3

Fortunate Misfortune

 

10 hours earlier in Infinite’s dance studio:

The room was humid, or at least it felt that way. The boys were panting as drops of sweat were trickling down their faces. They have been practicing since the early hours of the morning, first with vocals and now with dancing. For some people, this rigorous about of training would seem inhumane and utterly impossible, but to them, it was just like a regular day at work. Sunggyu was exceptionally over demanding today since of the members were losing the sharpness of the older routines, but who could blame them? The last time they perform their rookie songs was at their last concert which was well over four or five months ago!

“Hyung, why are you being like this? What have we done to deserve this today?!” Sungjong whined as he yanked at his hair in frustration.

Sunggyu turned around from his center position and looked at Sungjong with a worn out expression, “Yah, do you think I want to continue practicing? This is something we HAVE to do, think about all our fans, think about how disappointed they would be if we showed one slip up on stage; what about our anti-fans? They would eat up our mistakes and start false rumors, and don’t even get me started with the media. This is something we all signed up for, so let’s stop pretending that we didn’t know it would be like this, ok?”

Sungjong scoffed and walked away from his position, “It’s always the same old speech with you, Hyung! All that I ever do is practice, sleep, eat and practice; everyday in that exact order. Don’t you know how fed up I am with this routine life I am living? We all did the rehearsals correctly but you always find that one little mistake that is barely noticeable! Why can’t we just break from this routine and enjoy life a bit!”

The whole studio went quiet, only leaving Sungjong’s voice to echo in the room. The atmosphere went from focused to dead tension and everyone in the room felt it crawling up their spine. It was very rare to have Sungjong talk back to Sunggyu in such an alarming tone. Sunggyu himself was a bit stunned by Sungjong’s tone, he was used to him talking back to him but never in such a manner as the one he displayed today. Sunggyu looked around the room and saw the faces of s; Hoya’s hair was dripping with sweat, Dongwoo was leaning against him for support while fanning himself with his hands, Sungyeol, the usually cheerful one, was leaning against the wall closing his eyes, Woohyun was splashing water from his water bottle on his face, and L was lying on the floor using his arms as a pillow against the hardwood floor. The guilt began to kick in, today more than ever; the perfectionist that is Kim Sunggyu took over and left the caring, compassionate leader behind.

“Everyone, go upstairs and change clothes. We are heading out today.” Sunggyu replied, cutting the tension in half and letting it dissolve, he was putting aside his perfection habit and treating his dongsengs out to a day of fun, well, an afternoon of fun.

Sungyeol jumped off the wall with excitement clearly written on his face, “Really?! Are we really ending practice for the day?!”

The rest of the members looked at Sunggyu in an expression of bewilderment, usually when Sunggyu was in his perfection mode, practices would drag on for hours and hours until night fall; but here he was, telling them that they had the rest of the day off.

“Yah, do you think he’s losing his mind, Hoya?” Dongwoo whispered as he quickly grabbed his backpack from the floor.

Hoya simply shrugged his shoulders, “Maybe he just felt guilty. You know he ends practices so abruptly because he feels bad for letting the other side of him take over.”

Fast-forwarding to their adventures out on the street, the boys felt revived and normal for a change. Their disguises were well put together, they were always careful as to how suspicious they would make themselves look if they each wore face masks and scarves while out in public together; it would have been a definite give away. The boys came up with a plan a few months after their popularity hit full force to re-invent themselves when they would go out. Usually in this plan, some of them would part their hair differently and add a bit of makeup to darken their skin tone, others wore wigs and seeing glasses, and only a few would wear sunglasses alone.

So far, their outing was enjoyable and only a few would speculate that the boys seemed familiar but they were thrown off by the disguises and how natural they looked. They started out by going to an arcade, and then going to karaoke where Dongwoo sang his heart out to TaeTiSeo’s “Twinkle” with Sungjong accompanying him as Taeyeon and Woohyun as Tiffany. As the day the proceeded, Sungyeol decided that he wanted to be a comedian and started telling his jokes at their favorite playground,

“How do you make a tissue dance?” He then paused for dramatic effect, “You put a little boogie in it!”

The playground was filled with laughter as the boys couldnt wrap their heads around the silliness that IS Lee Sungyeol. After the park, they went to a western restaurant for lunch to just sit back and enjoy the rest of the day in peace, or so they thought.

They never planned on what would happen after they exited the restaurant.

After paying the bill, the boys decided that it was time to call it a day but as they were crossing the street, they saw a girl running at warp speed and a middle aged man peeking from behind the corner building at her. Something was up and they all sensed it, but by the time they could even do anything about it, the man rammed into the girl with all his strength, yanking her purse from her hands and letting her fall to the ground.

The first one to respond was Hoya,

“Sungyeol, chase that guy now!” Hoya shouted in rage as he saw that the girl never got up from the ground, not even moving an inch.

Sungyeol didn’t question the demand and ran like lighting to catch up to the mugger. Hoya and the rest then ran to the girl’s side ready to aide her in any means necessary.

“Miss, Miss, are you ok?” Hoya asked as he gently shook the girl’s shoulders, panic was seeping in as he saw a bit of blood on the concrete when he shook her.

He kept on trying to wake her up until L pulled him away telling him that he already contacted the police and that they were heading over with the ambulance. A small crowd was starting to form and the boys were getting extremely nervous, in any second now, there would be someone shouting out their names and snapping photos to sell to the media.

