Ch. 3: Fitting-in and Runaways

Quiet Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

**

Chaeyoon had been adjusting to her expanding social group. The more the merrier, they said. Well, it was partly true. Deep down, she missed ther quality time at school, but figuring that she owned that alone space at home since she's an only child, it was okay.

She already met the youngest of the group, which resulting in weird responses from her new school friends (mostly from her parents, but yeah that was pretty much expected, her meeting new people? Wow). The boy, Sungjong had taken a liking on Chaeyoon, which suprised others because the younger is known for being reserved and his infamous rest- face syndrome was no joke.

Getting the opposite reaction, everyone was gasping, jaws hanging from the behaviour of Sungjong being bubbly at the first encounter. Chaeyoon was utterly confused, is her making-friend thing really that awful? Hyemi had to step in, explaining the whole situation to her.

 

 

Recess wasn't the same anymore, after a certain Ahn Chaeyoon joined their table. Hyemi, that idiot! Everyone seemed to enjoy her company, giving full attention to the closed behaviour of hers. Myungsoo, however didn't. Not even one bit.

Chaeyoon this, Chaeyoon that. It irked him a lot but commenting on it would make everything awkward. Some of them shared classes with him. He loves his siblings-like friends, including that bratty Hyemi. The changes. It was driving him up to the walls. The dynamics of the circle had received slight alterations and he hated that.

Leaving the cafeteria by himself, he took familiar route, where no one bothered to go anymore. After the school got a new building before he became a high-school student, the south wing was basically abandoned. And that's exactly where he was heading.

For an abandoned structure, the rooftop didn't look like one. Clean. One of the reason he kept coming back. He even had a stash of his belongings somewhere in one of those air-ventilation boxes. There were four big white metal boxes attached to the roof, matched with its spacey compund.

If only he could remember where. Each time he visited, he placed them in different places, for his own amusement.

"Ah there it is". A worn-out sketchbook with a pencil tucked in the ringed binder, still in good condition.

The last time he came here, he was covered in cuts and bruises. There were fading of blood stains on the cover, probably prints of his wounded hand. His finger unconsciously traced the dark spots, slightly wincing at the memory.

Hyemi and Sungjong knew, yet they never told anyone, for his sake. A secret only they shared.

 

 

A place where his troubles and worries disappear, almost like magic, the rooftop had been Myungsoo's personal spot ever since he discovered it. Apart form that. sketching helped him to get better, a stress-reliever. With the aid of the greenery scenery of the mountains behind the school, he started moving his pencil onto the blank paper.

He finished to a potrait of a girl, from memory. A little girl, about five years old, in her amber-coloured uniform, running past him as he felt his sleeves being tugged. The girl. She was pulling him along. "Come on, we're gonna be late!" In her cheery tone, she flashed the widest smile she could muster, matching his pace with hers.

As the flashback ended, he couldn't help to chuckle. Swiftly sweeping his too-long bangs past his forehead, he leaned his back to the white box, not caring about the peeling paint dusting his uniform.

"It all made sense now. You're the Ahn Chaeyoon"

 

 

"Guys! I'm kidnapping Chaeyoon now!" Hyemi announced.

The boys had been in a conversation with Chaeyoon, something about infinites and rainbows. It was weird. Weird is normal, in their context. 

"Technically, it's not kidnapping if you're telling the whole world about it" Woohyun deadpanned.

"Besides," Sungyeol pulled Chaeyoon into a side-hug, whining, "lunch isn't over yet"

Faint blushes formed on her cheeks, prominent, thanks to her pale complexion. Skinship was not Chaeyoon's forte. She squirmed to get away, only to receive firmer hold from the latter.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter