You Forgot Something

You Forgot Something

 

“Watch where you’re going, idiot!” Sunny hissed as she bumps her bestfriend, making her drop the box she’s holding. “How can you be so blind?”

“Well excuse me, Miss Lee Soonkyu! I didn’t know you like blaming others for your clumsiness.” He retorted back.

“Whatever. I’m done talking  to you.” She started walking away.

“I’m done talking to you.” He mimicked.

-----

“Yah, what are you doing?” Sunny asked as she sat beside Sungmin.

“Just looking around. You know how badly I want to become...” Typical situation, everytime Sungmin would answer, Sunny will surely interrupt.

“......a Pilot? So that you can fly planes? Have you not given up on that yet?” She wandered her gaze. “Come  on, Sungmin-ssi. Not that I don’t trust you, it’s just that...... I don’t know. It’s impossible.” Then locked eyes with Sungmin.

“Soonkyu-ah, becoming a pilot may be a one in a million chance but it would never mean it’s not possible.” Sunny raised an eyebrow, suggesting she doesn’t understand what Sungmin is trying to point out. “Just think of it this way. During ancient times, people never believed that someone could actually set his foot on the Moon, right? Yeah, it sure seemed impossible. But after trying so hard, the goal that they thought was unreachable, has finally been achieved.”

Sunny sighed. “Okay, Mr. Nerd. Let’s just drop the subject before it creeps me to the bones. Ok?” She teased. Giggles escaped from which sounded music to his ears.

Yes, Sungmin loves her bestfriend. And by that, he doesn’t love her only as bestfriend. It was the kind of love that makes you wanna spend your whole lifetime with someone.

They spent the rest of the day talking to each other, laughing at some random stuffs and sharing the time they have together. How Sungmin wishes that they would stay like this.

But no.

A really big no.

Sunny tends to forget who Sungmin is when she’s around her gal pals. He can’t do anything about it though. Last time he tried, they were on a cold war for a couple of months until he came up to her and apologised.

Sunny is full of pride, cold, nonchalant and a bit, well, mean. She runs nonstop, she couldn’t hide a secret and well, she’s full of herself. Whenever he would ask her questions like “How was your day?”, she would nag him. The Sunny-Lee’s-Negative-Characteristics List could still go on. It may even be longer than Rapunzel’s hair or even longer than the Nile River. But one thing is for sure. Sungmin is hopelessly devoted to her.

It’s now or never.

He’s been thinking about confessing his feelings already. He has even practiced already, a lot of times now. But why can’t he find the right words when she’s around? The things you unpurposely do to me, he thought.

He was feeling pain in his guts. But he managed. He, then, stiffened and his expression became serious.

“Sunny-ah.. er, have you not thought what if we’re not bestfriends?” He started criptically.

“What do you mean?” She asked more intently.

“You know, what if we’re more than bestfriends?” Sungmin gulped, waiting for her response. But he only received series of laughters, and some more mockery.

“Hahahahaha. Sungmin, try it again. You’re so good at this! Hahahaha.”

“Yah, do I look like I’m joking here?” Sungmin was now embarrassed.

“Oh my, this is good. You should totally win a grammy for that! Haha.....” Just as she was laughing, she was stopped by a pair of lips. Sungmin crashed his lips against the hysterical Sunny. He was mad at her, but what the heck. If this was the only way he could do to prove his love for her.

Sungmin, with his eyes closed, cherished every minute of the warmth of her lips. The pair of lips he wanted to kiss for a long time. But he wasn’t receiving any response from her so he decided to break the kiss.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that. So, yeah.” He waited for her to say something. Clearly, her eyes were beginning to water. He decided for himself that she obviously doesn’t feel the same. With one last awkward smile, he began to turn around.

“But we are still friends, right?” he asked still his back on her.

“Idiot! Of course n-not!” She answered shakily, crying already.

He can’t bear the feeling of rejection. More importantly, it kills him to know that their friendship was over all because he was so selfish and stupid.

Or not.

He started to walk away but was suddenly stopped when he felt a pair of small and delicate hands slipped around his waist.

He turned around,

And he was met by a hit on the forehead.

“How dare you confess to me and then walk away like that? You are an idiot Lee Sungmin! You are the most stupid idiot I have ever met. One moment you’re confessing to me but after a couple of minutes you’re gonna leave me without waiting for my reply? You......” She was shut when Sungmin pressed his index finger against her lips.

Sungmin, on the other hand, braced himself for the worst. He gathered up all the courage he has to be rejected, verbally. “So what do you have to say?”

He stared at her, not even blinking, waiting for her to say things like “Duh? Why would I?” But it never came.

Like time stopped. He saw Sunny tiptoe. He felt her arms wrapped around his neck, her hands messed with his hair and most of all, they shared a kiss. But the only difference is, now both their hearts were on it.

She broke the kiss first.

“Yah! Do you have any idea how long I have waited for you to tell me those words?”

“Really?” He felt relieved. Like the sky was carried away from his shoulder.

She just nodded sheepishly.

They were both staring as at the ground. No one spoke.

Awkward.

He broke the deafening silence.

“It’s getting dark. I’ll walk you home now.” He motioned her to move first. But when she was already a step ahead,  “Yah!  I think you forgot something”

“What is it?”

He grabbed her right hand and squeezed it tightly, lowered his head and whispered directly in her ear, “My hand.”

Sunny just chuckled.