Thankfully the ambulance arrived quickly and the boys followed in the police cars safely unnoticed. They gave their witness statements and demanded that they would all stay as anonymous witnesses in the investigation. After a quick call to their manager, who wasn’t at all thrilled with this phone call, the boys decided to sit down in the waiting room for the ER and discuss what would happen next while they waited for the doctor.

“Hyung, what did manager hyung say?” Woohyun asked as he sat beside Sunggyu who had his fingers on his temples shaking his head.

“He told us to take responsibility for it since we decided to take the day off.” Sunggyu replied, exasperated.

“What!?!” Woohyun unintentionally shouted, earning a light slap on the head from L who was right beside him.

“This is a hospital, not a drama filming.” L scolded and earned chuckles from Dongwoo, Hoya, Sungjong, and Sunggyu.

“Anyways, what does he mean exactly by ‘taking responsibility?’” Dongwoo asked while still giggling

The stressed leader just shrugged his shoulders, “I guess we’ll find out when the doctor informs us about her condition.”

Hoya sighed, “Well Sungjong, you said you wanted a change in routine; is this what you wanted?”

Sungjong’s jaw dropped, “Don’t go blaming all of this on me, hyung! I swear this was something done by a force beyond me!”

Dongwoo snorted, “Here he goes again.”

Ever since Sungjong saw a romance move based on destiny or “Serendipity” as the movie was called, he believed that everything that happened was for a reason brought to them by the Almighty himself. Like last week, when the boys ran out of milk he hoped at the opportunity saying,

“This is it! This is a sign! As soon as we go buy more milk, something good will happen, I can sense the girl of my dreams, just across the dairy aisle!” Needless to say, he came home disappointed but not out of faith.

“Lee Sungjong, how-“ before Hoya could even finish his sentence, the doctor came out and he redirected his question.

“Doctor-nim, how is she? Is there anything wrong?” Hoya frantically questioned the doctor, he would deny this if any of the members asked, but he somehow felt attached to the girl he saved.

“She will be ok, I applied some stitches to the opened wound on her head and she now has a bandage wrapped around it to protect the wound from re-opening. That was quite a hit she took, the trauma to the head was very blunt and can cause her temporary amnesia since it was such a big concussion.” The doctor replied.

“Is there anything we have to do?” Sunggyu asked in total shock.

“Take care of her, make sure she gets enough rest and change the gauze bandage every few hours to make sure that she is not still bleeding.” The doctor answered while he looked at his clipboard, “She will also need to take pain killers every nine hours but if the pain comes back before the nine hours are up you can give them to her then, but no more than one every four hours. The medicine she will take is strong in milligrams and if she takes too many she can overdose. Anything else?”

Woohyun was the one to ask the next question, “When will she be released?”

The doctor sighed, “It depends on when she wakes up, naturally we have to run some blood tests on her and make sure she is ok before she could leave. It might be a day or two, if she woke up today, she would leave tomorrow.”

Sunggyu nodded his head, “Thank you, Doctor.”

The man smiled slightly as he shook each member’s hand and then made his way back to the ER to help the rest of the patients.

“Ok boys, it’s time to have a group meeting.” Sunggyu said as he took his previous seat and the rest of the members followed. “The doctor said that she might have temporary amnesia, in that case, since we don’t have any of her information, she will have to stay with us.”

“Until she gets better?!? What if she never recovers from the amnesia?!” Dongwoo questioned

“Well what do you want us to do? We can’t post flyers around Seoul saying ‘Found human female’ and post a picture of her with our phone number on it! She’s not a dog!” Hoya semi-shouted.

L weighed in, “He’s right you know, we have to take care of her. She’s not an animal and right now she needs us more than ever.”

“So how is this going to work?” Woohyun asked curiously.

“Well, since Sungjong really wouldn’t try anything on her, and since it’s really easy for girls to feel comfortable around him, she should stay in his room.” Sunggyu explained and Sungjong jumped around happily.

“Wait, but that’s mine and L’s room too!” Hoya countered, figuring that there were only three beds in each room meaning that one of them would either have to share a bed with the other or sleep on the couch.

“I refuse to sleep on that couch! I have the busiest schedule out of all the members and I cant wake up with back problems!” L protested.

“And I am the lead dancer in the group; I practically am the glue that keeps the dances in sync!” Hoya rebutted L’s statement, and before long, it was decided by Sunggyu that the boys would have to share a bed.

Before the two boys could protest the nurse came to them and announced that the girl was moved to a private room so they were led straight to her.

As soon as they walked into the room, they saw the girl as pale as ever. She looked so fragile and delicate that even if they dropped a single strand of hair on her, she would break into a million pieces. As they got closer to her, they noticed her smooth features; in all honesty, they thought that this girl might have been a potential model with her innocent face and clear skin, with long brown hair styled with bangs. She had long eyelashes and the cutest nose that any of them had ever seen; her lips were a pale pink that were dry since she was in the hospital.

“She’s really cute.” Sungjong noted as he stared at her features.

“Yeah, she’s actually adorable.” Dongwoo mused.

“It’s such a shame that this had to happen to her, but you know, I kind of have a feeling that Sungjong is right. Maybe this was supposed to happen, I cant help but have this nostalgic feeling when I look at her.” L  stated as he touched the bandage around her forehead.