Only Reminds Me of You

Only Reminds Me of You

Notes:

Italics Black = thoughts

Italics Blue = Song Lyrics

Gray Font = Flashback

 

 

 

I tried to run from your side

But each place I hide it only reminds me of you….

 

 

 

Summer 1994

 

“Yuri, give me back my hat” a little girl is seen chasing her friend around the backyard.

 

“You have to catch me first Sica”

 

“How can I do that? You’re a fast runner and your legs are longer than mine”

 

“Well, that’s your problem”

 

“You’re so unfair Kwon Yuri!” Jessica stopped running and yelled at Yuri.

 

“Hahaha”

 

Yuri also stopped running and walk towards Jessica. She placed the hat in Jessica’s head.

 

“Yuri, Jessica, come inside and have your snacks”

 

“Ok umma. Let’s go Sica”

 

“Yuri ah”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Why are you so unfair to me?” Jessica asked.

 

“I’m not being unfair to you. I just like to tease you” Jessica pouted.

 

“Hahaha…remove that pout and let’s just go inside.”

 

The kids entered the house and ate their snacks.

 

 

Present

 

“Kwon Yuri”

 

“Oh Jessica, what’s up?”

 

“Why didn’t you wait for me? I thought I told you that we would go to school together today?”

 

“If I didn’t go to school ahead of you, surely I would be late just like you” Jessica pouted.

 

“Sheesh…remove that pout. It doesn’t make you cute”

 

“Yah!” Jessica slapped Yuri’s arm.

 

“Ouch! I’m just kidding. Come on let’s go to the cafeteria”

 

“Alright”

 

While walking, Jessica noticed that Yuri’s arm has many bruises.

 

“Yul”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why do you have so many bruises?”

 

“Oh these? Maybe I got them when I work out yesterday”

 

“You’re pushing yourself again”

 

“You know how I like to work out”

 

“I know that but you should take more care of yourself”

 

“I will, I will princess. Let’s order now”

 

They order their food and ate quietly till their friends join them in the table.

 

“Hey Yuri, Jessica”

 

“Hi Taeng, Hi Fany” Yuri greeted back

 

“Hello” Jessica also greeted back.

 

“Yul, why do have so many bruises? Working out again?” Taeyeon asked Yuri

 

“Yeah, I work out yesterday”

 

“You shouldn’t push your self Yuri”

 

“That’s what I told her Tiff” Jessica said.

 

“Okay stop with my bruises, what’s the update love brids?”

 

“Us? Just the same” Taeyeon answered while holding Tiffany’s hands.

 

“Oh geez, please stop with the PDA” Taeyeon and Tiffany just laughed.

 

“What about the two of you?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“What about us?” Yuri asked.

 

“You guys looked perfect for each other” Tiffany said.

 

“Sheesh, stop joking. We’re only best friends, right Sica?”

 

“Ye-yeah, we’re just best friends”

 

“Aww…too bad, you two really suites each other.” Taeyeon said.

 

~KRING~

 

“Oh, lunch’s over. Let’s go back to our room Sica” Yuri said.

 

“Al-alright”

 

“Bye guys see you later after class” Taeyeon said.

 

“Okay. Bye”

 

The two went back to their room. Yuri noticed that Jessica is being all too quiet.

 

“Hey Sica, are you alright?”

 

“Huh? Yeah, I’m alright” The teacher entered their room.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, I’m sure. Let’s just listen to the teacher”

 

“Okay”

 

They pay attention to the class and no one speaks or even utters a single word till dismissal time.

 

“Okay class, I will expect all of you tomorrow to help in the preparation of the school festival. Dismiss”

 

All the students packed their bags and went out of the room. When, the two are already outside the school. Yuri said that she will walked Jessica home. When they arrived at Jessica’s house, they’re still not talking to each other till Yuri broke the silence.

 

“Umm…I’ll be going now. See you tomorrow”

 

“Yeah, see you tomorrow” Jessica entered her house and Yuri left.

 

 

 

 

--------------------

 

(Jessica’s POV)

 

I entered my house and went to my room. There is a space in my window where you can sit so I sat there.

