff and walked away to his room.

     Eunhyuk let out a groan and stomped out the door.

 

     He didn't know where he was headed. It was getting dark, and a lot colder than he expected. He really should've brought a coat. It was already getting to winter here, but he wasn't thinking. He was too angry at Donghae to even think. 

     Eunhyuk walked and walked until he reached a small gas station. The cold was getting worse as the sun continued to go down. Eunhyuk didn't know how long he was gone, but his hands were starting to get numb from the cold. Eunhyuk fished around in his pockets for some kind of tender, but couldn't find any. Instead, he walked back to the bathrooms to turn on some hot water to warm his hands.

      Eunhyuk let the hot water fall over his frozen hands, his body rushing with relief. A slight smile appeared on his face. He looked into the mirror. Though it was a little dirty and cracked in some places, he could see the giant 'EUNHAE' scribble on the stall door behind him. All the things that made him angry about what had just happened with Donghae came rushing back, almost making him wince. He had gotten out of the dorm to forget about that, but something always made him remember. His hands, which started to regain feeling, started twitching slightly. His face wasn't happy anymore. In fact, it looked a little murderous. Nothing could ever go right for him, and it drove him crazy. He just wanted to live a happy, peaceful life with Donghae and the others, but someone was always going to get in the way. In this case, some chick named Hana was the unwanted guest. 

     Eunhyuk's hand started balling into a fist as he couldn't take seeing the large scribble on the restroom stall door. And within seconds, and no thought about it, Eunhyuk smashed the mirror, the large sign now just a cracked reflection with blood dripping down. 

     Eunhyuk's hand hurt like hell, but he was too angry to even notice anything. Instead, he just walked out of the bathroom and sat on the curb, letting whatever happen happen.

 

     "What are you nervous about?" Eeteuk asked, walking up behind Donghae on the roof.

     Donghae looked behind him at the older man approaching. He then turned back, pulling the cigarette out of his mouth to release the smoke.

     "I'm not nervous," he replied, placing it back in his mouth.

      "Donghae, you only smoke when you're really nervous. And by the looks of it; you're really nervous," Eeteuk said, motioning to the ground were a pack of cigarette buds lay around the boy. "How many packs have you gone through?"

     Donghae shrugged, throwing the finished cigarette on the ground like the others and stomping on it with his heel. "I dunno. Two?"

     "Is it something about Eunhyuk?"

     Donghae shrugged again, pulling his lighter and another cigarette out of his pocket. Eeteuk grabbed Donghae's hands, slowly bringing them down from his mouth. "Why don't we walk about it. You know, like humans do," he said, giving the fish a smile. 

      Donghae looked at him like a little boy, but nodded, turning to face him.

     "What happened between you two?"

     "Well, he got upset because I didn't tell him about Hana, so he stormed out. He's been gone a while, and I've tried calling him, but idiot left his phone here. Leave it to Hyuk to make everyone worried about him."

     Eeteuk nodded. "Hana?"

     "My girl friend."

      Eeteuk nodded again. "Well, congrats on your relationship. But, did you guys have an argument?"

     Donghae nodded slightly, looking down at his feet, his hands stuffed deep into his pockets.

     "Do you want to tell me what it was about?"

     Donghae shook his head slowly. Eeteuk let out a sigh, but rubbed Donghae's head. "I think if Eunhyuk knows you worried this much about him, he'd forgive you for whatever happened."

     Donghae looked up at Eeteuk before nodding. 

     "Now, let's go look for Hyuk, shall we? We don't want that monkey getting hurt."

 

     By the time Eeteuk and Donghae had found Eunhyuk, the gas station had closed and it was pitch black outside. Eunhyuk's lips were blue and he looked slightly pale, his arms close to his body for heat.

     Donghae walked up behind Eunhyuk, pulling off his jacket and resting it on the monkey's, sitting down next to him.

     "Did you have a fight with a window?" Donghae asked after a little. 

     "It was a mirror."

     Donghae nodded, clasping his hands together as they both stared at the area in front of them.

     "It won."

     The younger let out a chuckle, looking over at Eunhyuk. "Let's go home. You're still looking to get you whooped, right?"

     Eunhyuk looked at Donghae with surprised eyes. "But--I thought-"

     "She was a nice girl, but I'm more attracted to primates," he said, a small smile creeping on his face. Eunhyuk was unresponsive for a second before breaking into his famous gummy grin.