01.

breaking all the rules (if it's you) [major editing]

 author's note: FIRST RE-DONE CHAPTER!!! (pls don't hate me)


 

Luhan groans for the umpteenth time that day, massaging his temples as if it would even do any good to lessen the migraine, and wishes the ringing in his head would just stop

“You okay?” 

Luhan groans again but looks up to give Yixing a curt nod. “Yeah... It’s just—the headaches, you know?” 

“Are you sure you don’t wanna head back?” Yixing asks, and he’s always been the one to worry on Luhan’s overall well-being. “I can take you home right now.” 

“Yeah, I’m sure,” Luhan pulls out his prescription bottle and takes out one pill. “Besides, I don't wanna miss a chance to finally see the inside of Kris’ lair.” 

“...you mean the student council’s office?” 

“Yup!” Luhan chirps before popping his second dose of aspirin of the day into his mouth. 

"Here," Yixing pulls out a water bottle from his bag, uncapping the lid before handing it over to Luhan's awaiting hand. 

"Oh, Lu," Baekhyun sits down next to him as Luhan takes in small sips of water. "Are the headaches getting worse?" 

"Yeah, but I’ll live,” Luhan answers, trying to ignore the whole one-man percussion ensemble going on inside his head. 

Because, yeah, these days the dull aches would manifest into unforgiving, full-blown hammering sessions that last for a good fifteen minutes of pure discomfort and mild agony.  

"Hey," Luhan slips his medication back into his pocket and knocks their knees together, offering a smile to soothe the corners of Baekhyun's worried frown. "I'm alright, okay? Please don't give me that look." 

Baekhyun does still give Luhan that look, but he also does nod his head in understanding. 

"Have you gone for a checkup, yet?" Kyungsoo asks and presses his palm against Luhan's forehead. 

"Aunt Fei is taking him to see our doctor today after this meeting," Yixing informs. 

“About that,” Baekhyun looks up at Kyungsoo. “What did Kris call us up here for again?” 

“He didn’t say anything in his text,” Kyungsoo retrieves his hand back. “Only told us to come to the student council’s office after school and that it’s important.” 

“Huh. That doesn’t sound shady at all,” Baekhyun comments, along with the occasional eye roll. 

“Hope it doesn’t take too long,” Yixing says, and then moves to crouch down in front of Luhan. “You gonna be okay?” 

“Yeah,” Luhan winces when another shot of pain kicks in. At this point, he’s just trying to convince his own self than the others. “I think the medication’s kicking in already.” 

Their conversation gets interrupted when the door to the student council’s office snaps open and the members of the student council begin to file out. Jongdae—student council treasurer and certified third-year with a knack for pranks—makes his appearance by poking his head out at the end. 

“Ah, sophomores, you’re here!” Jongdae greets and pushes the door open further. 

“We’ve been out here for ages,” Baekhyun whines, tipping over to lean his whole weight against Luhan’s side. 

“It’s only been ten minutes,” Kyungsoo corrects as Luhan pats Baekhyun’s knee. “Why do you need to see us?” 

“Ah, that—” Jongdae gestures his hand towards the room. “—the boss will explain.” 

 

 

 

“I bring the mentors!” Jongdae announces, which has Kris—the renown ruthless student council president and a third-year as well—looking up from the files on his desk. 

Kris nods his head in acknowledgment. "Sorry to keep you waiting.” 

“Mentors?” Luhan repeats, curious. 

“We’ll get to that,” Kris says. “Have a seat.” 

“Come on,” Yixing leads Luhan to the conference table and pulls out an empty chair for him before taking the seat on another chair on his right.

“Calling us to meet you here out of the blue? Sounds like it’s important,” Baekhyun takes the chair on Luhan's left as Kyungsoo slips into the one next to Baekhyun's. 

“Yes, it is, actually,” Kris says, standing up. “It’s very important.” 

“It's also gonna take a while,” Junmyeon—vice president and this year’s most popular third-year student according to the school’s polling—says while setting some juice boxes in front of the four second-year students. "Hope you guys don't mind." 

"What's this all about?" Kyungsoo asks.

“It’s regarding some first-years that will be transferring into our school next week," Kris answers.

"It's almost halfway through the semester, though?" Yixing questions. "Kind of a weird time to be transferring. With all the midterm exams about to start."

Luhan sees Kyungsoo nodding in agreement.

"Unless there's a reason to," Kris says while heading to the front of the room. "Lights, please."

Jongdae flips the switch, rendering the whole office dark. 

"I'll bring their pictures up," Kris holds a remote up and aims it at the hanging projector on the ceiling.

Luhan watches with attentiveness as the projection light flashes onto the white screen in front of the room, displaying faces that Luhan has never seen before.

