The Resolution.

The Rain

 

You could feel yourself slipping further and further away from reality, breaking into smaller and smaller pieces every time you walked past him.

But you never said a word.

You were alone now, and it was your own fault. You could’ve chased after him, but you didn’t. You watched him walk away, step by step as the rain came down around him and soon, swallowed him up.

Another day. No. Not just another day.

This one, you knew, would be different from the others.

Because today, you would speak. Today, you would finally leave that rainy day behind and face your fears. Fears of being hurt, of fighting, of falling.  

Today…you wouldn’t wear any make up.

You took your time walking to school, alone. Your boyfriend hadn’t been the one. He hadn’t been Minhyun. So you let him slip away, just like everything else; you let the rain wash him away.

It didn’t take long for you to spot him; it never did. Your eyes would draw towards him automatically, and make him stand out. Just like every other day, he was walking towards you – no, past you. But this time, you wouldn’t let him. Something wet dripped down your check and you looked up at the sky, eyes widening in surprise at the gray clouds they spotted. More droplets followed, and soon enough there was a steady drumming of water hitting pavements, roofs, any surfaces it could find.

It was a rainy day.
You wouldn’t let it hinder you.

“Minhyun,” you called out softly, before he could drift past you without a word, like he always did. His eyes widened and he seemed to do a double take, freezing mid-step before turning to face you.

“…___?” he whispered. A soft breeze picked up and brushed against your skin, calming your fluttering heart. You nodded, never breaking eye contact. “Hi,”

“Hi,” you responded, your voice louder now. More audible.

 But still not loud enough to be heard over the pitter patter of the water around you .You could still see him walking away from you, disappearing.

“I’ve missed you,” Minhyun said, and suddenly the world around you fell away. There was no school, no students. Only Minhyun, you, and the rain coming down around you. Your voice caught in your throat, and you found yourself unable to speak.

Maybe things weren’t supposed to change for you. Maybe you were meant to live your life, forever haunted by the constant pitter patter.

He was turning, ready to walk away again; you could feel it. You wouldn’t let him. Not this time. Not again. Before he could turn away, you reached out to grab his hand in yours, keeping him where he stood. “Stay, Minhyun,”

“..Why? You don’t need me,” he was still pulling away. Still slipping out of your grip.

“Because I love you, and I’m not afraid,” you said then. Loud and clear.

The downpour quieted, as if anticipating your next words.

“I love you, Minhyun. We grew apart, because we were afraid. I don’t want to be afraid anymore; I don’t want to be afraid to run after you. You’re my everything and nothing will change that,”

Not even the rain can wash away how I feel.

“___...I love you too. I always have. I just don’t think we should be together anymore. We’ve changed,”

Tears streamed down your face, mixing with the water pouring from the sky as the rainfall picked up. Around you, people rushed for cover, unnoticed.

“Damnit Minhyun why won’t you listen to what I’m saying?! I love you, and I didn’t chase after you then so I’m doing it now. No matter how much we change, my feelings are the only thing that will never waver!” you cried out. Suddenly arms encircled you, your head, soothing you.

“I’m glad, ___, I’ve missed you so much. But I still don’t know. I’m still afraid that we’re not the same anymore. I don’t… How about we start over, as friends?” his voice whispered in your ear, as he pulled away slightly. Your gaze met with his, so full of un-reconciled longing, and then his lips were on yours. You returned the kiss, pouring months of heartache and regret into it – but also love. He pulled away moments later, his touch still lingering.

“Minhyun?”

“Hm?”

“Since when do friends kiss?”

He smiled as his only response, and somewhere far off in the distance, over his shoulder, you spotted a rainbow.

“Let’s go warm up together,”

Maybe the rain wasn’t all bad.

---

Please let me know what you think. D: