Love is thicker than Blood

Love is thicker than Blood

 

Yoon Namshil, an 18 year old orphan girl went to the market after her class to buy foods for the next day. She’s living alone with the money her parents left for her. She doesn’t have any relatives left. They were all killed when she was still young. They say it’s a murder but no one really knew what happened. At first, she thought of fighting for justice but later on she gave up and decided to live the present life she has right now, alone.

From the market she decided to take a short cut to her apartment since it’s already getting late. It’s a dark and narrow sidewalk where most high school gangsters hangout. She knows it’s risky but she needs to go home fast for she still has a lot of homework to do. She’s walking as fast and as careful as she can try to keep her head bowed down to not catch any attention from the gangsters. But unfortunately, she failed.

“Hey miss, wanna hangout with us?” One of the gangsters said.

She didn’t say anything but walked faster instead. They chased after her while saying unpleasant tings. Namshil felt so scared that her body is literally shaking. One of the gangsters held her elbow stopping her to go away. “Come on, don’t be such a hard to get.” The gangster holding her elbow said. Then they held both of her hands. She tried to shove their hands and free herself but her strength isn’t enough against four guys.

“No please…” Namshil begged. They were laughing at her hopelessness. She felt like crying out of fear and regret for even taking this way home. When one of the gangsters tried to touch her, she shut her eyes closed and tried to stop her breathing in fear. But she opened her eyes right after when she doesn’t feel anything and just heard groans and fists clashing.

There’s this guy with blonde hair who’s now holding the gangster by his collar.

“Let the girl go, or I’ll smash this guy’s face on the wall.” The blonde guy threatened.

The one holding Namshil on her right hand chuckled. “Who do you think you are to command us? You don’t know who you’re talking to?”

Losing his patience, the blonde guy literally threw the gangster on the wall which leads him for having nosebleed. That’s the time the three other gangsters attacked at once. But it only took the blonde guy few kicks and punches for them to run away like scared kids.

“Are you okay?” The blonde guy asked Namshil who just stood there while holding to her chest not able to move a bit. She breathes deeply to calm herself and nodded at the blonde guy. “Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks-…” Namshil paused for a while because she doesn’t know what to call the blonde guy.

“It’s Donghae. Lee Donghae.” The guy introduced.

“My name’s Yoon Namshil. Thanks for saving me.” Namshil said as she looked into his eyes. Her eyes widened in surprise for she didn’t expect what she saw.

“Why?” Donghae asked in curiosity by the way she looked at him.

“Your eyes. They’re red. Just like the color of…blood.”

Donghae swallowed hard and looked up to the moon which is full. Then he looked down again and held his neck. “Don’t look.” He said to Namshil as he turned his head on the other side to hide his fangs away from her. His breathing became heavy, almost panting. He leaned his back to the wall to help his body stand but he failed so he just sits on the floor while trying to control himself from something that Namshil might already know by now.

“You’re a vampire?”

“Are you scared?”

“With the gangsters, yes. But with you, no.” Namshil answered as she walks towards Donghae.

“No. Don’t come near me.”

“But you’re urging for blood.”

“And what do you think you’ll gonna do?”

“Offer you my blood.” She said as she knelt down between his legs. She her hair on one side to fully expose her neck.

“Bite me.” Namshil provoked. She doesn’t know what she’s doing but just did and said what’s on her mind like an impulse.

For Donghae, it was a sweet temptation. It’s hard to control yourself when you’re urging for blood and then there’s someone offering it to you. The sweet smell of her blood is hard to resist. So he held her close as if hugging her.

“This is insane. You really don’t have to do this.” Donghae said. He’s a merciful vampire after all.

“Don’t worry it’s okay. I’m not gonna scream” Namshil assured him.

Then Donghae began to her neck and Namshil winced at the sudden action. He buries his fangs on her neck. “Ah!” Namshil exclaimed when she felt Donghae’s sharp fangs under her skin. She bit her lip and held onto Donghae tighter at the pain. Hearing the sound of her blood being out of her body made her feel euphoric. Donghae’s lips touching her skin made her blush. How such an action could make her feel this way? She didn’t know either.

Donghae withdrew when he felt satisfied. He Namshil’s neck for one last time not leaving any stain of blood. He wiped the smeared blood on his lips with his forehand while looking at Namshil. His red eyes is slowly fading and turning to brown. Then he helped Namshil fix her hair. Fixed enough to hide the fang mark on her neck.

“Don’t you ever dare to do that again.” Donghae said as they stood up.

“Do what?”

“Offering your blood to a vampire…especially if it’s not me.”

Namshil was about to respond to what Donghae has said but she was distracted when she noticed Donghae was looking on something behind her. So she turned around in curiosity but when she realized that there’s nothing behind her she looked at Donghae again but he wasn’t already there.

- - -

 

It’s Friday and everyone’s excited to end the class and have fun. After class, Namshil and her friends decided to go to the theme park. They’ve been roaming around the park for an hour now, playing games and riding different rides. Not until Namshil saw a familiar blonde guy among the crowd.

“Girls, I just need to go somewhere, okay? I’ll be back soon. I promise.”

“Okay.”

She followed him until they reached the river bank. But she wondered why Donghae’s almost running when he doesn’t even know that Namshil’s following him. That’s when she realized there’s not only the two of them there. There’s someone chasing them. Or maybe it’s just Donghae whom he’s chasing.

“It’s a river. You can’t go anywhere now.” A guy spoke and revealed himself. He’s holding a sword and wearing a white coat as if one of those uniforms that Seaman’s use. The only difference is, there are a lot of silver buttons and chains and a big cross at the back. She knows there’s something going on so she tried to hide herself behind the tree.

“This place is much suitable for violence than theme parks.”

“I see you’re a merciful vampire but it’s also my job to kill you.”

And exchange of strength, fists and weapons begun. Namshil couldn’t bear to watch so she just stayed there and covered her face with her hands. She just removed them when she could only hear is silence. She went to check if it’s already done. And what she could only see is Donghae kneeling on the ground while panting and the guy in white coat isn’t there anymore. She came closer to help him out.

“Are you okay?”

“What are you doing here?” Donghae asked in surprise.

“I saw you at the park so I followed you.” Then Namshil’s eye landed on Donghae’s bleeding arm.

“Omo! You’re bleeding!” Namshil exclaimed out of worry. She wrapped her hankie on Donghae’s arms to stop the bleeding. “Why won’t it stop bleeding? Aren’t your wound suppose to heal by itself? You’re a vampire, right?” But Donghae didn’t answer. So Namshil act on an impulse again. “Come on, we need to go to the hospital.”

Donghae held her when she’s about to help him. “Don’t bother.”

“But you’re injured. You need to be treated.”

“They won’t be of any help either. This isn’t just a simple cut. That guy, he’s vampire hunter and the sword that he used is a purifier. Any vampire that would be slashed with it would die. Just a good thing I was just wounded. But anytime soon, I’ll die. So don’t bother.”

“What? Isn’t there any way? There must be.”

“There is.”

“What? Tell me.”

“No, I can’t. Never mind.”

“Look, I was trying to save you. Humans, vampires or whatever they are doesn’t deserve to die just like this. I don’t want you to die. So please tell me.”

Donghae looked away before speaking. “Human’s blood.”

And immediately, Namshil picked up Donghae’s knife and slashed her palm. She let few drops of her blood fall to his wound. Donghae was staring at her wondering about some questions on his mind. As his wound slowly, slowly heal like there was no wound there at all.

“Do you feel better now?”

Donghae nodded his head. “Thanks.”

After that, there’s a moment of silence and none of them dares to speak. Not until Donghae broke the silence. “Why are you doing this?” He suddenly asked.

“I don’t know either. But honestly, I can’t get you out of my mind since last night and I just can’t bear the thought of you dying…Ow!” She felt her wound hurt a bit. She almost forgot about it out of so much worry about Donghae.

“Let me see your wound.” Donghae reached for her hand and was about to put a temporary bandage to stop the bleeding.

“ it.” Namshil demanded. Donghae looked at her in surprise. But he didn’t hesitate and did what he was told.

“Namshil-ah!” A voice probably Namshil’s friends’ called for her from afar. She turned to look around where the voice is coming from.

