1

Fortunate Misfortune

 

The photo on the card was that of seven swards pointing at a circular crest in the center of the card. Hyeri felt her heart flutter a bit as Madame Fonsi examined the card and let out an amusing “Hmm” as soon as she turned it over.

Madame Fonsi cleared and straightened her back as she began to speak,

“Before I begin to tell you what this card means, I am going to explain to you the process you went through when choosing your cards and the order I placed them in. I asked you to split the deck in three, each deck representing your past, present, and future. When I asked you to extract three cards from each deck, those cards represent your past lives; in your case, I only wanted three because you have cycled through life nine times, just like a cat.” Madame Fonsi then paused and analyzed Hyeri to make sure the information was sinking in.

Hyeri, on the other hand, was left wide-eyed and jaw dropped. “H-how do you know I-I’ve had nine lives?” She asked in utter bewilderment.

Madame Fonsi gave her a closed grin, “You have spirits over your shoulders who never lie, my sweet. Now, with all those cards added and placed into the balance of nature, they will produce your karma for this lifetime.”

Hyeri nodded her head in understanding, but in contrast decided to ask her next question. “Balance of nature? What is that?”

The clairvoyant extraordinaire sighed trying her best to maintain her patience with the girl sitting before her with a clueless doe-eyed stare. “The balance of nature consists of the four elements: Water, Earth, Fire, and Air.” Air goes here on the top where these two cards are, and that’s where the first card was turned over. Earth is on the left, Fire is on the right, Water is on the bottom, and right here in the center is your karma. Do you understand everything now?”

The dazed and amazed Hyeri just nodded her head,

“Good, now let me explain the first card that I flipped over. It’s called the seven guardian’s card. It seems that in your past lives and even now, you have seven guardians who are destined to protect you. One way or another, they entered all of your lives and never left your side. So in general, this card is good.” Madame Fonsi explained and then turned over the card right beside it.

It was the image of the night sky filled with stars and some small clouds.

“Ah, well it looks like destiny has always favored you. Back in your lives, you were always able to reach for the stars and have everything you’ve ever dreamed of and that should transpire on your current life cycle. However, I see plenty of envious eyes hidden in the clouds. Be careful with those envious eyes, they were the ones who had led you through your past demises. Don’t trust people so easily, unless they are your guardians. There is going to be one person who will pretend to have your back and then stab it in the end…literally. You were murdered in your past lives, all done by the same person, in the same fashion. I fear that that person will try to harm you again, never be alone with anyone, again, unless if they are your guardians. Moving on.”

Madame Fonsi, flipped the next card that was on the Earth section. It was a card that illustrated two males and each male held a sword and looked as if they were fighting.

“This card here; signifies that two men are or will be fighting for your love. These men are friends for their clothing are of the same color, and you will meet them both at the same time, or within the same time period of the day.”

Then the next card beside it was turned over, it was a boy who was kneeling before the sun. “Obviously the victorious person will be the child of a fire sign, so you will end up with an Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius since he kneels to and obeys the sun. It also shows that this person is very down to earth and realistic since his card is in the Earth section of your reading. When you first meet him, it is possible that you two wont get along but eventually the both of you will follow down the path that has already been created for you both.”

Hyeri was still letting all the information sink in, this was the first time she had her own real reading done so she didn’t expect this much to come out of it without even being half way done. The next card was flipped from the lower section, which was water. The card was that of a female saint sitting on a throne surrounded by gold.

“This represents the person you will become. You have a magic touch that can soften any heart; to many you are considered the jack of all trades and are the apple of the eyes of many. People hold you in high regards because you are so sincere and innocent. Everyone loves you and only few truly envy you.”

Madame Fonsi then cleared and took a sip of the small glass of water that was hidden under the table, “Sorry about that, now let’s move on to the next card.”

She flipped the card over and the image of a stormy sea was seen.

“There are many trials you will go through, all being spiritual, emotional, and physical. You will be entering a time of self- reflection and evaluation to try to better yourself. You will ultimately be struggling to adjust to a certain way of living.”

She then moved over to the fire section flipping over the card and revealing a man under a waterfall holding a large pot,

“My, my, child, your other man has just arrived into the picture. This is the other person who is fighting for your heart. He is an Aquarius, no doubt about that. You love him already even though you don’t know him; that usually happens when an air sign collides with an air sign like yourself. You-“

Hyeri then interrupted the reading, “H-how did you know that I am an air sign?” She asked in state of pure wonder.

Madame Fonsi kindly smiled at her, “Like I have said before, your spirits don’t lie.”

Hyeri nodded her head in understanding, “How many-“

She was abruptly cut off by her phone ringing, Hyeri looked at Madame Fonsi with an expression full of apologies as she quickly fished out her phone from her purse and checked the caller ID. It was her neighbor calling.

“Dongshin Sunbae?” She asked

“Hey, Ri! I was walking out of my apartment just now and when I walked by your apartment door, there was soap foam coming out from under the door crack. Are you doing laundry again?” Dongshin’s masculine voice boomed as he chuckled lightly at the mishap that had occurred.

Hyrei’s eyes widened as she slapped her forhead and grunted, “I cant believe I used the wrong measurement of detergent AGAIN! Thank you for calling Dongshin, I’ll be there as soon as I can, just try to keep the landlord away from the scene if you can. PLEASE AND THANK YOU!” She then hung up the phone and jumped to her feet, leaving Madame fonsi startled by her sudden action.

“I am so sorry Madame Fonsi but I cannot continue this reading, I will pay you now and be on my way there is an emergency at home that I must tend to.” Hyeri said as she stumbled through her purse yet again but this time in search for her wallet.

Mamade Fonsi stood up and stopped Hyeir from pulling out the money with her delicate, spider vained hands, “It’s alright child, there is no need to pay me if you cannot finish the session, but what about the last two cards? You don’t want to see them?”

Hyeri looked up at the elder lady and smiled, “Thank you so much for your kindness and I promise I will be back to finish my session just flip the cards and write down what they are and then next time we meet you can explain them to me ok?”

The clairvoyant nodded her head and let the girl go as she rushed her way back to her and her mother’s apartment which was five blocks away.

As Hyeri exited the small enterprise, she made a careless sprint across the street, having countless of cars honk and people shouting obscenities out their car windows. The sound of her flats hitting the cemented pavement was the only thing that she could hear; her focus was dead set on getting home and solving her reoccurring problem.

She was already one block away when suddenly someone turned a corner and bumped into her, knocking her straight to the ground, hitting her head against the hard ground.

All else faded to black.