Sunflowers

Sunflowers

"Wooyoung!" she called cheerfully. "I have something wonderful to tell you!"

He grinned. She looked like cool summertimes in that pink dress, so pretty it made his eyes hurt. "What is it, Jieunie?"

She rose to her tiptoes in excitement, a fairy readying to dance across the glistening grass. All she needed were the gossamer wings, which he could almost see in the air. "I'm engaged!"

An ache started somewhere near his heart. "Congratulations."

Something was different in his smile. There was sincerity, but also something more.

"He's a lucky guy." A lucky bastard, really.

Jieun giggled. "I was going to say that I was pretty lucky, too, but you know what? That's true. He doesn't deserve me. Which is why he should feel immense gratitude and treat me like a princess forever."

He would. Wooyoung would make sure he would.

"We should sit down." He gestured to the bench. "So when's the wedding?"

She swung her legs back and forth like a child. "Maybe spring." She turned to look at him, an intent expression on her face. "You were expecting me to say autumn, weren't you? Well, I rather like spring. It's pretty and green and fresh—the flowers bloom and the weather is perfect." She laughed. "I'm probably going to be a bridezilla, you know. I want a fairytale wedding."

He smiled at the thought. In his mind's eye, he saw her, bossy and adorable, fussing over wedding details. He saw her trying on wedding dresses, shyly emerging from the dressing room to ask him what he thought. He saw her dragging him to flower shops to find the right centerpieces and bouquets. He saw white, everywhere white, with strings of fairy lights and blooms of flowers all over.

Another pang, stronger this time.

"What? You're not going to say that I'm wrong?" She feigned insult.

"No." He teased, setting off a bevy of complaints.

She rested her head on his shoulder, suddenly quiet. "I'm so happy, Wooyoung."

He placed his hand over hers, his thumb gently rubbing the ring on her third finger. "I love you, Jieunie."

She tilted her head up to look at him, her eyes misty. "I love you, too."

The ache swelled in his chest, the happiness spreading throughout his body.

"Are you satisfied, now that you've told someone our good news?"

She pouted. "No. I want to tell Suzy! I want to call all of the 2PM oppas and tell them, too! But...we shouldn't steal Suzy's spotlight." She shook her head. "It's only a month. Then they’ll be married and I can tell whoever I want."

He chuckled and kissed her head. For now this was their own little secret. Later, he'd shout it from the rooftops.