“I’m coming!” She responded.

“Dong-…” She sighed in disappointment when she realized that Donghae left again without even saying anything. And she just noticed her wounded hand wrapped in a temporary bandage.

- - -

 

First class in the morning while waiting for their homeroom teacher, Namshil was staring at the window at her side. Not really thinking about anything, just staring.

“Good morning class.” Their teacher greeted. “Before we start our class for today, I’m going to introduce you first to your new classmate.”

“Good morning. My name’s Lee Donghae. Nice meeting you all.”

Lee Donghae?

Namshil suddenly woke up from her temporary daze after hearing his name and looked at the person who just introduced. And as she expected, it was really him. It was the Lee Donghae that she knows.

“You can sit beside Namshil there at the back.” The teacher gestured at her direction. They were both looking at each other as Donghae walks to her direction. They didn’t broke there stare until Donghae took his sit Namshil was still looking at him. She couldn’t help it. Just a while ago, she was just staring blankly at the window but now after hearing his name and seeing him her mind is now flooded with thoughts. How could he do that to her?

Namshil tried to break away from the stare and get back to herself. Few minutes have passed but she still couldn’t make herself concentrate on what the teacher was actually discussing in front. She was distracted at the thought of Donghae sitting beside her not as a vampire but as a classmate. Not long after, she decided to write something on a piece of paper she tore from her notebook and threw at Donghae’s desk. He opened the crumpled paper and read through his mind. On the paper it says: I need to talk to you. Later at the rooftop.

When the bell rang, Donghae immediately went out of the room and walked his way to the rooftop. Namshil followed him making sure no one would notice so she kept distance from him as much as possible.

She shut the door close behind her when they reached the rooftop. “What are you doing here?” Namshil immediately asked. There are a lot of thoughts clouding her mind right now and she needs them to be cleared. “Are vampires aren’t allowed to go to school?” Donghae asked in return.

“No. What I mean is, why in my school?”

“It’s because I couldn’t get you out of my mind. And it’s been bothering me. I’ve been living in this world for a hundred and twenty-one years already and it’s the first time that someone gave meaning to it.”

“Oh yeah? Then what? You’ll gonna leave me again just like what you did the before?” Namshil retorted. She was supposed to be happy after hearing his confession but she couldn’t get that thought out of her mind.

“No, I won’t do that ever again.” Donghae said while caressing her cheeks. “I can’t live you. Never.” They were looking at each other’s eyes once again.

“Is it me or is it just my blood?”

“Both.” Donghae admitted and closed that gap between their lips.

- - -

 

“Hop on.” Donghae said gesturing to his motorcycle.

“Where are we going?”

“Driving you home.”

Namshil smiled and did as she was told. She wore the helmet and held onto Donghae’s shoulder.

“Not there.” Donghae said and guided her hand on his waist as if hugging him. Namshil smiled even more and leaned her head on his back while blushing. She knows her heart’s beating faster and faster during the ride but she hopes Donghae couldn’t feel it on his back.

When they reached her apartment, Namshil invited Donghae in for a while.

“You’re not a clean-freak, are you?” Donghae said when he entered noticing Namshil’s apartment a bit cozy. But Namshil just smiled at him and just took what he said as a compliment. She went straight to the kitchen after dropping her bag at the couch to prepare drinks. Meanwhile, Donghae continued to inspect her apartment and got curious with the display table with picture frames on top. He slowly came closer and looked at them one by one. He picked one picture with a man and a woman holding a baby to look at it closely.

“That was taken when I was about a year and a half years old.” Namshil said as she approaches Donghae after putting their drinks on the table.

“Where are they now?” Donghae asked putting the picture back to its place carefully.

“They’re gone. They got killed when I was four. But I could still vividly remember it, everything.”

“So you know that vampires killed them?”

Namshil nodded in respond.

“Do you hate them?

“I used to. But I gave up a few years ago. Hating them won’t do anything anyway. It won’t bring them back into life anymore. Besides, I know that my parents are happy wherever they are right now.”

“Do you hate me?”

