Payphone

Payphone

 

Here they were again, gathered around the table, eating after a shoot.

“You guys were amazing! It was great working with you.” The director shook the hands of each member of JYJ before leaving to settle in his own table.

Jaejoong nodded a thank you at him then turned to the other members to congratulate them when their youngest caught his eyes, “Junsu?”

Junsu was poking the crab placed in front of him with his chopsticks.

“Junsu?” called Yoochun but that didn’t get the guy’s attention either.  Yoochun and Jaejoong exchanged worried glances; it was rather rare that Junsu was spacing out.

Yoochun held Junsu’s arm, finally gaining the latter’s interest. “What’s up?”

“Crab…” he replied.

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow at him, “What are you talking about? Don’t you like crab?”

“Changmin.” Junsu sighed.

Yoochun slowly took his hand away from Junsu’s arm and shook his head, “don’t…”

Junsu looked up at the older members, “But-”

“No, Su, we tried. We did.” Jaejoong gave off a sad smile to silence the other singer.

But it only caused him to grab on Jaejoong’s arm and say, “Can’t we try again? There’s no-“

“Junsu, enough” Yoochun lowly spoke “we tried everything; there’s nothing else we can do.  And they’re very busy, you know that.”

“There’s gotta be a way!” tears now b in the maknae’s eyes.

“I’m sorry Junsu, okay. We tried.” Jaejoong gave Junsu’s shoulder a pat.

--

 “Junsu-ya, don’t think about ‘em. Just… we’ll fix this eventually.” Jaejoong bid Junsu as he gave him a warm hug before heading to his car. Yoochun nodded a goodnight and boarded his van.

As the two drove off, Junsu stood still in the parking lot. “Don’t you wanna go home yet?” asked his manager. He looked at him and went, “I’m gonna take a walk.”

“Are you sure about that? It’s late. You might get caught by fans. C’mon.”

Junsu mindlessly just followed his manager.

“Cute? Jun-chan? Are you kidding me?” Changmin’s mocking voice echoed in Junsu’s ears. “His face itself is a joke” “Xiah is my religion.”

Junsu was battling whether he should laugh, get mad or cry. Changmin made him feel like a fool most of the time and it was definitely annoying but it gave him a permanent place in his life.

Do you have anything to say to JYJ?

No.

Tears finally rolled down Junsu’s cheeks. He has no idea how much he hurt Changmin, he doesn’t know how he feels about him now, he knows only as much as the fans do.

The car slowed to a stop in the parking lot, “Junsu-ya, are you okay?” manager asked as he turned to him.

Junsu wiped his face, “Yup” he croaked, “Thank you for your hard work.”

He got off the car and stood in front of the entrance. As soon as the manager drove away, Junsu left the parking lot.

There was one way he couldn’t be detected when he made a call.

He headed to where that red booth was and took the receiver.

Searching his pockets, he realized he only had a few change. It might only last a minute or less but it didn’t matter as long as he heard his voice.

With a shaking hand he inserted the change in the slot and dialed his number.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

Junsu’s heart pounded at every ring, what if he doesn’t answer? What if he doesn’t want to talk to him? What if he-

“Hello?”

There he was already, on the other line.

“Hello? Hello?” Changmin’s voice was growing impatient.

Junsu swallowed, “Ch-Changmin-ah.”

There was a short silence.

Changmin’s voice shook as he said, “Junsu-hyung?”

“Changmin-ah…” was all Junsu could muster to say, “Changmin-ah”

Tears were falling uncontrollably and he was definite that Changmin knew that.

“Hyung I miss you.”

Was all Junsu heard him say before the voice recording interrupted and told him that he did not have enough credit to continue the call.

-END-