Chapter 1

Unnoticeable

"Watching Hyukjae again?"

Donghae slides into the chair next to his best friend, watching as said-person jerks back in surprise, loses his balance and flails helpless for a second or two before his chair tips completely backwards and he ends up on the floor, rubbing his head. A few people turn their head to see what happened, but nobody say anything when they see who it is. Jongwoon glares up at him, pouting.

"What have I said about just popping out of nowhere and scaring me like that, Donghae?" The older male mumbles sulkily as he gets to his feet, his plump lower lip still sticking out.

Grabbing the chair and pulling it upright again, Donghae flashes his friend a brilliant smile.

"But I called your name several times," he replies happily, eyes shining as Jongwoon gets seated again. "You were just too busy with ... other things to notice."

Feeling his face heat up, Jongwoon wishes he could strangle Donghae so he would never have to see his irritatingly perfect smile or hear his sing-songy voice ever again.

"I wish I'd never told you," he says, sulking as he crosses his arms over his chest and stares at his best friend as hard he can. (Which in reality really isn't very hard, but don’t tell him.) Not even slightly affected by the supposed-to-be glare, Donghae chuckles and leans forward.

"Wouldn't have mattered, we both know I can read you like an open book," he whispers. "The only way you could've made it any more obvious were if you had a neon-sign flashing above your head."

"I hate you," Jongwoon mumbles as he buries his face in his arms to hide his red cheeks.

Smiling, Donghae reaches forward and ruffles his hair. "Love you too."

"Shut up."

Just as Donghae's laughter echoes through the cafeteria, the bell ring, signaling the end of lunch-break.

 

-

 

In the following class - English - Jongwoon spends most of the time thinking about what Donghae had said.

He and Donghae became friends in kindergarten, or - Donghae had befriended him when his family had moved to the house opposite his - Jongwoon had been shy even as a four-year old. But after several weeks of one-sided talking from a forever-cheerful Donghae and lots of awkward visits to Jongwoon's house that would have made anyone else give up, Jongwoon had finally begun to open up, and they'd been glued together ever since. (Even when Donghae had gotten kinda popular in high school, they had stayed together, to Jongwoon's continuous surprise and delight, though he would never tell Donghae that.)

Their families still lived opposite each other, but he and Donghae have moved into an apartment closer to their university -sharing the cost- when they had finished high school. It only had three rooms; one bedroom, a bathroom and a kitchen/living-room, but they still got along as well as they always had and sharing was no issue to them. Except the occasional banter (meaning Donghae teasing Jongwoon), they had no problems.

The teasing had increased a notch (or ten) after Donghae had figured out Jongwoon's growing infatuation with Hyukjae, and Jongwoon felt as the time he spent embarrassed each day had tripled, but it was a way for Donghae to show he cared, so he never complained (or, actually, he very often complained, but never seriously). Besides, Donghae never really did anything but tease, when he could've done so many other worse things, so a little teasing was perfectly livable. Just thinking about what he'd seen just a few weeks earlier, Jongwoon knew he was lucky.

While waiting in line for lunch, a girl had zoomed past him with another girl in tow. They had stopped a few meters before him, in front of a guy in his class who was also standing in line. While the towed-girl had been blushing and looking away, the towing-girl had (in a very loud voice, actually) declared that her friend (obviously the girl she'd been towing) really liked him and wanted to go out with him. The guy had been surprised for a second, then looked a little sorry and said that he already had a girlfriend. The shy girl had burst into tears and run away, and Jongwoon could only imagine her embarrassment.
Getting rejected in front of the whole cafeteria during lunch-break was totally not on his "Top 10 Things He Wants To Do Before Graduates". Thank God Donghae would never do anything like that. If he had been the person to do something like that, Jongwoon would never have honestly told Donghae about his feelings for Hyukjae. (Though, what had really happened was that Donghae had noticed him looking at Eunhyuk more often than normal, and then proceeded to tease and bother him mercilessly for days until Jongwoon finally broke down and admitted that yes, he thought Lee Hyukjae was handsome.)

"...on."

Jongwoon blinks. What?

"Jongwoon."

Donghae's face pops up mere centimeters from his own, and he reels back in shock.

"Donghae! You seriously need to stop doing that," he breathes, heart thundering in his chest.

A second passes, where Donghae stares surprised at him, then his entire face lights up.

"Where you thinking about Hyukjae again?" he whispers not-so-quietly, his already big grin widening even further when Jongwoon blushes.

