Runaways

My Addiction

Two years have breezed through quickly ever since Bom, Jiyong and their friends all passed the audition and joined YG Entertainment as trainees. It was as if the hands of time moved in fast speed. And in those two years, a lot had already happened.

Bom, unable to keep her time balanced between school and practices, had decided to quit school during her third year in high school. Jiyong, too, had given up on his schooling. He has been practicing and training twice as hard than any other trainees in the company. It was only Dara left who still continued with her studies, although she got held back by a year.

Bom also felt the pressure of being a trainee. Her face had lost the baby fats from her cheeks. And just by looking at her, she seemed to have lost a considerable amount of weight. Their diet were strictly regulated, along with regular exercise and physically demanding training. It has been so long since Bom had eaten corn, and she kept on craving for it.

"I want my cooooorn," she would whine numerous times to Dara, especially during the night.

And during this certain afternoon, Bom was supposed to be with the rest of the female trainees in the basement dance practice room. Except that she wasn't feeling it. Instead, her small frame was huddled inside a closet at the corner of the locker rooms. She sat on the ground and hugged her knees to her chest. Her long hair, now dyed red, was bunched up in a high ponytail and bangs framed her face.

She craved for her corn. She craved for her Jiyong. It was probably almost two weeks since they've last seen each other. Jiyong had been so busy lately. Aside from dancing, singing and rap practice, Jiyong also took the initiative to learn songwriting. He had been spending most of his times with Teddy Park. His free time, which he usually spend with Bom, were now close to zero.

Jiyong, my monkey, bogoshipeo, she thought. 

Suddenly, she heard a creaking noise from outside. Someone had opened the door to the locker room and came inside. Bom was afraid that she might be found out. Just today, I don't want to practice. Just today, I want to be with Jiyong, she thought while she prayed that she won't be discovered. She kept her head hung low, buried under her arms.

The closet opened, and she felt someone squat in front of her.

"There you are, my lady," she heard a voice. His voice. Jiyong's voice.

"J-jiyong-ah!"

"Dara called me to tell you were missing." He said and gave her head a small pat. He then stood up and offered her his hand. "Why don't we runaway?"

"Eh?" Bom asked but still accepted his hand. "Where to?"

"I dunno," Jiyong shrugged. "Somewhere far from here. Somewhere up high."

Bom frowned as she try to think of some place they could go, if only for now. Aish, won't we get find out eventually? she asked herself. But still, she placed her faith with Jiyong, and entwined her fingers to his.

"Ready to run?" Jiyong asked her with a smile.

~~

The two found themselves near the Han River, in a familiar place where they spent a day with each other two years ago. They were, once again, at The Corn Land which is only open for one month, once a year.

"Omo, I haven't been here since our last date," Bom exclaimed as they walked around.

"Yeah," Jiyong nodded. "I can't believe it's been two years already."

"Ohhh, remember when we were here before, we still haven't auditioned yet."

"Uh-huh, but things sure have changed now."

"Yeah."

The two stopped in front of the large ferris wheel at the middle of the amusement park. It was the highest and farthest place they could think of, away from YG building. With hands clasped together, they lined up and waited for their turn to ride the corn-shaped carriage.

As they climbed inside the carriage, they sat next to each other. Things really have changed since the last time they've been here. Bom was no longer afraid of heights. And Jiyong have gotten rid of the regret he once had when he saw the MV filming crew two years ago.

The two looked out the window and into the cloud-scattered sky. They rose up higher and higher until the people below seemed just like tiny little ants. They were nearly at the peak when the carriage stopped moving for a while.

"Isn't it nice here?" Bom exclaimed with a smile. Jiyong smiled back at her and kissed her cheeks. He had missed her so much, especially when he spent late nights alone or with Teddy hyung writing and rewriting lyrics. And since he thought of Bom all day long, all his written lyrics were full of Bom.

Jiyong pushed back a strand of Bom's red hair behind her ears. Bom suddenly blushed at the sudden gesture. She stuck her tongue out at him. 

With a creak, the carriage began its slow move down, back to the ground, back to where they first started.

"Do you want to ride again?" Jiyong asked. But Bom shook her head and gave a bright smile.

"Gwenchana," she assured him. "I'm ready to go back to training. I realized that today seemed like just an escape. It is different from the time we were here two years ago..." Her voice trailed off. Jiyong got closer to her and gave her a hug. He wrapped his arms around her shoulders. And then he felt his phone vibrating from inside his jacket's pocket. He took out his phone and looked at the caller ID. Lee hyungnim.

"I guess it's time to go back to reality?" Jiyong said and showed her his ringing phone. They were reaching the ground soon.

"I'm ready to go back," Bom said with a nod. "We can't escape forever."

"That's my Bom," Jiyong exclaimed and kissed her on the lips before answering the call. "Hyungnim, ye, ye, I'm with her." he said to the receiver. "Ye, algesumnida, ye."

Bom squeezed Jiyong's hands as the carriage came to a halt. The door opened, and the two stepped back out to the world that they just ran away from a while ago. We can't be runaways forever, she thought.

~~

"What in the world were you two thinking?" Mr. Lee scolded the two when they arrived back to the headquarters. They were called to the dance practice room where the rest of the trainees were also there.

Jiyong and Bom stood in front of the other trainees with their head hung low. They both bowed and apologized for their behavior.

"Seonsangnim, it's not Jiyong's fault," Bom explained. "I was the one who dragged him out of the building."

"Aniyo," Jiyong protested. "I was the one who took her to the amusement park!"

"B-but I was the one who skipped practice in the first place. Please don't punish Jiyong."

"Ani, ani, ani," Mr. Lee shook his hands. "There's no punishment for you two. I just want to remind you that you two should be serious and busy with your preparations."

Bom still had her head hung low, but Jiyong glanced up at Mr. Lee with wide eyes. Mr. Lee cleared his throat and paced left and right before standing in front of them.

"You two have to train hard," he said. "Since the two of you are going to be debuting soon."

"EH!?" Bom and Jiyong both said at the same time.

~~

Ahhh, 2 more chapters to go before the end... 3 BUUUUT, here's a teaser (?) to a new GBOM fic I'm working on! I will be publishing it after I finish My Addiction 3