Fear

Happy Birthday
Please log in to read the full chapter

She walked into the bedroom with her head down. She seemed timid- I guess she figured I was furious. But then again, who wouldn’t be when their girlfriend doesn’t show up on a date without calling? She had the memory of an elephant, so I know there was something else going on. 

I waited at the restaurant for half an hour. People were staring and blowing up the Internet with news that Jung Yonghwa was stood up by his girlfriend.  It was really embarrassing.
I tried calling but her phone was off. I left many voicemails and countless texts. That seems excessive, but I needed an explanation. She couldn’t just not show up- on my birthday, of all days.

She looked up at me. Her eyes were cloudy, which meant that she was going to break at any minute. I wouldn’t say she was sensitive, but she was always afraid of me when I was angry. And believe me, I can be very scary when I’m angry.

She finally spoke. “You’re mad at me.”

I cocked my head and gave her a wry laugh. “What makes you say that?”

There was confusion in her voice but awareness in her eyes. “Well, I mean… I didn’t meet you earlier. And it’s your birthday.”

At least she could admit it.

“And I didn’t call.”

Now she was just asking to be punished.

“Oh, right. It’s okay if you forgot.”

She slightly smiled in relief.

“But I know you didn’t.”

The corners of her lips descended again. 

“Well, I meant to call…”

“But?”

She lowered her gaze. 

“Where were you?” I asked. “You know that no matter which day of the week it lands on, we always meet on the night of June 22- even if we spent the morning apart.” However, I knew where she was. I just wanted to test her. Maybe I would be generous if she would agree to be honest. And also explain what she was doing with my bassist.

She bit her lip in fear. I never did enjoy it when she did that. Even though I’m sure she was unaware everytime she did this, it always drove me up the wall. But it wasn’t because it annoyed me. It was because she made me wish those were my teeth on her lips. No matter how mad I was, that harmless gesture never failed to make me want to just forget everything and make up with her- in details too graphic for me to explain. I guess you could say it was my weakness.

“I’m sorry,” she exhaled. “I was at the movies.”

Please log in to read the full chapter