 

 

Baekhyun whistles. "Not too bad looking for a couple of first-years."

"Who are they?" Luhan asks, eyes scanning over the pictures.

“Minseok,“ Kris gestures to the student beside Junmyeon. "You're up."

Minseok—another third-year and also the student council secretary with too much work—gets up from his seat and makes his way to join Kris in front of the room, standing beside the screen. “Allow me to introduce the new students. The first one from the left here is Park Chanyeol. Next one is Kim Jongin—or better known as Kai. The next is Huang Zitao... and the last one there is Oh Sehun.” 

Luhan's eyes settle at the image of the fourth boy. The light hair and piercing gaze.

"Okay," Baekhyun leans back against his chair. "So, they’re a couple of decent looking first-years. What's the problem?"

"Funny you should mention that," Junmyeon comments, letting out a worn-out sigh.

"What do you mean?" Kyungsoo asks.

"Brace yourselves," Jongdae says. "This is where things get really interesting."

Kris nods at Minseok to continue.

“I’ll start with Kim Jongin," Minseok picks up a file from the table and opens it. "Might not look like it, but the kid has a total of twelve criminal offenses in his records. Five are for school disciplinary charges. Three for disorderly conduct. Two charges of assault and another two for acts of vandalism towards school property."

"Your typical bad boy," Jongdae twirls a pen between his fingers. 

"...wow," Is all Luhan can say as Kyungsoo's eyes blink wider.

 "That's not even half of it," Junmyeon sighs.

“What—” 

“Save your comments for later, Baekhyun,” Kris interjects, ignoring the frown from the second-year.

Minseok grabs another file. “Next is Park Chanyeol. Goes around calling himself a... Happy Virus, whatever that means. Holds almost the same amount of criminal offenses as Kim Jongin. All of them being school disciplinary and vandalism charges."

"Spiking the coffee machine in the teacher's lounge. Dismantling teachers' desks and chairs," Jongdae snickers. "Classic.” 

Junmyeon shakes his head as Kris sends Jongdae a disapproving glance.

“That’s—” 

“After the explanation is over, Baekhyun,” Kris reminds before handing Minseok another file.

“Huang Zitao. A transfer student from China. Doesn't talk much and keeps to himself most of the time. Doesn't have that much of a record like the other two, but holds some of the same charges as Kim Jongin's.” 

“Which are?” Kyungsoo asks.

“School brawls. Huang Zitao was in all the fights Kim Jongin were in,” Minseok flips through a page.

“Maybe they're in a group? A gang, even?” Lay leans back on his seat and crosses his legs under the table. 

“They are,” Kris replies, taking back the files from Minseok hands and handing over another one. “As far as what the people from their previous school claims.” 

"Huang?" Luhan turns to Yixing. "Doesn't that name sound familiar?"

"It... kind of does. Now that you mention it."

"Here's a fun fact," Jongdae pipes up, tapping away on his keyboard. “I did a little background check and some googling, and you know what I found? Apparently the Huang family are a famous line of assassins in China."

"Now I remember why that name sounds so familiar," Yixing frowns as Baekhyun chokes on his juice.

"You're lucky that didn't come out through your nose," Kyungsoo says while holding a packet of tissue out to a recovering Baekhyun.

"You know about them?" Junmyeon looks at Yixing.

"Everyone knows about their reputation back in my hometown. Luhan and I grew up listening to stories about them."

"Do they really do the "k" word?" Baekhyun's voice quivers.

"That's what everyone says," Yixing answers. 

“...fu—”

Kyungsoo clamps a hand over Baekhyun's mouth. "Language." 

“Moving on, please," Kris reminds everyone.

“Our last subject is Oh Sehun. Youngest of the four, according to his information. Some notes on his cold and distant behavior. Doesn't really get along well with others. Also—huh.” 

Kris raises a questioning brow. “Also what?”

"Hang on," Minseok flips the page over and back. Then pauses. 

“Something wrong?” Kris reaches out to take the file, but Minseok steps out of reach.

“Just a smudge of ink on the paper,” Minseok says, closing the file shut, and turns to the conference table. “Oh Sehun has his own fair share of criminal offense charges.  A lot less than Kim Jongin and Park Chanyeol in numbers."

“Please explain why these kids are getting sent to our school instead of a detention center somewhere upstate?" Baekhyun says.

"That's a question you should ask the school board," Kris places the files on the table before taking a seat. "For now. We have other things to discuss."

"There's more?"

"The school wants to put these four first-years under supervision on a more personal scale for the rest of the year. To see how things turn out. So, the student council has made the decision to appoint each one of these first-years with their own mentor. Someone that can keep a close monitor and give them guidance along the way."

