oo2

Stairs To Heaven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a melancholic spring day…

It has been a day since Sueji said goodbye to me. I don’t know why but each day has become painfully longer, absent and distantly deprived.  I haven’t seen Sueji for a couple of days  (though it feels more to me like weeks without end).  

I have called and texted her phone many times.

Never once did she answer, nor reply.

Almost like a pair of hands violently squeezing my broken heart, the memories of Sueji’s speech the other day flood back like a downpour of bitter rain, an icy lash upon my soul, one that I could not bear. With a cruel smirk she had casually told me that she was bored dating me. How could my innocent Sueji become such a strange girl, an unrecognizable figure of coldness? What exactly did happen to my girlfriend? Or she really changed? The thoughts shook me like a tempest as I stood their unable to rebound.

I just wonder if I should learn how to erase her from my life or not. She betrayed me after all, abandoning me while I had such love in my heart. I thought Sueji was pure, innocent and faithful. But this is what I’m worth receiving from my crush whom I trust completely.

Was I wrong? Or was there more than what she was telling me?

Anyway, the fact that I’ve lost Sueji still exists! Although I’m trying in vain to find a way to change it, she doesn’t seem to come back with me at all.

I’ve just came home from Sueji’s house a few days back, unable to sleep as I clutched my head with this unfamiliar insomnia. The beautiful memories between us don’t leave me, they stay with me through the night with a lingering presence.

Still I remember Sueji’s strange behavior. She isn’t at home. Even her mom is being very worried because Sueji’s close possessions and traveling bag are missing as well. She goes travelling after breaking up with me?! Bae Sueji even still has a good mood to enjoy a trip? True or not, beats me.

But the problem is she left home without any words. How did my girlfriend because such a stranger to me in a blink of an eye.

 

A haunting thought arises: What really did happen?

 

My phone rings while I am consumed with thoughts of Sueji.

 

It’s Jieun.

 

I sigh and answer her call with a dispirited tone.

‘Myungsoo-ah! Have you seen Sueji today?’ She asks me and I can feel her curiousness.

‘Haven’t.’ I reply with a empty voice although the reality is that I just couldn’t sit still because of worrying so much about Sueji.

‘Let’s meet!’ She continues to talk after a short awkward pause.

‘You have something to talk about?’ I ask back.

‘Hmm… Nothing special. I just want to see you.’ Jieun’s says shyly and hesitatively.

‘Okay. I’ll wait for you at the park close to your house.’

I can’t think of any meeting place instead of that park. I, Sueji and Jieun used to play there when we was really young. The park belongs to my childhood memories; and it also reminds me of Bae Sueji whom I always love with all my heart, mind, and soul.

 

 ***

 

‘Lee Jieun.’ I can see Jieun easily from afar. She’s sitting on a bench, thinking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter