Help me sleep

Help me sleep

 

Key was alone in the room he shared with Jonghyun, his eyes closed and breathing irregular. He had excused himself from dinner a few minutes ago, feigning a headache. He could feel his heart beating rapidly underneath his palm that rested against his chest.

It wasn’t unusual for Jonghyun to joke around and be touchy, he was the type who enjoyed skinship after all, but as of late Key couldn’t stand it. He found himself reacting to Jonghyun’s touch in a weird way; his heart would beat faster, he would hold his breath, there was a tingling sensation, butterflies and mostly he would want to cry because he knew it was never real.

The memory flew by in his mind, reminding him when it all started. The sun was high in the sky and there was no wind to tease their senses. They were walking along the beach, very close to the water, Key and Taemin were playing around, trying to get each other to go into the water, when Taemin succeeded in doing so. Jonghyun lent Key his hand to help him up when Taemin and Minho both pushed him into the water as well. This resulted in a big splash and the connecting of two sets of lips. They quickly flew apart and got the rest of the group into the water.

Unconsciously Key reached up and touched his lips, remembering the brief warmth he had felt there a few weeks ago. It had been so awkward afterwards for Key, though Jonghyun seemed as if he hadn’t noticed the brief meeting.

Footsteps outside his room brought him back to reality and away from his thoughts before they turned dark. He turned his back to the door and listened to everyone’s footsteps. Onew’s almost silent ones as they entered the room to the right of Key’s. Taemin’s loud ones mixed with Minho’s soft ones entering the room to the left of Key’s. And then he heard Jonghyun’s relaxed footsteps as they came closer to the door. His breath hitched in his throat, and he closed his eyes.

“Are you feeling okay?” his voice drawling out in a worried tone, making Key forget that he was feigning sleep and turn around. He nodded as he watched Jonghyun close the door and make his way to their closet to get out his sleep wear. Key watched him change in silence, a blush creeping up his neck. “Is something wrong, you’ve been acting odd for a while now? Are you sick?”

“No...” Key didn’t want to lie to him, but he couldn’t tell him the truth either, so he said the closest thing to the truth. “I’ve been having sleeping problems.”

Jonghyun turned off the lights, engulfing them in darkness, the moon silhouetted them in a soft glow. When his eyes adjusted to the night, he noticed that the other boy had passed his bed and was heading for him.

“Nightmares?” he asked quietly. Key nodded and then shook his head and moved over, making room for the other boy.

“I haven’t been able to sleep since we did the shooting at the beach.” He felt the bed give a bit under the other’s weight, and instantly felt the warmth of his body heat. Key yawned as the boy lay beside him, not touching him. They had witnessed someone drown at the beach, and hadn’t been able to save them. The memory made Key’s heart clench. The boy had been a big fan, even though he couldn’t speak, he had tried very hard to get their attention.  Key shook his head slightly to get the memory to vanish.

“We couldn’t do anything about it, it was too late, and you did try. Don’t forget that.”  Jonghyun rolled on his side, draping an arm over Key and closing his eyes.

There were a few minutes of silence that dragged on for what seemed like forever before Key said something. “Do you... love someone?” he mumbled and instantly regretted it. He buried his face in the others chest and closed his eyes. This time the silence dragged on longer.“Never mind, we have a busy schedule tomorrow. Good night.”

There was a small chuckle in the room and as Key succumbed to the power of sleep he felt something warm pressed against his temple. He thought he heard that same sleepy voice drawl out, “You.” He wasn’t sure, but he snuggled closer and for the first time in awhile, slept peacefully.