"You mean you just need someone to babysit these little troublemakers, right? Is that it?"

"Bingo!" Jongdae points his pen at Baekhyun, who frowns at the remark.

"The mentors will be in charge of keeping tabs on both their academic and non-academic activities in school. Making sure that they don't cause any trouble," Kris explains.

"That's gonna be hard to do, though, don't you think?" Yixing looks back at the images on the screen. "Considering that they aren't the type to follow through with school regulations in the first place."

"We'll arrange something for that," Kris rests his arms on the conference table and eyes the second-years. "You won't need to worry about that."

"Oh," Luhan points a finger to himself. "Are... we the mentors? Is that what you meant earlier?"

Jongdae claps and makes finger pistols at Luhan. "Bingo again!"

Baekhyun guffaws. “No. Way. Nuh-uh. Not doing that."

"Didn't you all sign up for mentorship this year?" Kris asks.

"Yeah, for mentoring. Not for babysitting a bunch of delinquents.” 

"This could be a good opportunity?" Junmyeon tries.

"I don't know," Yixing says, glancing at Luhan. "I think it'll be a little too much trouble."

"I'll take the job.'

Seven pairs of eyes turn to Kyungsoo.

"You what?" Baekhyun almost shrieks.

"I'll take the job," Kyungsoo repeats. "If it's part of the mentorship program, then I'll do it."

"I'll do it, too!" Luhan exclaims. "I think it'll be fun."

Jongdae whoops. "I'm loving the enthusiasm, Lu!"

"Uh," Yixing cuts in. "Can we discuss this first?"

"No time," Kris shakes his head. "If you don't take this now, then I'll have to find other suitable candidates. They're starting classes next Monday and the school wants their mentors' name and faces by then as well."

Yixing sighs. Then glances at Luhan. "You really wanna do this?"

Luhan nods. "Yes!"

"...alright. If Luhan's in, then I'm in, too."

Baekhyun groans. "For real, guys?"

"It'll be fun, Baek!" Luhan beams.

"It'll also be something to add to your resume," Kyungsoo informs.

Baekhyun looks just about done with life. "Okay. Fine. I'll do it."

"Alright, then," Kris nods. "I look forward to your hard work. I'll have more information sent to you by the weekend and I'll see you all here again Monday."

 

 

 

Not too long after the second-years had left the room, Kris makes his way to Minseok, who has his nose stuck going through the files, as Jongdae sets a box of dumpling at the conference table.

“Minseok.” 

“Yeah?” Minseok replies just before taking a bite off his dumpling. “What’s up?”

“What was it that you read on Oh Sehun’s records?” Kris shoots Minseok a dead-serious look. "Don't think I didn't notice you hesitating earlier."

Minseok stops chewing after that, making Kris even more curious. “Uh. About that. You might want to take a seat?” 

Kris pulls back the chair next Minseok and settles down.

"Okay," Minseok swallows the food in his mouth. “So there's something I read in Oh Sehun's file earlier.” 

“What is it?”

“A record," Minseok pulls Oh Sehun's file in front of him and opens it. "About the possession of a dangerous weapon."

"Whoa. What? Did I just hear that right?" Jongdae appears to peak over Minseok's shoulder.

“What kind of weapon?” Kris leans over to read over the file.

"Some say it was a gun. Some say it was a knife," Minseok shrugs. "No one's really sure what it was."

"If no one's sure about it, then how did they make the offense charge stick?"

"See, that's what's weird," Minseok slides the file over to Kris, showing a blank sheet. "I can't find out more because the records are... gone? The paragraph isn't done here, but it just stops at the last page. There's nothing else."

"That's weird," Jongdae says. "Maybe it got lost somewhere? Maybe in the other files?"

"Maybe. I'm still looking through everything," Minseok says. "It's just really weird."

"Did it mention if they ever got to confiscate any weapons?" Kris questions.

Minseok sighs, and then shakes his head. "...no. Nothing that I've read so far."

"," Jongdae cusses. "Does that means Oh Sehun might still have a not-gun or a not-knife?"

"Or Oh Sehun might not have anything at all," Junmyeon says, raising his hands in defense when the other three students turn to him. "I'm just saying. No one was really sure about the weapon after all."

"Still," Kris runs his hands through his hair. "Doesn't make it less of a gamble."

"What do we do?" Minseok asks.

"I'm going to call in for back up. We'll be needing it," Kris replies. "Also ask the school if we can up the security starting next week."

“What about the mentors?” Junmyeon asks.

“Don't worry,” Kris stares down at the file on the table. "I'll make sure nothing happens to them."

 


Loner.