Call Me Sweetheart

Call Me Sweetheart

Call me sweetheart.

 

“Kibum!” Jonghyun screamed as he ran toward the awaiting boy by the rocks that rested in front of the lake. Kibum turned around slowly with a heart warming smile on his face, the remaining sunbeams playing tricks with his eyes.

“Jjong! You’re so late!” He teased lightly, giving a pout. “You promised you would be on time today!” Today of all days to be late...he wanted to add but couldn’t bring himself to. Jonghyun smiled and laughed nervously.

“I’m sorry Key!” he said the nickname with affection. He bowed a couple times, apologizing over and over. He settled himself beside the boy on the big boulder and looked out onto the lake. The sun would soon be setting and the time to part would soon be upon them.

The stayed silent for awhile, sitting side by side, waiting for the colours to splash across the sky, waiting for the fireworks to begin. They could faintly hear the noise of the fair in the background, but it was distant enough that their breathing seemed louder.

“Kibum...” Jonghyun said as he turned to his friend, “I got this for you.” He handed the boy a small box from his messenger bag. “I want you to remember me after I leave.”

As Kibum opened the small box, the sun disappeared completely. His eyes grew wider and tears slid down his face. “I don’t want you to go Jjong...” He managed to breathe out, holding back a chocked sob as he picked up the dog tag necklace. JongKeywas engraved on the silver face, underneath was a date; 1:1:11.  

“I’ll be back. I won’t forget you.” He pulled out another chain from his pocket that had the same dog tag, “I even got myself one, so when we see each other in ten years, you’ll know it’s me!” Kibum hugged his best friend and buried his face in his chest.

“Don’t forget me...”

-------

He absently the tag at his chest and made his way to the boulder that rested in front of the lake. Every year he would come here on the first of January, though for the last 9 years they weren’t planned to meet.

Jonghyun had occasionally written to him, though he had rarely been able to respond, and he had responded every chance he had. It has been over a year since he had last received a letter from the boy and it scared him. What if Jonghyun couldn’t come? Or what if he had simply forgotten?

No! Jjong wouldn’t forget. He promised... He reminded himself, trying to stay positive. He looked around impatiently, touching the tag again, but no one was there.

A few more minutes and he would leave. A few more m- “AH!” Kibum turned around with a panicked expression as he heard a male scream and the sound of a horn. That scream sounded so familiar... No! He ran towards the noise and was greeted by a group of people crowded on the street. He pushed himself in between the crowd and right to the center.

He dropped to his knees and checked the boy’s pulse. There was a faint feeling. “Someone call the police! Get an ambulance! NOW!” He shouted with tears streaming down his face. He felt like a ghost, watching himself, it didn’t feel like he was in his own body.

His eyes were locked on the chain around the boy’s neck. No... no. You promised! “Jonghyun...” He mumbled out, bringing the boy to rest in his lap. “You can’t die... Oh god. Jjong please...” There was a cough and stir from the boy.

His eyes fluttered open and he managed a small smile. “Key... Don’t cry.  We found each other again.”

“Don’t die!” He held the boy tighter. “You promised... you wouldn’t.”

“I won’t die, I can’t lose to you.” The boy’s smile was faint. The boy started coughing, blood spilling everywhere. Key held onto him tighter, begging God to keep him alive. “Key?” Jonghyun managed to mumble softly.

“Yeah?” Kibum could barely see past his tears, everything was being so unfair, it wasn’t right. He couldn’t leave him, he just came back after so long. It wasn’t right.

“Tell me something.” His eyes were losing their fire and Kibum cried harder. “Tell me how you feel... I want to hear it.”

“I love you sweetheart.” He hugged the boy close to his chest, soaking himself in blood. He could hear the sirens closing in on them. “You’re going to live, they’ll be here soon. Don’t worry.”

“Say that again, call me sweetheart.”

“I love you sweetheart.”

“I love you too.” He felt it then, the heaviness in Jonghyun, the limpness. His eyes were shut now, and his chest stopped rising with every gulp he took.

“NO!!! You promised! You can’t leave me!” He was faintly away of hands trying to pry him away from the dead boy, trying to coax him into calmness. He didn’t hear the hysteria in his voice, or feel the pavement when it came up to fast, he felt numb and everything turned to black.

------

He the dog tag’s as he sat down on the boulder, he took a deep breath as he removed one of them from around his neck. He stared at it for awhile, unaware that his feet carried him into the water.

He looked up into the sky and said a silent prayer as his fingers tilted. He didn’t watch as the chain slowly drifted into abyss, falling to its watery grave.

I love you...”