{Jongwoon's Story}

Another Adventure

Thought I was done, did you? (Okay, to be honest, so did I...) 

This is just a short little scene or two from Jongwoon's perspective about waking up and finding out what happened to him. It covers the time span between when he was 'reborn' and when he gets to see Ryeowook again! ^^ I hope you enjoy! <33


 

Jongwoon opened his eyes.

It was something that he hadn’t been expecting, in all honesty. He was pretty much positive that his heart had stopped and that he had died there, on that hospital bed, but here he was, opening his eyes.  To be honest, what was even weirder than that was that there were five people looming over him, on their faces a mixture of surprise and curiosity.

“Is this him? This has to be him. It looks like him.”

“Who else would have materialized in the middle of the floor? It’s not like pixies can use transport magic. That’s why we have wings!”

“Well, I wasn’t really expecting him to materialize in the middle of our floor…”

“The whole thing was experimental magic; how were we supposed to know how it would work? It’s never been tried before! I wasn’t even expecting him to materialize anywhere!”

“But look! He has wings and everything! We must have done something right!”

Jongwoon cleared his throat and suddenly all five pairs of eyes were trained back on him, which he found slightly unnerving, but he took a deep breath and plowed ahead with his question: “What, exactly, is going on?”

Suddenly the five figures straightened, watching as he slowly sat up. “We’re the pixie Elders!” they chorused, grinning.

“I’m Jaejoong,” the one on the far right said, then gestured to the others. “This is Junsu, Yunho, Changmin, and Yoochun.”

“Hold on; I’m a human. How am I seeing the pixie Elders?”

The one named Junsu laughed, shaking his head. “You’re not a human anymore, Mr. Kim Jongwoon.”

Jongwoon’s eyes widened considerably and he stood up fully, suddenly painfully aware of the large, gray-tinted wings that were starting to unfold from his back. He turned in a circle, trying to see them, and ended up tripping over his own feet, landing in a heap on the floor once again. “B-b-but how…?” He sputtered helplessly for a moment before looking up at them, his entire face a mask of confusion.

Yoochun laughed. “Magic!”

“Pixie magic! Some of the strongest in the land!” Yunho chimed in, looking proud as he slung an arm over Junsu’s shoulders. “Your friend Ryeowook came to us for help. He wanted you to get well again.”

“But n-now I-I’m—”

“Hey, you’re healthy!” Junsu said with a shrug. “You just also happen to be a pixie.”

I’m a pixie?

Changmin sighed. “How many times are we going to have to say it before it sinks in?”

“I’m…I’m a pixie!” Jongwoon’s eyes suddenly lit up and he laughed gleefully, patting his own limbs and experimentally trying to flex his wings. “A pixie!” He jumped back up to his feet. “Where’s Ryeowook? I need—”

“Hold on there, Jongwoon.” Jaejoong raised an eyebrow. “First, we need to teach you some things about being a pixie.”

---

Jongwoon spent most of the next day attempting to fly. He wasn’t very good at it, but he supposed that was because he’d spent the entirety of his twenty-five years on this planet with his feet very firmly planted on the ground and now he had to get used to actually using the two wings that had sprouted from his back. It was amazing how quickly he adapted to being a pixie. Everything was basically the same, minus the wings; he was just a little shorter, that was all. The Elders had given him a quick pixie history lesson and told him the basic pixie rules and mannerisms, but he was just antsy to get to Ryeowook.

He flopped down in the middle of the meadow, his wings drooping. “When do I get to see him?”

Jaejoong, who was taking his turn helping Jongwoon learn how to fly, sighed. “It’s a three day flight to get back to your house and you can barely fly in a straight line. You don’t even know the way to get back there. You’re going to have to wait a little longer.”

“But I can’t! He doesn’t even know I’m alive! What if he’s upset and tries to do something drastic?”

“Ryeowook wouldn’t do that.”

“Why can’t one of you fly there with me? That would work, wouldn’t it? You could show me the way and help me learn how to fly all at once!”