 

The truth us I was hurt when Yuri told Taeyeon and Tiffany that we are just best friends because I saw her as more than a best friend. I have feelings for her ever since way back we were little and it only grew everyday but I’m afraid to tell it to her because I don’t know if she also feels the same. I love her very much but I don’t want to ruin our friendship.

 

I stopped my train of thoughts and watch the night view in front of me.

 

-----------------------------------

 

(The next day)

 

I went to school 30 minutes before my first subject. I don’t know why but I want to go to school early today. When I entered the classroom, I saw a bag. It was Yuri’s bag.

 

She’s here already? But where is she?

 

I decided to look for her. I went to the cafeteria but she’s not there nor the library, even the rooftop.

 

Where could she be?

 

Just then I heard noise coming from the auditorium. I went inside and there she is, playing basketball. She’s wearing her jersey. She’s a basketball player. I watched her playing by herself. When she was about to do a 3 point shoot she noticed me so she stop.

 

“Oh, Hey Sica, You’re early today”

 

“I just feel like going early today.” She walks towards me. “You’re stinky Yuri. How long have you been playing?”

 

“Uh…30 minutes?”

 

“What? You’re one hour early?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“Geez…go take shower in the locker room and change clothes. I can’t take your smell”

 

“But Sica I still want to play”

 

“No, stop playing”

 

“But-”

 

“No more buts Kwon Yuri” She pouted

 

“Okay”

 

So, she went to the locker and did her business. After 15 minutes, she went out of the locker fully dress in her uniform.

 

“Hey princess, I’m done”

 

“You kkab, you’re necktie’s crooked”

 

I fixed her necktie. While I’m doing it, I can feel that she’s staring at me.

 

“There, its looks fine now”

 

“Thank you Sica”

 

She smiled at me. My face started to feel hot. I know that I’m blushing so I look away to hide it.

 

“Le-lets go now”

 

“Alright”

 

We went out and go to our classroom. While walking I saw that her arm has many bruises again.

 

“Yuri”

 

“What is it?”

 

“You have many bruises again and it’s more today”

 

“Oh, it is? I thought it was still the same” She doesn’t sound worried about it

 

“Yul, I’m serious. Please take care of yourself”

 

“But Sica, I am taking care of myself. I also don’t know why I have many bruises.”

 

“Maybe you should go to the hospital and have a check up”

 

“Hmm…when I have the time”

 

We went inside the classroom and chat with other classmates. Yuri is close with boys so most of her friends in our classroom are boys. They’re not that far away so I can overhear their conversations.

 

“Hey Yul, are you alright? You look kinda pale” Our classmate Onew asked her.

 

“I’m fine. I’ll just go to the washroom”

 

“Okay”

 

When Yuri said that, I turned back my attention to the girls whom I was talking with. I was about to join there conversation when we heard a loud thud. It was Yuri. She collapsed near the door. Right away the boys carried her to the infirmary. I was about to followed them but the teacher that was about to enter our room said that our nurse will take care of her.

 

Our teacher proceeds with her lecture but my mind and attention is still on Yuri. I’m very worried. Why did she collapse all of a sudden?

 

-------------------------------

 

It’s lunchtime and I was about to go to the infirmary when I met our school’s nurse in the hallway.

 

“Miss Narsha” I called her.

 

“Yes Jessica-shi?”

 

“Is Yuri still in the infirmary?”

 

“I’m afraid not Jessica-shi”

 

“Where is she?”

 

“I don’t know but her parents fetched her a while ago”

 

“Oh is that so? Thank you Ms. Narsha”

 

“You’re welcome”

 

After that she left while me I went to the cafeteria. I joined Taeyeon and Tiffany in our usual table.

 

“Hey Sica, we heard what happened. Is Yuri alright?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“I don’t know. I was about to go the infirmary but Ms. Narsha said that Yuri is no longer there because her parents fetched her a while ago”

 

“Oh, I wish we can visit her but we need to stay late for the preparation of the school festival”

 

“I almost forgot about that”

 

“Jessie, aren’t you going to eat?” Tiffany asked.

