First Day on the Block

Apartment Block B

 

Soomin had spent the last hour looking around her apartment. She had written a list of things she would need. She had packed some stuff but all of it fit into two cardboard boxes and those were still on their way via the postal service.

Thus far she had no sheets, various miss matched kitchen ware, bathroom cleaners and absolutely no food. Maybe a walk around the neighborhood to find a fast food joint or convenience store… Soomin heard meowing followed by scratching. She walked around her apartment searching for the source of the sound. She finally went to her sliding glass doors and saw a cat pawing the glass. Soomin opened the doors wide allowing room for the cat to come in while she stepped out on to the balcony. The cat went in her apartment but quickly changed direction to followed Soomin out. Her balcony overlooked the courtyard. It was a large concrete area walled in by apartments on all sides. It was filled with several vending machines and benches to one end. There was a small grassy area at the other end.

The cat began to meow demanding attention. Soomin looked down as the cat rubbed against her leg. She bent down petting the cat’s head playing with her ears.

“Not sure how you got here but thanks for the visit.” She stared at the cat, “Ub-sin-ean…”

Soomin walked inside and sat on her couch. The cat followed her bounding up on the couch sitting next to her. Soomin pulled her phone out of her purse remembering she had a recently added number. Should I text him… Soomin bit her lip. Something legit…ah. Soomin opened a text and typed in, ‘Where is a good place to eat?’ Soomin looked at the cat who stared back with golden eyes.

“Should I push send…?” Soomin scrunched her face quickly pushing the button. “Ah, I did it!”

Soomin waited for a reply but grew bored and impatient after several minutes. She opened an internet connection and started searching ‘ubsinean cat.’ Soomin tried different spellings but none of the search results were right. She typed in ‘cat breeds’ and pulled up a website with a list.

“Oh…Abyssinian…?” Soomin continued to read. A bell started ringing; Soomin listened as it got louder. “Door bell…?”

She got up and went to her door. She opened it to see a short guy with earrings. And who are you?

 

 

The guy smiled and bowed, “Hello, I’m Taeil, your neighbor in room eighteen. I hope we can get along well.”

Ooh…hot and polite.

“I just got off work. How is your unpacking going?”

Soomin smiled back and bowed, “I look forward to having you as my neighbor. I don’t have much to unpack as my boxes haven’t arrived.”

“Ah, is there anything you need?”

“Mmm, a place to eat. Do you know any good ones within walking distance?”

“Well, there are a few but if you want to save some money I could make you dinner?”

Soomin felt her heart jump. A polite hottie is offering to make me dinner…

“You don’t have you if you don’t want to, it would just give us time to get acquainted and save you some money,” Taeil politely responding while trying to read her.

“If I’m not imposing…” Soomin smiled. They parted with her promising to come over in five minutes. Soomin went to her purse and pulled out her make-up. She touched it up in the bathroom. After checking herself out in the mirror, she left her apartment locking the door handle.

She in a breath as she pushed the door bell for room eighteen. She heard the lock click and the door open revealing a smiling face.

“Hi, come in,” Taeil stepped back giving her room to enter. She stepped in and slipped her shoes off. His apartment was open with living room in front of her and the kitchen against the far wall. Taeil closed the door and stepped in the living room. “This way.”

“Wow,” the apartment was decorated with black and red. “It looks very chic.”

“Haha, not what you were expecting?”

“Not compared to mine. I know I just moved in but this place belongs in another building.”

Taeil laughed as he walked across the living room toward the kitchen. The kitchen was separated from the living room by an island. The counters formed a ‘u’ shape from the island curving around to the far wall. The far wall had the fridge while the stove and sink were on the adjacent wall. There were pans on the stove waiting for Taeil to begin cooking.

“So, what do you want to eat?” Taeil smiled at her as he opened the fridge, “Come look at your options.”

“Uh, anything really, especially if it’s easy.” Soomin replied shyly.

“Come and look before you say that.” He encouraged her by grabbing her wrist and pulling her into the kitchen. He let go pushing her in front of the fridge. She looked at the fresh vegetables which she had been lacking after a long train ride followed by a bus ride.

“Something with vegetables.” Soomin looked back at Taeil with a smile. “They sound delicious.”

Taeil nodded, “How about stir fry?”

“Mmm,” she nodded in response, “Can we also have salad?”

“Woo, demanding…” He teased with a smile.

Soomin cheeks flushed. Did I ask for too much?

“I don’t want to im-”

“Salad, stir fry, any rice?”

Soomin laughed and nodded. So gracious. She stepped back out of the kitchen to give him room.

“Where are you going, you can at least work for your food.” Taeil held out the vegetables. “Take them to the sink and wash them.”

Soomin took and armful the sink. She turned to go back but he already had the rest in his arms. He set them in the sink and she began washing. Taeil pulled out a cutting board and knife. She set the clean vegetables on the counter allowing Taeil to begin the cutting. He one of the burners and poured oil into a pan. Soomin finished washing the vegetables.