Instead of answering, Namshil cupped his face and kissed him passionately. “You’re not the one who killed my parents so don’t ever think that I hate you.” Namshil said when she pulled away.

“But I was there. And I didn’t even manage to save your parents.” Donghae reasoned out. He couldn’t help but to feel guilty. That incident kept haunting him for the past fourteen years. And Namshil could see it through his eyes.

“But you saved me.” Namshil reminded him.

“I’m one of their kind.”

“It doesn’t matter and I don’t care. I love you and that’s the only thing that matters.”

“I love you.” That’s the last thing Donghae said before he leaned forward and kissed Namshil with much more passion than earlier.

- - -

 

Namshil already got used of the pain everytime Donghae would bite her neck. But she never got used of feeling euphoric when he her blood. And sometimes she gets curious if her blood really tastes that good for him.

“My blood, how does it taste?” Namshil asked while Donghae was her neck after he got satisfied. He leaned to the bed’s headboard and looked at Namshil with his red eyes but he looked away right after.

“Please don’t ask that question. It’s embarrassing.” He was about to wipe the smeared blood on his lips when Namshil held his hand and kissed his bloody lips instead.

“Why did you do that?” Donghae asked and was surprised at her action.

“I want to be a vampire.” She straightforwardly said.

“What?”

“Let’s admit it. We both know that I’m a mortal. Tomorrow, next week, month or year I could die. And nothing’s gonna bring me back to life. But you, you’re immortal. You can’t die unless you’re slashed with that purifier. I don’t wanna leave you. I want to stay with you…forever.”

Donghae just looked at her and didn’t say anything. He was actually fighting against his mind about what Namshil said.

“Come closer. It’ll hurt so bear with it for a while.” He finally said. He knows his decision is a bit selfish but he also doesn’t want her to die.

Namshil smiled and did as she was told. “Wait. How are you going to do it?” She asked first.

“Well, I need to stab you with my knife to drain your blood faster and give you some of mine.” Donghae explained.

“Do you really need to stab me?”

“Well, you could still change your mind. It’s okay if you don’t want to-…”

“I was just asking.” Namshil cut him midway. “Do whatever you want. Stab me or anything, its okay. Just turn me into a vampire.”

Donghae chuckled at her reaction. “You’re so demanding.” He commented.

“Well, its not my fault if you couldn’t resist my demands.” Namshil teased and stuck her tongue out cutely. “Oppa, kiss me. At least that could help to ease the pain.”

Donghae kissed her. It’s a slow and wet kiss. He held his knife tightly and stabbed it to Namshil. She winced and groaned at the pain and held at Donghae tighter instead without breaking the kiss. They stayed like that until Namshil’s breathing became heavy. She’s panting not because of the kiss but because of the blood she lost. Not long after, she exhaled for one last time and her head fell back which broke the kiss. She’s completely unconscious but her heart is still beating which means she’s still alive. Donghae then bit his free hand and his own blood. When he thinks his blood is already enough, he went back to kiss Namshil again and let her drink his blood through his mouth. He caressed her cheek while looking at her beautiful face waiting for her to wake up.

Namshil suddenly opened her eyes and it was not the eyes that Donghae used to see. Her eyes were red, just like the color of blood. She already has sharp fangs. And her wounds are slowly healing and fading away. She slowly carried her head to look back at Donghae.

“I could feel your blood running inside me.”

“You’re a vampire now.”

“What’s wrong?” Namshil asked when she noticed his sad look towards her. He doesn’t seem that happy like she does.

“They’ll hunt you just like me.”

Namshil cupped his face before speaking. “You’re not going to fight alone anymore. We’ll do it…together.”

Donghae held her on her nape and kissed her forehead. Namshil swallowed hard feeling the urge for blood. “I could smell your blood.”

“Do you want to try it?”

Namshil shyly leaned forward and his neck and buried her newly born fangs on it. She began his blood and she never imagined it would be this . She withdrew when she’s already satisfied. She wiped her lips with her forehand.

“How does it taste?” Donghae asked noticing her cheeks blushing.

“Please don’t ask that question. It’s embarrassing.” She replied and looked away to hide her burning cheeks.

Donghae smirked and held her chin and kissed her.