Chapter 2

Confession

 

L.Joe put down his card. Nayeong frowned. “Tsk. You won’t go easy on me, huh?” she said, scanning through her set of cards, finding the right one to beat him.

They were playing in Nayeong’s room, which was small, but had it all to herself. L.Joe was in a t-shirt and checkered long pants sitting against the wall while Nayeong who was in a big white t-shirt and cotton shorts sat back against her bed. L.Joe looked at the only sound maker in the room, the clock on the wall. It was past 12, but what fun would it be to sleep early on a holiday? He looked at Nayeong, who was too absorbed in scanning through her cards. He closed his eyed for a second.

Suddenly he was sitting on a hill. It was dark and he couldn’t see anything. He sensed someone. Someone familiar. His companion was sitting very closely next to him. His companion was Nayeong. All of a sudden he confessed to her. As he confessed fireworks suddenly shot up, brightening their faces. Nayeong was smiling. Tears were falling, but they were tears of joy. He brushed his hand through her hair, then down to her cheeks. He moved closer. Close enough to smell her. Suddenly…

L.Joe gasped. He felt the hard wooden floor of the cabin against his right side and looked at his surroundings. The clock in Nayeong’s room was still ticking. The light was also still on.

He sighed in relief. It was just a dream.. He said to himself, slapping his cheeks lightly to get rid of the blush. Suddenly he realized something. The smell of Nayeong was still here.. He turned around to find Nayeong sleeping only a few inches from him. His eyes widened in shock. Her innocent sleeping face and her messy hair made her look even cuter in his eyes. Before he realized it, the blood rushed to his cheeks again.

As he tried to move away quietly, something unexpected happened; Nayeong her lips. L.Joe froze, he couldn’t keep his eyes off it. She it again. L.Joe’s heart beat faster and faster. A cold sweat dropped down the side of his face.

“L.Joe…” she mumbled in her sleep. She reached out her hand and grabbed his t-shirt.

L.Joe’s face was as red as a beet, but was as cold as ice. His heart was about to explode. He wanted to get out of the situation, but at the same time was waiting to see what would happen next. He gulped nervously.

“L.Joe,” she mumbled, her lips again, “Give me your ice cream.. I’m still hungry. You don’t want it, right?”