"Donghae, sssh! Not so loud, would you?!" Jongwoon hisses, two bright red spots on his cheeks.

Donghae just grins at him.

"I actually wasn't thinking about him," Jongwoon mumbles when Donghae doesn't say anything, looking down on his desk.

"Oh really?" Donghae deadpans.

"I really wasn't!" Jongwoon fumbles with his pencil for a moment.

"I was thinking about ... us," he admits, cheeks getting redder. "You know, how long we've been together and stuff."

Donghae is stunned onto silence for a moment. Then his eyes widen as he finally understands what Jongwoon is saying, and - with a mighty squeal - he throws himself at his best friend.

"Aaaw! You are so adorable!"

Jongwoon splutters and stammers underneath Donghae, blushing furiously.

"Donghae! We're in school! Behave yourself, would y-" the rest of Jongwoon's sentence dies away as he realizes they're alone. "Donghae?"

Said person stops his hugging. "Yeah?"

"Where is everyone?"

Donghae looks around. They are the only people in the classroom.

"Ah, right!" He snaps his fingers. "That's why I called your name earlier. I wanted to get your attention so I could tell you that class is over, since you seemed to be somewhere far away from the realistic world of English-literature."

Jongwoon stares open-mouthed at him for a while. Then he clamps his teeth together and jumps up. Within a few seconds, he's packed his bag and slung it across his back. Donghae stares at him questioningly.

Already on the way to the door, Jongwoon turns around and looks at his friend.

"The next class, Donghae? We have History with Ms. Park, and only a five minute break."

It takes a moment for the seriousness of the situation to sink into Donghae, but he's by the door in an instant when it finally does.

"Come on, hurry up," he throws over his shoulder at Jongwoon, who only rolls his eyes before hurrying after his best friend.

-

 

“You’re staring ~”

”You know I hate you, right?” Jongwoon whispers as Donghae happily pokes him in the cheek with his pencil. He’s been looking at Hyukjae for … he don’t know, actually, but hopefully it was just a minute or two. (Several minutes is more correct, but he doesn’t want to admit that.) History is the only subject he has together with the other boy, which is the reason he normally don’t learn a single thing during the 45 minutes the class lasts. (And has to study extra at home.)

Donghae’s answer is poking him harder, still grinning. Irritated, Jongwoon tries to grab for the pen but misses, and ends up with his face all over Donghae’s textbook. Just as he is about to lift himself back up, the teacher turns around and spots him.

"Kim Jongwoon! What are you doing?! Sleeping in class is under no circumstances allowed! I don't care what you did last night that caused you to not get enough sleep; I will not have you sleeping in my class! You are to be awake and paying attention, and ..."

Blushing furiously, Jongwoon hangs his head and tries to disappear. He knows the entire class is watching him, and getting more and more embarrassed as the lecture goes on, he literally shrinks down into his seat. How he wish the floor would just open up and swallow him. Feeling Donghae shaking with suppressed laughter beside him, he changes his wish to "the floor swallowing him up and hiding him, but chewing on and then spitting Donghae back out". 

As the teacher gets more and more worked up, and words like "failing", "repeating" and "detention" starts to appear, Jongwoon sneaks a glance towards his best friend.

"Donghae," he whimpers, unable to keep the pleading out of his voice.

Donghae looks back him, and sighs silently. He can never refuse Jongwoon when he looks that miserable, and the reason the teacher was yelling at him was kinda Donghae's fault anyway.

"Mrs. Park?" He interrupts.

Surprised, the teacher goes silent and looks at Donghae, who's smiling charmingly. (Something only Donghae can do without seeming cheesy, Yesung secretly believes.)

"Are you wearing a new dress today? You look beautiful."

Next to him, Jongwoon dies a little inside.

He has been incredibly awkward around for as long as anyone can remember, but Donghae was only a few years old when he figured out that women were weak towards him. And though he was generally a cool guy, the things he would sometimes say ... Jongwoon can’t figure out how Donghae comes up with those corny, stupid lines, but he will never understand how Donghae actually finds the courage to say them out loud. Just hearing them normally make Jongwoon blush and want to go hide somewhere dark where no one can find him.

But then, he wasn't Donghae, and Donghae could say practically anything and still not seem uncool. As proven when instead of Donghae getting slapped in the face (as Jongwoon feels he deserves), Mrs. Park blushes instead.

"Thank you Donghae. I am, actually," she admits, running her hands down the white floral dress she is wearing.