“The Elders are not allowed to leave this clearing.”

“And why not?”

“We are required to be here to help any pixie that comes to us needing assistance of any kind.”

“But there are five of you! Surely one can leave!”

“We are stronger as a group! If there had been only four here when Ryeowook had come asking for our help, you wouldn’t be here, Kim Jongwoon; you would be dead.” Jaejoong turned his sharp gaze on the new pixie and Jongwoon felt himself shrink back into the grass, immediately regretting what he’d said.

“I…I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” He trailed off, staring down at his feet.

Jaejoong’s face softened. “Let’s just focus on getting you able to fly, okay? I know you want to see him and, the faster you learn, the sooner you’ll be able to.”

---

It was one of the Elders’ assistants that ended up leading him back to his house in the forest and then toward Ryeowook’s little cluster of trees. It was a long three days of flight, one with a lot of mishaps and exasperated sighs, but they eventually made it. Henry was the first one to see them flying up and he dashed forward, much more graceful on his wings than Jongwoon had been. The assistant fluttered off to find Jungsoo, leaving the two boys alone.

“No way! I don’t believe it! Hyung, is that really you?” He reached out, patting Jongwoon’s face and arms, laughing excitedly. “The Elders’ magic did this? Oh, god, wait till Ryeowook hyung sees you!” Henry’s shoulders suddenly slumped and he sighed. “He’s been crying ever since he came back from the hospital, hyung. Sungmin hyung told us about how he’d gotten something from the Elders but said that it didn’t do any good because you’d…well, you know.” He brightened, flying circles around Jongwoon, who was having trouble just hovering. “But this is brilliant! And you can live with us now, since you’re a pixie and all, and Ryeowook hyung is going to be so excited and—”

“Henry! Henry, c’mon, you’ve gotta help me with…” Sungmin’s voice died in his throat when he flew into view and saw who the youngest was talking to. “No way,” he breathed out after a minute of silence. “No way.”

“Um, where’s Wook? I need to talk to him,” Jongwoon said softly, very aware of how both of them were staring at him like he was an alien species.

“No, no, no, first to Jungsoo hyung,” Sungmin countered, grabbing his arm and beginning to pull him toward the nearest tree. “He’s gonna want to see this.”

---

After the assistant explained things to Jungsoo, Jungsoo had to re-explain them to the others, and then he was left alone with Jongwoon, staring at him like he was sizing him up.

“So you’re one of us now.”

Jongwoon, feeling very much like this was a test he had stumbled into without being prepared, gulped and nodded slowly. “Yes.”

“And you still love my brother?”

“Always will.”

Jungsoo smiled, catching Jongwoon completely off guard. “Well, you better take good care of him, okay?”

Jongwoon nodded dumbly, but he had the feeling that Jungsoo had just officially welcomed him into their little family.

“Let’s go see Ryeowook.”

---

Jongwoon waited outside while Jungsoo talked to Ryeowook, and his heart clenched when he heard the sniffles and the pain in the younger pixie’s voice. After a moment, Jungsoo reappeared next to him.

“Go see him. He’s been missing you long enough,” he whispered, and, smiling, he darted off to join Sungmin and Henry in making a special welcome dinner.

Taking a deep breath, Jongwoon fluttered inside the hole in the tree, folding his wings as best he could and staring at the small frame curled up on the bed. He slowly reached out, his fingers resting lightly on Ryeowook’s shoulder.

“Please go. I really can’t…”

Jongwoon winced slightly at the younger man’s voice and he took another deep breath.

“Ryeowook.”

And suddenly Ryeowook whirled around to face him, his eyes impossibly wide and his face full of shock and desperate hope.

“Jongwoon hyung!”

Jongwoon felt a smile break out across his own face, and he opened his arms as Ryeowook launched forward. He held the smaller pixie close, his heart beating rapidly; ever since he’d woken up to find himself just slightly over five inches tall, he’d dreamt of this moment, but it was far better than anything he could have imagined.

“Hi, Ryeowook.”