Chapter 9: A Light in the Dark

The Dancing Partner

 

Young Saeng let out a heavy sigh. He put down a 20 Lbs dumbbell down and took a small towel besides him and started dabbing his sweaty forehead. He glanced at the wall clock above his head. 5 minutes to 10pm. He scanned the fully equipped DSP gym and realized that he was alone. Leader Hyun Joong must have left without him noticing.

He remembered earlier when Hyun Joong seemed stunned when he agreed to go to the gym with him.  Why? Because everybody knows Young Saeng hated the gym. He hated the fact that his muscles tense and hurt after every workout session. He preferred running in the park, but with fans and reporters tailing his every move now he can no longer do it, can’t him?

“Are you sick somewhere Young Saeng –ah? I thought you hated the gym.” Hyun Joong jokingly asked earlier when they were both running on the treadmill.  Little did the members know Young Saeng only goes to the gym when something is bothering him. And yes, something was bothering him right now, at this moment.

“Stubborn Hyerin-ssi, let me take you home.”  Young Saeng recollected the scene earlier on the evening, after they’ve done practicing. He couldn’t help but to overhear Hyung Jun and Hyerin’s conversation.

No, sunbae-nim. I can still go back on my own. It’s not like I can no longer walk.” Hyerin argued, but Young Saeng swore he saw Hyerin blushed.

“See, see. You’re doing it. You’re doing it again. Being stubborn! Stubborn Hyerin-ssi, just come with meee...” And Hyung Jun took Hyerin by her arm and practically dragged her out of the practice room.

Young Saeng shook his head and chugged his water bottle down. He didn’t know why he was feeling this way. He hated the fact that he seemed to cannot shake this weary feeling away. He never has felt this way to anyone before, let alone a girl. He felt hopeless, and his chest hurt. His heart hurt.

“Hyerin...” He whispered, to nobody but himself. He once again let out a heavy sigh, and lazily lumbered to the shower room. What Is Love by EXO-K was blasting on the gym’s speakers.

***

Young Saeng left the gym after he was done showering. He looked to his left and right, all the staffs and his label mates seemed to headed home already. ‘It’s almost 11, no wonder.’ Young Saeng thought to himself. He was about to get in the elevator when he noticed that the practice room was still brightly lit.

“Hello...?” He pushed the door and called out softly. Nobody was in. He sighed and walked in. The last member who left must have forgotten to turn off the lamps. Even the air-cond and the radio were on too. Their song 4 Chance was playing softly on the background.

Young Saeng complained to himself and was about to turn off the air-cond when he heard a steady breathing. He froze and repeated his hello again. No reply. He skimmed through the room again. Yes, he was not imagining things. He still can hear the breathing. Wait.. it was no breathing. More like soft snoring? He guessed. He fixated his eyes on the couch at the corner back of the practice room. His guess was right. Someone was sleeping on the couch, safe and soundly. He tiptoed his way to the couch and his face softened when he saw the mysterious sleeping beauty.

***

“Miyoung –ah.. Mind turn on the air-cond? I’m sweating hereee..” Hyerin muttered half-consciously with her eyes closed. She tossed the cloth that blanketed her.

“Miyoung... Miyoung –ah...” Hyerin tried to shake the sleeping Miyoung besides her but she only reached out to nothing but emptiness. Eyes still closing, Hyerin turned around to the other cheek. She stopped moving when she realized that she was not on her bed at home. She opened her eyes slowly, expecting to find the familiar gigantic SS501 poster that Miyoung had pasted on their bedroom wall, but all she can see now is.. well, nothing. Because it was pitch black. Horrified, she sat up straight.

“Miyoung...” She called out again, nervously. Sense started to get inside of Hyerin’s head as she finally remembered that she never went home. She was still on the old couch in DSP practice room that is now pitched black. Oh my god, she whispered to herself, trying to make out of anything in the dark.

She got up from the couch, started to roam and trying to get on hold of anything on her way to the lamp switches. Her left swollen foot was still stinging in pain. But after three wobbly steps, she stumbled onto somewhat a large soft ‘log’ lying on the floor.

“Ouch...” she yelped in pain. Not again, she thought as this was the second time she tripped on the very same floor. The gravity must have loved me that much, she whined.

As she tried to get up, she heard a painful groan. Alarmed, she stood up straight and bellowed “W-who’s there?”

“H-hey. Hey, it’s me.” A voice croaked back at her. The voice was just right in front of her. Hyerin stepped back a few.

“Why is it so dark?” There was confusion in the voice’s tone and the voice’s owner seemed trying to make out his way in the dark.

“S-stand back!” Hyerin warned. She hastily stepped back until her back was on the wall and clumsily the lamps. The practice room now was brightly lit.

“Young Saeng sunbae-nim??!”

“Hi...”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________