Had Jongwoon been more of a straight-forward type, he would have accused Mrs. Park of being a pedo-noona. She wasn't ugly -a lot of people would probably consider her to be on the pretty side- but she had already passed forty, and they were only 18. The (however sudden) compliment made her completely forget about Jongwoon though, so he doesn’t say anything as, after a minute, she turns back to the blackboard to continue the lesson.

"Thanks," he whispers, turning towards Donghae, who's grinning at him.

He frowns. Donghae grinning like that usually isn't a good thing. Then Donghae does a strange almost-toss-something with his head.

"What?" Jongwoon mouths, curiosity getting the best of him.

Donghae does the odd head-tossing-motion again, and Jongwoon realizes it's probably supposed to be an indicator towards something. He looks in the direction he believes Donghae means, and meet a pair of familiar, dark brown eyes. Jongwoon holds Hyukjae's gaze for about half a second before his face goes up in flames, and he practically dives into the safety of his arms.

Beside him, Donghae is in the process of trying to die of laughing. After a minute or two, he manages to gather enough to cough out "real smooth, Jongwoon, real smooth," before he dissolves into laughter again.

Jongwoon mumbles a half-hearted "shut up", and doesn't look up until the class is over. 

 

-

 

“I still can’t believe your reaction in History-class,” Donghae chuckles as they walk out of their math-class, school finally over.

"Would you please stop talking about that," Jongwoon huffs, trying to seem indignant. Donghae looks at him, and have to keep himself from laughing as the pink tainting Jongwoon's cheeks give him away.

"Naaw, come on! It wasn't that bad," he says cheerfully, throwing an arm around his best-friend's shoulders. When all he receives is a flat look from Jongwoon, he laughs and claps (hits, Jongwoon mentally sulks) him on the chest with the hand already around his shoulders. The impact makes Jongwoon cough as they continue down the hallway and out the double doors that make up the school's eastern entrance.

Without needing to say anything, they turn left unto a small but well-used path that cuts through the trees behind the school. They walk for a few minutes in silence, both of them lost in thoughts, until they reach a very familiar little building with a green roof, tucked away between a big office-building and an empty warehouse just outside of campus. A small bell jingles as Donghae pushes the door open and enters, Jongwoon right behind him. The man currently wiping off tables looks up when he hears the bell, and smiles his dimpled smile when he sees them. Jongwoon is the first to talk.

"Hello, Jungsoo-sshi. How are you today?"

Both the other men present grimace at Jongwoon's formality, and Donghae slaps the back of his head. Surprised, Jongwoon grabs his head and glares at Donghae.

"What was that for?" he asks offended, but staring at Donghae with hurt eyes.

Donghae sighs.

"Nothing, sweetie. Let's go sit down." Patting the black mess that is his best friend's hair, he walks past him and towards one of the tables near the counter.

Jongwoon is about to ask Donghae about the 'sweetie'-comment as he follows after him to the table, (was he being made fun of?) when something else catches his attention and he turns around, inhaling the sweet scent. Spotting Jungsoo on the way towards them with a plate in each hands, his eyes instantly light up, and Donghae laughs at his friend's happy puppy-dog-face.

"Freshly made just for you guys," Jungsoo smiles as he puts the two pieces of chocolate-cake down on the table.

Jongwoon immediately grabs his plate and pulls it towards him. He's about to dig in in when he notices that something is missing, and looks up.

"Jungsoo-hyung, where's the fork?"

Laughing at his bewildered face and sad puppy-eyes, Jungsoo lays down two small cake-forks wrapped in napkins.

"If you had just waited a few seconds, Jongwoon-ah, I would have been able to put it down before you missed it," he scolds gently.

Jongwoon looks embarrassed for a tiny second, then he grabs the fork and starts on he cake instead. Neither Donghae and Jungsoo can't help but crack a smile at him. Jongwoon's greatest weakness is cakes, and he's pretty much unstoppable when he finally gets hold of one. After watching him for a minute in silence, Jungsoo sighs and sits down in the chair next to Donghae.

Donghae looks up from his cake, and just stares at the older man for a moment.

"How is the café doing?" he asks, quietly, making sure Jongwoon doesn't hear.

Jungsoo sighs again. "Not too good, sadly. I've been working part-time at night to get a little extra money, but the café still just don't get enough customers, I'm afraid. I might have to close down soon if it continues like this."

