One

Tenderfoot

“Name,” the man sitting in the middle of a man and woman said to me.

“Park Jung-Hwa,” I managed to tell him doing my best not to fidget.

“What is your age Mr Park?”

“Twenty two,” I had yet to celebrate being another year old.

“Alright Mr Park, now can I ask what you are going to show us today?”


“Sir, I’m going to sing.”

“Alright, whenever you’re ready.” I gestured to the assistant to the CD player to press the button. I took a deep breath, spreading my legs slightly apart to get into the right position. After a few bars of just instrumental strings I opened my mouth to sing.

 

***


When I was done I stood and waited for a response. They were silent. To me I didn’t know if this was a bad or good thing. I’d heard different rumours about audition reactions and so far I was the only person I knew that was auditioning for this company. I figured that fifth time lucky wouldn’t be bad odds. 

 

“So Mr Park,” the other man who was on the edge of the table began, “aside from singing… You don’t dance or act?” I had been dreading this question, I shook my head.

“No sir.”

“Hmm, that’s a shame,” the one who’d spoken the most said to me and then turning to the other two. They murmured among themselves, keeping me on the tip of my toes.
“Look Mr Park,” here it came. “You have a very unique voice and also a lot of control and power to it, but unfortunately you aren’t what we’re—“

“—Wait a minute.” The female panellist raised her arm up stopping him. “What about the project?”

“Are you talking about ‘The Project’?” She agreed.

 

“Yes, while this isn’t what we need him for don’t you think he would be perfect?”

“I don’t know,” this panellist seemed sceptical as he pushed the glasses up his nose. “He wanted someone that could sing and dance.”

“But couldn’t he teach him?” The other two thought over what she said and then slowly but surely they nodded.

“Alright, he’ll get a trial. One month and then he can decide if this person is what he’s looking for.”

“Very well,” the head of the judging table gestured for me to come over. “Congratulations, you’ve been chosen for ‘The Protégé.”


“Thank you sir,” I had no idea what was going on.

***

The next day I was to arrive at the building and go to a board room. I didn’t know why I was there. I just sat trying not to be nervous. I’d been told to wear neat clean clothes. So for me that was dark jeans, grey sneakers, black shirt and a dark blue denim jacket. I pushed the fringe off my forehead.

 

I started to rise as I heard men talking from nearby. I saw the shadows as three men walked down the hall towards when I was. I turned back in my seat as they came to the door and it opened.

 

“Park Jung-Hwa?” My heart started to race, my mind whirling. I only heard the voice but it was so familiar I realised that it had to be a dream. The speaker came into view. I realised who it was. He was a senior in singing, a man who despite his strong physical build had a sweet, gentle voice.


“Hello,” I managed to bow to him as low as I could.


“So, you’re the one with the unique voice,” he said. “I watched the tape.” I was starting to burst with pride. “However, there are a few things I noticed.” This was the bucket of cold water. “Your stance was too rigid, you didn’t move enough. Second, learn to breathe more through your stomach.”

“Y-yes sir,” I nodded fast.

 

“Now I’m aware that you aren’t able to dance is that right?” I couldn’t answer.


“Let’s go, I booked a training room so the instructor can show you some things.”

“Wait, Kim Jongkook-sshi,” I called after him but he wasn’t listening.

 

***

“Jung-hwa-ah I want you to meet your choreographer. He’s going to be monitoring you for the next month as you prepare for your ‘pre-debut’ performance.”

“Hello,” I forced myself to bow to him.


“Nice to meet you,” he said. “Now how about we start by warming up?”

“Umm,” I glanced at my foot.

 

“What’s the matter?” The choreographer challenged. “Are you afraid of dancing?” My mouth was frozen. Both Jongkook and the choreographer were waiting for a response.


“I….I can’t.”

********************************************************************************
So this was an idea I got based off an idea that my friend wrote in a fanfic (please don't think I'm plagarising). It was meant to be a one-shot but I felt it was more suited in a two-shot so here goes nothing.