Well This Was Unexpected

Because The Trays Fell

*Kyuhyun’s POV*

“Purple line, let me set up my world! Dare mo aruita koto nai this way, Kibou idaite mirai wo mitsume tsuzuketeiru”

I sighed and took another bite of the cold piece of pizza sitting on my lunch tray while my music blasted through my ears. My eyes wandered over the lunch room, taking in the sights of everyday high school life. The popular girls were gossiping about the latest trends and boys and whatnot. The jocks were mixing up strange concoctions on their lunch trays and goofing around. The music nerds were showing each other sheet music and comparing who could play what song better. Our school had every social class a normal high school should have, except there was one person who didn’t fit into anything; that was me.

Most people would consider me a nerd, but I wasn’t super smart or anything. I worked hard and studied all the time for this reason, so that’s probably why people assumed I’d be top in our class. I definitely wasn’t a popular, but I most certainly was not a scum bag. To be honest I didn’t really care what people thought of me. I was just existing in this terrible school. As soon as I got my diploma I’d be out of here and ready to take on the world.

“Kinou yori mo kachiaru ima e Shinka wo togeru yokan image e .. oh-oh”

I wish I could be as cool as them. I thought to myself at the sound of the amazing group. Being a performer had always been my dream, but I was a sophomore in high school, so if I didn’t get accepted soon I never would. My chances were becoming narrower with every breath I took.

My eyes glanced up at the clock; ten minutes left. I casually got up to dump my tray, keeping my iPod cranking; the music nourishing me more conveniently than any school lunch could. I dumped my half eaten lunch into the garbage and set my tray on the haphazard pile waiting to be washed. Just as I turned to walk away a terrible crashing sound made me jump, and I turned back to see the trays had fallen all over the floor.

I ripped out my earphones only to be greeted by the cafeteria’s laughter. My cheeks were turning redder by the second as my classmates’ eyes penetrated through me, burning me into a pile of ash. I only wished that was the case because then I could get swept away, out of my misery. Instead, I turned around and began to pick up the dirty trays, trying not to gag at the remnants of the jocks’ mixtures.

Everyone in the cafeteria began clapping obnoxiously and yelling out embarrassing things to me while I tried to restack the trays. Suddenly I was mobbed by a flood of high heels and skirts as the popular girls dumped their trays and threw them onto the pile, causing all my work to reverse as the pile fell to the floor once again. More laughter erupted and I felt like I was dying.

I bent down to pick up the trays once again, and was greeted by another pair of heels. However, this pair stopped next to me and was soon joined by a skirt, a waist, and a face. I recognized the girl immediately. Her name was Mina and she was in my biology class. I’d always found her attractive so it disappointed me that she hung out with the snotty bunch of girls she called “friends.”

“Sorry about them,” she apologized as she collected a stack of trays in her hands. “They can be really inconsiderate.”

“Oh, i- it’s fine.” I mentally slapped myself for being so uneasy.

“My name’s Mina.”

“I’m Kyuhyun,” I answered shyly as I set the last few trays on our new, more stable pile. “I um-,”

“Aigoo, you got junk on your clothes!”

I looked down to see a nice smear of jock sludge on my shirt. Lovely.

“Come on,” she took my hand and pulled me out of the cafeteria, leaving the onlookers staring after us in shock.

I am sooo dead.

---------------------- 

“Ugh, this just does not want to come out,” I sighed as I scrubbed my shirt with the soapy cloth. We were in the school’s laundry room which was used for jersey’s, sports equipment, and such things. The bell had already rung for the next period, so there was no use rushing; we were already late.

“Here, let me try,” Mina held out her hand for the cloth.

“But, um…”

“Just give it to me,” she rolled her eyes and took the rag from me. My eyes widened as she knelt down and slipped one hand between my t-shirt and my bare stomach. She then put the cloth against the outside of my shirt and began to scrub.

“What do they even put in those concoctions?” she questioned, making a weird face as she scrubbed even harder.

I let out a chuckle at how silly yet cute she looked; her bangs falling in her face and her teeth gently biting down on her bottom lip in frustration.

“What’s so funny?” she glanced up at me. “I didn’t think you were that erted.”

“Omo, annio! I wasn’t thinking anything like that-,”

“I’m just kidding silly,” she laughed. “You better not be thinking about anything like that or I’ll send my boyfriend after you!”

My heart sank and I couldn’t stop myself from asking, “Boyfriend?”

“Another joke. I don’t have time for a boyfriend. 

“Because you’re always hanging out with your friends?” I sighed 

“Oh heck no! I’m too busy studying!”

“Really? I thought you were a partier.”

“Hardly. I usually spend my weekends studying and… writing.”

“Writing?” I looked at her in confusion.

