Hello Yuri

The Dollmaker

 

 

  Hello Yuri,

 

 Your mother had such pretty hair.
You inherited it from her. 
I hope yours never get soaked in blood.

 

 Yuri stared at the note. She looked around and saw the deserted streets were empty, before gripping the small doll in her hand. It always came with this. The notes were always delivered with a small hand made doll, of porcelain skin and raven hair. She supposed it was meant to be her, and unlocked her front door. She took her shoes off and patted her dog hello, leading the gigantic St. Bernard's to the kitchen. She put the doll on the counter and sighed, reaching for her dog and squeezing him. It has been years since she found it terrifying. It started three years ago, just after she got home from her parents' funeral; a small doll containing a note inside her stomach was waiting for her. She had unfolded the note, and then read through it with growing horror. 

 

 Hello Yuri,

 

 You looked beautiful at the funeral today. 

Your parents must be proud; but they wouldn't approve of me being there.
After all, I was the one who had run them down.

 

 She had screamed and cried for help, phoning the police in hysterics. Once she had calmed down, the officer asked her if she's seen anyone suspicious at the funeral. She shook her head. They had merely sighed and promised to investigate, but Yuri didn't receive any comfort from this. The criminal had left no trace of whom he was; always near but unreachable, leading the police to think that he was imagined by Yuri. They had dropped her case and she was forced to live in terror, scared of her own shadow and confined to the walls of her home. Over time she found that he was no threat to her, although her mental stability had taken a serious blow. She had to look over her shoulder twice whenever she went out of the house; lines appearing at her forehead and wisps of her hair have started to drain of their colour. She got up and filled Berny's water container, patting his warm head and savoring the smoothness of his fur. 

 

 

 

 

 Hello Yuri,

 

 I have an utmost desire to meet you. 

I've held myself back for years, for fear or your rejection, but I must face you.

I haven't got much time, and time my dear, is a fleeting memory.

 

 Yuri's hands trembled. A click was heard, the barking of a dog and the world collapsed under her feet. 

 

 

 

 

 "Hello Yuri."

 

 Yuri's eyes fluttered open at the sound of a voice. The room was dark, but the light was on her. A spotlight that burned her eyes and caused her to raise a hand to shield herself. She slowly got up, her focus adjusting as she tried to make sense of what was happening to her. This wasn't her home that much was clear; and a man she knew belonged to him spoke that haunting sentence. She had simply named him The Dollmaker.

 

 "What do you want?" she asked softly, her eyes scanning the room to find some sort of shape. A figure in the dark moved, and Yuri braced herself. It was a man who wore loose clothing, but didn't hide his broad shoulders and obvious height. He was wearing a black demi-mask, concealing half his face but not his eyes. His eyes intrigued Yuri. They were dark and ran to one line, and where she expected malice found a gentle softness. His posture didn't speak of a confident man either; he shuffled towards her with his head bent and his hands in his pocket. 

 

 "I just..." there was a low and rough timbre to his voice. He looked even more uncomfortable now, with his large frame shifting from one foot to another, as he tried to form words in his mind. Then he dug into his pockets and got out another doll, then tossed it at her lap. "I can't talk very well."

 

 "Save your dolls," Yuri said, tossing it aside. She wanted to know why she was here, and what he plans on doing to her. "You need to tell me what you're doing."

 

 He fidgeted some more. Then he looked at her straight in the eyes. "I want to keep you."

 

 Yuri stilled, trying to process what he meant by his sentence. He saw her confusion and he looked even more uncomfortable. Before he could stop her, she jumped up and snatched the mask off his face. The band that secured it snapped, and he recoiled from her while clutching his face. Yuri held on while he tried to push her from him, panting from the effort. "What do you want from me?!"

 

 "No! Yuri-ssi, you can't look at me!" he cried, still hiding his face from her. It was still dark in the room, but the light that was on her caused some illumination, and she could just see the line of his jaw. They continued to struggle with each other, until Yuri slipped backwards and he tried to protect her. They both tumbled onto the floor, with the heavy weight of the man knocking the wind out of Yuri. She let out a loud 'oompf' before she looked up to see his face. She gasped.

 

 Lines of wrinkled skin appeared on his temples, the flesh sagging and distorting his face. His eyes looked back at her in anguish, then tore himself from her and fled from the room, clawing his face as his wounded cries echoed in the walls. Yuri sat up, stunned as she recalled his face. The way he looked back at her... it was as if somebody had told him to face what he feared the most. The terror in his eyes was clear as he watched her eyes trail over his scars... Yuri wanted to know who he was. So she picked herself up and, seeing the doll she discarded, took it with her. 

 

 She crept upstairs, crawling through the house as she tried to find him. The entire house was shrouded in darkness, and she was forced to feel her way through the empty corridors. What struck her the most was how bare the place was; there weren’t any pictures on the walls or even furniture. The whole place looked as if there wasn't anyone living in it. She found the stairs and crawled up on all fours, feeling the soft carpet as she slowly made her way up. A door was open to her left, and she peeked inside. A shadow was tucked in the corner, rocking backwards and forwards as it muttered to itself. Yuri crawled in, careful not to startle him. When she was only a few space in front of him she reached out to nudge him. His reaction to her touch was instantaneous, and he jumped back from her. "Please. I don't want you to come near."

 

 "Then why did you take me here?" she asked. "Why did you take me here, only to push me away again?"

 

 "It's always been complicated where you're concerned," he muttered. Yuri didn't accept this. 

 

 "You killed my parents," she said calmly, while he didn't react. "Tell me what happened." It was strange; for years she's thought about how she would react if she met her parents' killer. And now that he was actually here, she didn't even feel hate. She just wanted to know why. She nudged him again. "Tell me."

 

 "It was an accident!" he burst out. "I didn't mean to..." he retreated even further from her and disappeared even further into himself. Yuri crept closer and shook him, allowing him to continue. It seemed to work, because he paused before propping his chin onto his forearms. "I was driving to a place. I can't remember where, only that it wasn't important. That cross road was always tricky to look out for. I didn't see their car approaching, and then I... collided with them..." he refused to look at her. Yuri almost felt annoyed because she was comforting him, and not the other way around. "I'm sorry Yuri-ssi. I never wanted to take your parents from you... the same way my parents were taken from me." He glanced at her and looked away again.

 

 "Why don't you ever look at me?" she asked.

 

 "Because I don't like seeing what I want the most," he turned his gaze in her general direction, but his eyes never met hers. "You're torturous to me Yuri-ssi."