The corners of Donghae's mouth turns down, and he frowns. "I'll bring some classmates and people from my dance-classes." He turns to look at Jongwoon, but continues, almost completely silent: "I'd hate to see this place close."

Knowing he doesn't expect an answer, Jungsoo doesn't give him one. There is another moment of silence, then Jongwoon is done with his cake.

"So," Donghae says brightly, trying to lighten the mood before Jongwoon notices the tension, "have you heard about what happened between Jongwoon and his boyfriend today?"

Seeing the evil smirk on Donghae's face, Jungsoo raises an eyebrow. "No?"

"Nothing happened!" Jongwoon shoots in before Donghae can continue, his face a lovely shade of pink. And then, almost as an after-thought, adds: "And he's not my boyfriend."

"Yet," Donghae whispers in a not-so-quiet-that-everyone-present-cannot-hear-voice. Jongwoon's cheeks turn scarlet, and Jungsoo laughs at the two of them. It's rare to see two so close friends these days.

Before anyone can say anything else though, something starts beeping, and they all turn their heads in the direction of the kitchen.

Jungsoo looks at his wrist-watch, then stands. "Oops, time to go take the mini-pizzas out of the oven."

"Make sure you don't drop them," Donghae calls after him, and laughs when all he gets in reply is the finger over Jungsoo's shoulder.

Turning back to Jongwoon, they both sit in silence for a while. Then something strickes Donghae.

"Hey, you've never told me why you like Hyukjae," he says curiously. Then he watches as Jongwoon's eyes widen, his face reddens, and how he splutters for a whole minute before he manages to form a coherent sentence.

"W-why I l-l-l-like him?" Jongwoon stutters, and Donghae thinks it's adorable that his friend still can't say the word "like" after being in love for over six months.

"Yes."

There's silence for a few seconds. Then Jongwoon lowers his head.

"I'm not telling," he mumbles, while his cheeks are bright enough to light up a small room.

The statement doesn't surprise Donghae, who was, after all, the one that spent around four days just to make Jongwoon admit to having a crush on Hyukjae. But if anyone knows how to make his friend talk, it's himself.

"So, you don't know?" Donghae asks as he relaxes in his chair, arms folded behind his head.

Jongwoon's head snaps up at the question. "Of course I do!"

His cheeks are still red , but he looks a bit more offended than just embarrassed. Which is good. Because -and Donghae knows this from experience- the only ways to make Jongwoon talk is to either make him cry, or angry. Angry is by far the most preferred method. Making Jongwoon cry is like kicking a puppy.

"I doubt it. If you did know, why won't you tell me?" Donghae continues. "It's not like it'll make a difference or anything."

Jongwoon refuses to answer. Donghae pushes harder.

"It can't be that you are ashamed? I mean, I would be if I were in love with Lee Hyukjae, but still..."

Glancing at his best friend, Donghae has to stifle a laugh. Jongwoon is practically bristling in anger, a very rare look on his best friend. Time to end it.

"Because, let's be honest, it's not like he's that good-looking, and his smile isn't the best. Plus his dancing is pretty mediocre and-"

"I beg your pardon!" Jongwoon interrupts loudly, and Donghae has to cough to disguise the chuckle that manages to sneak past his lips. He had forgotten about Jongwoon's peculiar way of talking when he is angry.

"I'll have you know Hyukjae is indeed a plenty handsome man!" Jongwoon continues angrily, ignorant to Donghae's amusement. "His gummy-smile smile happens to be one of his most charming points, thank you very much! And don't you dare say another unflattering word about his dancing! He is the better dancer of the two of you, mind you! He pours his whole being into dancing, and that makes his dance more alive than anyone else's! Just by watching him, you can feel his joy and happiness and how much he simply loves dancing! And  he is always in a good mood, loves to smile and is very friendly and charming ... to ... everyone ..."

As his anger subsides, Jongwoon's shyness returns and Donghae watches with amusement as the color of his cheeks increases at the same pace the volume of his voice decreases.

Then what he's been saying finally catches up to him, and Jongwoon hides his burning face in his hands. After a few seconds, he peeks through his fingers, but when he is met with Donghae's still-smiling face, he is quick to take cover in his arms instead.

"Have I told you that I hate you?" he mumbles. the sound muffled by his arms and sweater.

"Often, and I love you too," Donghae answers satisfied. Mission accomplished. All he gets in reply is a low moan, and he laughs happily. Then his eyes widen dramatically as an idea hits him.

