Darkness Behind Spotlight

DEATH. JUST A SECOND AWAY.

 

CHAPTER 1 [Darkness Behind Spotlight]

 

*August 7th, 2010*

This was it, the moment of my life. I have never been more sure. I walked once again on to the stage, for the last time tonight, as the vast sea of people chanted my name in midst of the craziness and excitement.

“Hebe! Hebe! Hebe!” the crowd chanted. My heart raced on as I met the eyes of thousands. I wondered, how many people in their life get to stand on this stage, Taiwan’s biggest arena Xiao Ju Dan (Taipei Arena), as I do right now?

“Hello everyone! Are you all excited?” I shouted. The mixed chants from the audience gave me the obvious answer. I continued, “The final encore piece tonight will be a very special piece I’ve written for a very special person to me.”

The background music started up as my voice automatically followed the beat. The lyrics flowed to my tongue as I hit the first note. I scanned through the audience, finding his face. He sat in the center of the front row, a very easy place to spot.

From the day that we met, I can’t leave you.

All alone in this world, I felt love from you.

In your eyes, I saw

My saving grace.

What I need is your smile.

Our love is strong, so strong, too strong.

Just unbreakable.

I think I love, I do, for you.

Our bond forever stays.

And I sing, this song,

Solely for you.

I continued the song with passion as fans cheered me on and threw their gifts on the stage. For the 26 years of my life, there is no memory that can match up to this moment, not when I held my first concert 7 years ago, not when my album broke multi-platinum sales. The arena was completely filled with 11,000 people, all here for ME today! I reached the end of the song and thanked my fans.

Suddenly, all the lights out as the crowd broke into hysteria. My eyes frantically searched for any source of light, and luckily, many fans held glow sticks and cell phones, so I wasn’t completely stumped. Out of now where, a stream of light flashed over me in the center of the enormous stage, which only made me more confused. A dark shadow slowly approached the stage towards me; the person easily jumped and climbed up on stage, then I immediately realized who it was, his face is too familiar to not know.

Mike He. My boyfriend.

He held a gargantuan bouquet of dark, red roses as he approached me. He carefully handed the bouquet to me and I stood frozen and speechless. Then, he knelt down on his knee presented a tiny square jewelry box as I remained completely blown by surprise.

“Will you marry me, Hebe?” Mike looked into my eyes earnestly, so earnestly that my mind completely went blank, unable to process anything.

“Yes.” I managed to choke out before tears of joy flowed down my cheeks. The crowd roared with exhilaration as Mike stood up and hugged me.

 

~~~

 

*October 19th, 2010*

I sat on the beach waiting for Mike to come back with the priest. We planned this secret getaway in the spur of a moment and my heart thumped loudly as Mike went to the Church nearby to get the priest to marry us. The summer beach frenzy has long passed and the beach was deserted except for me. The ocean breeze whisked my skin; I brought my legs up close to my chest and hugged them tightly with my arms.

I waited.

Till sunset.

Till nightfall.

Till dawn.

Till the coldness overpowered me.

 

He never came back.

I was afraid to leave and go search for him in case he showed up back here and I was gone. But I was more afraid to keep sitting here, waiting.

Beep. Beep. My phone buzzed from my jean pockets. I frantically flipped opened my phone, hoping it was him calling and saying this is all a big joke. Instead, it was a picture message.

I stared at the screen, not wanting to believe what I’m witnessing. His body plopped on the floor. I see blood over his shirt, but I filled my mind with the fantasy that it could be ketchup or tomato sauce, until I saw the gunshot through his heart.

 

~~~

 

*January 14th, 2011*

I sat inside the office, recounting my memories of Mike, refusing the let the tears fall down once again, like it has fallen in the past few months. This is the first time I’ve gone outside home after Mike’s funeral two months ago and the rest of the world seems strangely empty and devoid of life.

I heard the glass door slide open behind me and gathered myself together to look at least presentable.

The man walked in with a brilliant smile, one that didn’t really match my mood right now. He sat down in the chair across the table from me as he flipped his side bangs up neatly and flashed me a huge grin, revealing perfectly white teeth.

“Hi, my name is Aaron Yan. I am the director and owner of Mystic Resolution, how may I help you?”

“I need you to investigate my boyfriend’s death. I am a public figure, so I need everything to be done undercover. I don’t want any police or other authorities involved.” His smile didn’t falter a bit when I mentioned Mike’s death, which annoyed me quite a bit.

“Of course, you can be certain what is said in here stays in here. That is the number one principal of Mystic Resolution. All you need to do is give me some more details on the case and I guarantee you it will be solved. First, what was your boyfriend’s name?”

“Mike He.”

 

**********************************************************

 

Dear Readers,

I hope you all enjoyed a happy reading. Please comment and support!

Also, I am still looking for a poster and background, so if anyone has any suggestions to where I can request one from, please do tell me in the comments!

Lots of love,

Grace