“Yeah I write… aish never mind. Why am I even telling you this?” She stood up and handed me the cloth. “The spot is out. I’ve gotta go back to class.”

“Wait,” I grabbed her arm to stopped her and she faced me in surprise (with a tinge of reluctance).

“What do you want? I’m going to miss Global!”

“What do you write about?”

“Aigoo, fine! You really want to know? I write fan fictions about Kpop idols. Yes, I’m one of those people. Go ahead and laugh.”

“Why would I laugh at you? How could I laugh at you?! It’s amazing that you write stories like that. I never could!”

She eyed me suspiciously, “You’re being serious, aren’t you.”

“Dead serious! And since you told me a secret, I’ll tell you one. My dream is to become a performer in a group like the ones you write about.” I held my breath, waiting for her reaction.

“Doesn’t everyone?” she laughed. “No, a real secret would be something embarrassing that you don’t want to tell. Sing for me.”

“What?!” I looked at her in shock.

“You heard me.” She hopped up on the counter and sat looking at me with expectant eyes. “Sing.”

“Um, okay…” I took a deep breath. This really was embarrassing.

I began to sing Brown Eyed Soul’s “Nothing Better”. After a little while I opened my eyes that I just realized had been shut. A smile was spread across her face, but I wasn’t sure if it was of humor or of enjoyment. I stopped after doing the first falsetto part, feeling that she was going to burst into laughter at any second.

“Just laugh already will you? I know I’m no good!”

“You’re right, you’re not good.”

I turned away angrily and pouted. Normally I wouldn’t expose this side of myself in front of a girl, but I was too upset to care.

“It was great.” Suddenly she was standing in front of me smiling. “In fact it was beautiful.”

She giggled at the look on my face as she slipped her hand into mine. “Can you sing it to me? Not for me, but to me?”

“I, uh, I don’t think we should be doing this,” I looked away awkwardly, unable to believe what was happening.

“Why not?” She rocked back on her heels, pulling on my arm. “You don’t want to sing to me?”

Aigoo she does such good puppy eyes. Wae? Wae?!

“Annio, it’s nothing personal. It’s just… I’ve never sung for anybody.”

“Then I’ll be your first,” she smiled. “Now sing.”

I gulped, closed my eyes and opened my mouth to pick back up where I had stopped. After a second or two I felt her fingers by my eyes, attempting to open them.

“What are you doing?”

“You can’t sing to me if you’re not looking at me!” she protested.

“Aigoo; okay here it goes…” I sang again, this time staring directly into her eyes. I was so nervous that I didn’t dare to blink. Her hand squeezed mine gently as if telling me to relax. My muscles became noticeably less tense and I let my eyes wander down to her beautiful smile. She took a step closer to me and I tensed up again, my voice fading away with my confidence.

“W- w- what-,”

“Can I be your first kiss to?” she whispered, our faces now only inches apart.

“But how… You’re a popular and I’m- I don’t even know what I am!”

“You’re real,” she smiled, tracing over my lips with her fingertips. “I can see it.”

“But we barely even know each other.” My eyes softened at her touch. I’d never felt this way before, but I knew I liked it.

“So what? Life is full of unexpected chances. You’ve just got to take them as they come and hope for the best.”

“You’re so different from any other popular girl I’ve met,” I whispered, letting my inexperienced lips inch closer to hers.

“I’m just a regular girl. Beneath all of these fancy clothes and makeup it’s just simple little me. And right now simple little me is sure liking simple little you.”

My eyes closed and I waited to feel her lips on mine. I was surprised when all I felt was her hot breath as she spoke. “You’re the man babo. Kiss me.”

With that I took a deep breath and pressed my lips to hers, officially giving this girl my first kiss. I was about to pull away, but her arms slipped around my neck and her lips began to move. My arms, feeling limp and helpless, s themselves around her waist, pulling her body to mine.

She felt fragile in my arms, but her lips said otherwise. They fiercely attacked mine which were soon greeted by her tongue. Unsure of what to do I opened my mouth slightly and her tongue immediately slipped inside, exploring every inch of its new territory. I found my tongue move against hers and, liking the feel, began to fight it with mine. It was a short battle however because we soon ran out of oxygen and broke apart gasping.

I caught my breath and began to speak “That was-,”

“Oh we’re not done yet.” She grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled my lips to hers again. We started right back up where we started, except we switched roles; my tongue exploring . It was weird to think that my tongue was inside this girl. I mean, sure it was only (I wasn’t planning on going any farther than that for a long time), but still, it was weird to wrap my mind around, seeing as all of this was brand new to me.

Suddenly the sound of the door handle rattling came from around the corner of the laundry room. We tore away from each other immediately and I stared into her wide eyes with my own. In a split second we were moving.

“Hide!”

 

 

Aigoo, Kyuhyun in glasses..... I just can't handle..... >.< <3