 

“I’m not hungry”

 

“Not hungry or you lost your appetite because you’re very worried about Yuri”

 

“That also”

 

“All we can do now is hope that she is fine now”

 

“You’re right Tiff”

 

----------------------------------

  

(At Jessica’s house)

 

It’s already 8 in the evening and I just got home. My parents and Krystal is still not home yet so I was all alone. I’m not in the mood to eat so I turn on the television and find any show worth watching but I can’t find any. I suddenly remembered the videos that my faher recorded when I was little. I went to the storage room and search for the videotapes. When I found it, I played one that is entitled “Jessica and Yuri’s pinky promise”

 

 

(At Jung’s Backyard)

 

“Do you promise that Yuri?”

 

“Yes I promise” We intwined our pinky fingers and made a pinky promise

 

“Hey Kids, what are you doing there?” My father asked us.

 

“Appa, Yuri promised that she will be with me forever”

 

“Is that true Yuri?”

 

“Yes sir”

 

“Stop calling me sir. Just call me uncle”

 

“Yes uncle”

 

“Now that’s better. So you promised to be with this little lazy girl forever, I will allow but in one condition”

 

“Huh? What is it uncle?”

 

“Promise also to take care of her forever” Yuri smile widely at what my father said.

 

“I promise uncle.” She held out her pinky finger to my father. Appa did the same and they made a pinky promise.

 

The video changes scene, it is now at Yuri’s backyard. Yuri’s playing basketball all by herself while me, I just watched her. My and her’s family is having a little party but there is occasion. They just want to have some fun. Again, my father went to us with his video camera.

 

“Hey Yuri”

 

“Oh, Hi uncle. Recording again?”

 

“Yeah” Appa noticed that I was just watching them.

 

“Hey little princess, why are you just watching there?”

 

“I don’t know how to play basketball”

 

“Oh, Yuri, come here” Yuri ran towards me and appa

 

“What is it uncle?”

 

“Could you teach Jessica how to play basketball?”

 

“Sure”

 

“Really Yuri? You’re going to teach me?” I asked excitedly.

 

“Of course”

 

“You promised?”

 

“I promised”

 

That day Yuri taught me but I find it difficult so I gave up. The video changes scene again. It was the Christmas party we had last last year. It was me who is doing the recording.

 

Yuri just finished her dance performance so I went to the backstage with a bottle of water.

 

“Yuri”

 

“Hi Sica, did you watch my performance?”

 

“Of course and you’re so awesome and cool”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yep. Oh yeah, here’s your water”

 

“Thanks”

 

“Yuri”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Can you teach me how to dance?”

 

“I promise” Yuri smirked.

 

“Why promise?”

 

“I know you will ask that later”

 

The video ended. I want to watch the other videos but my eyes feel heavy already so I took a bath and go to sleep.

 

I hope I can see you tomorrow Yuri

 

-----------------------------

 

(After one week)

 

It’s been a week since Yuri’s incident happened but she still doesn’t go to school yet. I also haven’t heard anything about her. I couldn’t get to visit her because of the week long preparation for the school festival. I really miss her. My life was incomplete this whole week.

 

I’m on my way to go home when suddenly my phone vibrate. I got a call from Yuri’s mother.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Jo6aMadAQ) Click for background Music

“Hello Miss Kwon?”

 

“Jessica dear, please go to Seoul Hospital”

 

“Right now?” I heard crying sounds

 

“Yes dear”

 

“But why?”

 

“I’ll tell you when you get here”

 

“Okay, I’ll be going now”

 

 

I hailed a cab and went to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital, Miss Kwon is at the reception. I went to her. I can see that she has bloodshot eyes.

 

“Miss Kwon”

 

“Jessica dear follow me”

 

I followed her. We stop outiside at a room, and it says in the patient name is Kwon Yuri.

 

What? Yuri was hospitalized?

 

I saw Taeyeon and Tiffany in the nearby chairs. They’re crying.

 

Why are there crying? Did something bad happen to Yuri?

 

 

“Jessica dear” *sniff* “Yuri is….Yuri is….”

 

“Yuri is what Miss Kwon?”

 

I don’t like the where this conversation is going to

 

“Yuri, she…she…she passed away already”

 

When Miss Kwon said that, I felt a bomb was thrown on me. I felt the tears are starting to fall from my eyes.

 

“Wha...How did that happen?”