“The rice is in that lower cabinet and grab a pot from that drawer.” Taeil jerked his head towards the cabinet then towards the drawer. Soomin gathered the items he requested by the sink.

“Do you have a strainer and how many scoops?”

“No, and uh…three,” he replied while chopping.

Soomin set the pot in the sink. After dumping in three scoops she washed the rice draining it the best she could. She found a measuring cup and poured the water.

“You can sit now if you want to.”

Soomin walked around the island which doubled as a bar. She slid on to a stool. After adjusting herself she began watching Taeil. He another burner and set the pot over it. He swirled the oil in the pan then turned to her.

“Did you move here from another city?”

“Yes, I was attending college, I graduated just recently. I was looking for a job there, but finally found one here thanks to a family member.”

“What job did you find?” Taeil turned back to the food. He walked over to cabinet returning with a lid. Once the rice was covered he looked at her again. She almost forgot his question.

“Ah, I took up a job from a man who does…well, I don’t really know what his business is but he needed a graphic designer. I haven’t officially met with him, just talked with him on the phone. I will find out tomorrow since it’s my first day.” Soomin frowned a little.

“Well good luck with your first day.” Taeil laughed lightly. She’s cute even when she frowns. He scooped up some of the vegetables and dropped them lightly into the pan. The doorbell rang. He looked to Soomin, “Could you get the door please?”

Soomin nodded while getting up, “Yes.”

She walked to the door admiring the décor once again. The doorbell sounded while she made her way. She walked a little brisker trying to get to door before it rang again. Soomin considered looking through the peephole but the doorbell went off. She reached out for the knob and pulled it before she stopped walking completely. As the door opened she saw blonde hair quickly followed by Hello Kitty.

 

“Please, Taeil, I need some more sugar.”

A small bowl was shoved into Soomin’s face. Soomin stared at the cartoon character but it quickly disappeared. The blonde looked innocently at her then cocked his head as he realized she wasn’t Taeil. Ooh, cute girl…at Taeil’s place…

“This wasn’t quite the sugar I was talking about…but I take you.”

The blonde reached a hand towards Soomin. A wooden spool came swinging down between them smacking the blonde on the hand.

“You came for sugar, not my neighbor. It’s in the kitchen, you know where.” Taeil turned to Soomin, “This is our floor mate, Jihoo.”

“Zico,” A shout came from the kitchen. Taeil rolled his eyes as he started back to the kitchen. Soomin smiled and followed Taeil back. Soomin sat back down at the bar off the island. Zico had a bag of sugar set on the counter as he shoved the small bowl into the bag scooping out as much as he could. “Sorry, I keep bumming off you, I still haven’t gone shopping.”

“Mmm, yea, you can pay me back later.” Taeil replied as he stirred some of the food.

“You new here?” Zico looked towards Soomin.

“Ah, yes, I just moved in today. My apartment is pretty sparse, I also need to shop.”

“Really,” A smirk formed on Zico’s face. “Maybe we should go together, carpool and save some gas?”

“Oh, I don’t have a car to give you a ride.” Soomin replied bitting her lip.

The smirk got wider, “I do. You can catch a ride with me, save you the trouble of the bus ride and you keep me company. What’d you say?”

“Alright, when?”

“I get off work tomorrow at six.”

“Mmm, I get off at five.”

“Meet me in the front at six twenty, we’ll just go right after.”

“Alright.” Soomin smiled.

“Dinner will be done in about fifteen minutes,” Taeil announced then turning to Zico, “Wanna stay?”

“Naw, something is in the microwave already. Thanks for the sugar.” Zico walked across the kitchen nodding to Soomin as he passed into the living room, “See you at six twenty.”

 

Soomin stretched then flopped on her bed. Dinner was good…even better with such a hot neighbor. After they finished dinner, she had come home and taken a shower. She had forgotten to close the door to her balcony. The cat had left while she was at Taeil’s. She closed and locked it before going to the bathroom for her shower. My first official shower…with out any legit soap…should I bug Taeil again. She scrounged through the bathroom and found a partial bar of soap. I’m going shopping tomorrow so I’ll just it up. Soomin hadn’t bothered to wash her hair. She pulled the bun tied to her head out while reaching into her purse for her comb.

While pulling out the comb she also grabbed her phone. There was a reply from P.O, ‘There is a fast food place a couple blocks away.’ The time on the scene said it was past eleven. Too late to reply to the cutie. After tossing her phone back in her purse, she began running the comb in her hair. After racking through all her hair, she tied a loose braid that reached about the middle of her back. I really need sheets and blankets. Soomin looked in the cabinets for a blanket. She walked into the living room and spotted one on the couch. Ah, daebak! Soomin threw the blanket on the bed then collapse on it. The guys here sure seem concerned with me and saving money…or maybe it’s not the money…Doesn’t matter they’re all so hot. Soomin laughed pressing her face into the pillow.