Chapter 32

Later

Before running toward her, he noticed the blood gushing out down her leg. His forehead creased upon hearing her call out to him, and then she fell. He quickly caught her. He disregarded their pushing cart and the people around them, pushing through his way to the car as fast as he can.

He gently laid her down the passenger’s seat, utterly nervous, sweat dropping from every side and angle of his face. He bit his lower lip, obviously thinking of the negative. He didn’t know why she got lost, he didn’t know whether he’d blame himself, and he didn’t know how the scenes got too fast that the last thing that flashed on his mind is the image of Ella’s leg—with streaming blood.

The minute Ella was settled in a stretcher, ready to be admitted to an ICU, he hastily called Hebe. The mobile almost slipped from his hand from utter nervousness and her hands were also sweaty, yet he didn’t care. Before Hebe answered, the phone slipped off his hand and he had to pick it up again.

Almost out of breath, Chun began speaking, “Hebe, Ella, Ella,” he kept saying her name, yet couldn’t say out what the problem was.

“Ella is what?!” Hebe in utter confusion began to worry as well.

“Ella is at the hospital,” Chun said, almost in a whisper, still trying to accept the utter truth.

“Why, why?” Hebe asked, almost in tears even if she still didn’t know what the reason was.

“Go to Show Chwan, now!” Chun exclaimed. “Immediately, immediately,” and then Chun’s voice faded just like a dream just as Hebe got back to reality.

“Calvin,” she turned to her right. “Can you bring me to the hospital?”

“Who’s in danger?” he enquired.

‘Don’t say that,’ Hebe was trying to calm herself, trying to tell herself that Ella’s life isn’t in danger. “My friend is. Now, if you can just drive fast.”

I guess you couldn’t call it a coincidence anymore as to why Hebe and Calvin are often seeing each other. Eventually was it that they started seeing each other, without any particular reason. Maybe it was because they were really just fated to meet or really, there’s no reason behind it at all. Now, whether or not Calvin’s turned straight, we still don’t know.

.
.
.

The minute the doctor stepped out of the ICU was the time Chun stood up from his seat and from the background, Calvin and Hebe arrived.

Upon seeing as to who the man was that was in front of the doctor, Calvin’s mouth opened agape, not believing that it was him. Yes, it was Chun - Wu Chun, in fact. It was just a couple of weeks ago that he last talked to her sister about him, and here he was… right in front of him was Chun and he wondered who the one in emergency is and what Hebe is to Chun.

“Chun, Chun, how’s she?” Hebe enquired, immediately rushing to Chun’s side.

Immediately, Calvin followed forth, utterly confused, “I don’t get it. I really don’t get it. Hebe, who are you? Who’s in the ICU unit and what is Wu Chun doing here?”

“Calvin, can you please shut up!?” Hebe yelled in frustration at the confused Calvin who was trying to draw conclusions and an answer to all of his questions, but he knew he could only keep quiet until everything’s settled and they could all talk it all over.

“Mr. Wu,” the doctor nodded. “As I was saying… I’m sorry to say that the baby couldn’t make it. Ms. Chen… she’s undergoing state of miscarriage.”

“What are you talking about?” Chun enquired with so much sweat forming all over his face.

“Judging from the situation they’re in, the baby couldn’t make it,” the doctor said. “But, actually, it’s either Ms. Chen takes the risk and the baby stays or the other way around.”

Now, in Calvin’s mind… Upon hearing the address of Ms. Chen, started forming clearer conclusions in his mind. He had a suspicion that she is his sister that they talking about, but he doubted so, knowing that his sister was just fine the last time that they talked to each other.

Hebe, on the other hand was quite in a blur too. Never did Ella tell her she was pregnant, nor did she have so much contact with her best friend these past few weeks and she regretted it as much as she regretted reuniting with Calvin once again. It hurt her that Ella didn’t have anything to say to her or the fact that she didn’t even bother contacting her, but she felt guilty too, knowing that Ella isn’t the only person at fault.

“Can’t you do something about it?” Chun enquired with so much frustration he’s been feeling.

“I’m sorry,” the doctor apologized. “But we could only save one life.”

“Then,” Chun paused and found the ground utterly amusing. “In that case, is Ella fine? As much as possible, I want Ella back, I want my girlfriend back!” Chun yelled like crazy as he stumbled on the ground and fell from his current position. One didn’t need to figure why he was like that. Heck, he’s being asked whether or not he’d want to save his girlfriend or their baby. He knew it was a hard decision to make; it was a hard step to have made the baby live in Ella’s womb even just for a few weeks, but what really mattered to him was Ella and how she is now. He badly wanted to see her, he badly wanted to undo the incident, but nothing would change—and he knew that very well. He tried insisting on his mind to just let Ella stay, considering the fact that perhaps, they baby couldn’t make it out alive.

“Hebe,” Calvin shook Hebe. “Tell me, who’s the patient? What’s her name?”

“For once, couldn’t you comfort me and really zip your mouth?” she enquired. “I’m crying, you know? I barely knew about this all. My best friend didn’t tell me anything about this, really,” and Hebe muffled out a hard cry before giving in and settling down on a chair.

She watched Chun who ran a hand through his face, and through his hair, trying to pull of all his hair out of frustration.

“Ella, Ella, Ella,” he kept saying, and immediately, Calvin got the idea.

“My sister!” Calvin exclaimed. “Whatever happened to her?” he went up to Chun, helped him up to his feet and looked at him in disgust. “You rascal, you left her before, and then you come coming back making her pregnant. The after effect of this, I never know if she could handle it, considering the fact that she walked out on me on that day that she found out.”

“Cal, Cal,” Hebe pulled Calvin off of Chun, and pushed him down on a seat. “You never told me that you were Ella’s brother.”

“Am I in the position to?” he enquired, still feeling so much misery. “In actual fact, she’s the only family I have.”

“What about the Chen’s?” Hebe asked.

“I broke ties with them,” Calvin said. “Ella’s the only one who’s still in contact with me up ‘till now.”

“What will we do now?” Hebe asked, her mind in complete emptiness. Her brain wasn’t cooperating with her mind, and she’ suffering from the sudden incident. “Could we at least help Chun?” she sniffed, and hastily wiped her tears away, knowing that if they couldn’t help Ella, at least they could help Chun cope up with the situation.

And then, she stood up.

“What are you going to do now?” Calvin asked.

“Get Chun’s mind working,” Hebe said. “If Ella’s in that situation, surely, she wouldn’t want to see Chun suffering just as much as she is. Calvin, give me a hand, we’ll fix this before the operation finishes.”