 

“The day she collapsed at the school, we fetched her and we went directly to the hospital and she was diagnosed with leukemia. We tried to do all the treatment but her body refused. We also tried to find a bone marrow donor but no one matches her till she said that she won’t take any medications anymore”

 

“Is she…is she still inside?”

 

“Yes”

 

I entered her room. There I saw her lying in her bed lifelessly. I went to her and caressed her cheeks.

 

“Yah, Kwon Yuri. Why didn’t you tell me? Why? Why?” I talked to her like she’s still there.

 

“Don’t you know how worried I was? I don’t know what I will do this past week”

 

I couldn’t take it anymore. My heart is aching so much.

 

“Why did you leave me? Huh? You promised that you will be with me forever. You promised that you will take care of me. You even promise that you will teach me how to dance!”

 

I release all the sorrow in my heart.

 

“Now how can you fulfill all that? How Yuri? How?”

 

I didn’t notice that her mother is behind me. She tapped me on the shoulder and handed me an envelope.

 

“She told me to give this to you” I opened the envelope and read the letter

 

 

Hey princess, if you’re reading this it means that I already went to the other side.

I wan’t to tell many things to you but first of all, I wanted to apologize.

I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about my illness. I don’t want to see you sad and worried so I decided to not tell it to you even to Taeyeon and Tiffany.

 

Jessica, you know that you are the most precious person to me. I guess you’re thinking that it is normal because were best friends but no. That is not my reason. Jessica, I love you more than a best friend. I already fell in love with you when were still young. I didn’t confess to you because I don’t know if you also felt the same and I don’t want to ruin our perfect friendship.

 

Also, the promises we made. I know you love making promises with me. If you’re thinking that I can’t fulfill all those promises because I already died, no princess you’re wrong. I will still continue to fulfill all that, especially the promise we made when we were little that I will be there for you and will take care for you forever. I maybe not physically there but I know that I will still be there in your heart right?

 

I love you so much Jessica. I do truly love you with all me heart but I have to say goodbye now.

 

Goodbye my beautiful princess…

 

Your awesome best friend

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Yuri

 

 

Right after I finish reading the letter, I ran away. I ran away endlessly around the town. I didn’t give any attention to those people who I bumped. I just ran away.

 

Why are you like this Yuri? Why are you so unfair? Are you teasing me again?

 

I got tired of running so I stopped. I didn’t realize that I stopped in Yuri’s house. I look at her room’s window.

 

I will no longer see you waving at me dorkily whenever I look at window.

 

I started to run away again but I eventually slowed down. I’m in front of a café shop, the café shop that we always hang out when we want to go out.

 

I will no longer have someone who will always treat me a coffee caramel.

 

My heart started to ache with all the memories in my mind so I run away again. I stopped in front of our school where all the best memories I had with Yuri happened.

 

How can I let you go Yuri, if all the place I go holds a memory of you and me?

 

 

How could I ever let you go
Is it too late to let you know?

 

I tried to run from your side

But each place I hide it only reminds me of you….

 

 

I got exhausted so I went home. My family is already home. There are all quiet.

 

I guess they already knew it.

 

I went to our backyard and lie down on the hammock, the hammock that we love to share. I covered my eyes with my arm and started crying. I let it all out in this backyard because this place is our favorite place.

 

-----------------------------

 

It’s been five days since she passed away. Today is her burial day. They just finished burying her and everyone are starting to leave the cementery.

 

“Jessica dear let’s go” My mother called me.

 

“I’ll stay umma”

 

“But-”

 

“Let her” My father said.

 

“Alright just be back before dinner”

 

They left with Krystal. I’m all alone now. I kneeled down in front of Yuri’s grave and cried.

 

“Yuri, I don’t know how I will start moving on. I can’t let you go easily.” It started raining hard.

 

“Are you also crying Yuri?” I felt a gush of wind passed by me.

 

“Is that you Yuri? Are you comforting me?" I closed my eyes

 

“Move on my princess” I heard her voice.

 

“Yuri?” I look to the dark sky.

 

“I will Yuri but it will take a long time because you are my life”

 

I take a last look at Yuri’s grave and stood up.

 

“I love you Yuri with all my heart”