After a few seconds of silence, Jongwoon gets worried and looks up. Donghae's wide smirk causes him yelp and to rock back in his chair.

"I know that smile," he says accusingly. "Whatever you are planning, I'm not going along with it!"

Jongwoon tries to sound strong and determined, but the waver in his voice gives him away. Donghae's grin widens.

"I haven't even told you with I was thinking ," he smiles, innocent-looking, but Jongwoon knows the truth. He also knows, however, that he isn't -and has never been- a match for Lee Donghae. Still, it doesn't mean he will give up without a fight.

"I don't need to, I still won't do it."

"Oh?" Donghae raises an eyebrow mockingly.

"Your plans never end well!"

"Oh really? What about the time I got us free cinema-tickets?"

"And I got grounded and had to pay for both of them when I got home?"

"That was just once," Donghae argues.

"Was not! There was that time you thought it would be a good idea to give an apple to the teacher, and it was rotten inside. Who got the blame?" Jongwoon's lower lip starts to stick out.

"Well, that was-"

Or the time you thought I had a talent for drawing and entered me in that drawing-competition in ninth grade? Who was ridiculed in front of the entire school?"

"But I didn't know-"

"Or when you decided that I shuld steal apples from my neighbor while you kept guard, and you fell asleep? And I got scolded for an hour, alone? I meant that your plans never end well for me, Donghae. So I'm not gonna go along with whatever you were thinking!" Jongwoon's lower lip has grown into a full-blown pout. Donghae stays silent for a minute, and Jongwoon feels his hope rising. Maybe he's actually gotten through to Donghae for once? But then Donghae looks up at him, and he comes crushing back to reality just in time to make him keep his balance as Donghae grabs his arm and jerks him to his feet.

"Just forget at all those old things, this is gonna be different," Donghae laughs as he heads for the door. Jongwoon isn't particulary liking the evil grin on his best friend's face. Shouting a goodbye to Jungsoo, he lets himself get dragged outside nonetheless. What had he been hoping for, this was Lee Donghae he was talking about.

"Where are we going?" Jongwoon asks when Donghae doesn't slow down, even after they're out of the café. Donghae turns and grants him one of his full-fledged movie-star smiles.

"We are going to the dance school, where you will attend me and Hyukjae's dance class!" He sounds very pleased with himself.

Jongwoon feels his mouth drop open, and it takes him a few seconds before he can respond.

"B-b-b-but, I-I can't do that!"

"Sure you can. Don't worry, it's not like you will actually take part in the class or anything. You can just sit in the back and watch. Maybe you can get a chance to talk to Hyukjae. It'll be good for you." What is actually coming out of Donghae's mouth doesn't sound nearly as reassuring to Jongwoon as his friend's voice would indicate.

"Donghae, listen to me, I seriously can't do that! My current -and very well-working- plan is is to avoid him as much as possible! Donghae!" When he doesn't get a reaction from his friend, Jongwoon tries to dig his heels into the ground to stop him, but Donghae just pulls him along effortlessly. Damn Donghae and his dancing-muscles!

"Donghae?" Jongwoon tries again, a slight whine entering his voice.

"Oh, just keep quiet. And relax, I know what I'm doing. Don't you trust your best friend?" Donghae answers, still sounding all happy and pleased with himself.

'No' is on the tip of Jongwoon's tongue, but then he can suddenly see the dance school-building a hundred meters in front of them, and the word dies in his mouth. He can feel the blood leave his face, dread making him all tingly.

"Donghae? You're not actually going to make me go in there, are you? Donghae? Donghae? Please don't? Donghae? Please? Donghae! Dongh- Noooooo!"

The door clicks shut behind them.

 


 

Here it is ~
The first chapter of my first ever chaptered fan-fic \*O*/ Oh, and my first Yehyuk-story ♥
It's also the first time I've written a story in ... now-time(? present-tense? help? anyone? can't remember ;A;) and I've tried to write more dialogs then I normally do, and thereby not explain everything "outside" the story so much. Hope it didn't turn out awful xD ><
The story is roughly beta'd by me, please point out any spelling-mistakes etc. if you see them, and constructive critism is welcomed.
Please enjoy ~ <3 (Or hoped you enjoyed it? Anyway, take care ♥)

(And though I feel this is kinda mean, more comments = next chapter faster ^-^ ♥)

Btw, Park Jungsoo is Leeteuk's real name, if anyone didn't know ^-^