Chapter One

Can't Stop

Kevin Woo rarely gets nervous but he couldn't help but fidget in his seat as he waited for the other cast members to show up at the very first meeting in the upcoming romantic-comedy "The Geek Next Door", where he was starring as the lead male.  He was specifically requested by the casting director and he didn't know whether to be grateful or hurt.  Looking down at his attire, he didn't think he looked too geeky.  Sensing the awkward atmosphere, Kevin shot the the director, producer, and lead writer a charming smile.  The four were currently the only people in the silent room, which made Kevin all the more nervous.  He even had to loosen the collar of his shirt just so he could breathe easier.  

A few days ago when the president of NH Media had called Kevin into his office, the last thing he was thinking about was that he was being offered a role in a drama.  Initially he had refused since he wasn't trained to act like some other singing idols nor had he ever acted such a large role.  True he was one of the lead males in a musical but that was because his role wasn't too far from comfort and he had always been confident about his singing.  Then there was the the small cameos he did for "The Strongest Kpop Survival" but he had his other members with him so he hadn't been too worried.  Not only is he playing the lead role but he was alone for the first time and he didn't know how he would do on his own.

Before he could worry his mind even more the door of the meeting room slammed open and he was immediately on his feet, bowing repeatedly while greetings and pleasantries flowed swiftly out of his mouth.  "Kevin-oppa?"

Kevin froze mid-bow as he slowly registered the voice.  He straightened, his eyes resting on a familar figure.  "IU-ah?" He exclaimed just as surprised and shocked as Korea's Little Sister was.

"You'll be in this drama too?" IU asked, the first of the two to recover from their shock.

"Ah yes," Kevin coughed into his hand to recompose himself. "I am."

IU smiled brightly before bowing respectfully.  "I will work hard so let's do a good job oppa."

Kevin returned the bow rather awkwardly.  "Yes of course." He answered before sinking back down in his seat, stealthily wiping the sweat from his hands against his pant legs.

Shortly after IU's arrival the other cast members began to enter until only one seat was left empty and each time another entered, Kevin's heart began to race a little more.  As well-known actors and actresses began to make their entrances, Kevin began to feel more out of place and uncomfortable.  He was all for trying new things but the pressure of the success of the drama that laid on his shoulders was a bit much.  Who knew that he would land the lead role on his very first acting debut?  He sure didn't and he was just seconds away from passing out from anxiety and filming hasn't even started yet.  How did Dongho ever do this?  Not only was he younger but he didn't have his hyungs with him most of the time.

The director let out a sigh as he glanced down at his watch for the umpteenth time.  Whoever they were waiting upon was now fifteen minutes late.  "How can the star of the show be late?  And for the first meeting no doubt?"

IU who was sitting diagonally in front of Kevin smiled assuringly at the director.  "She had a broadcast to attend before this.  She'll be here soon."

If there was anyone in the whole world who could calm a raging bull down, it would be IU.  The director let out another sigh, though this time it was much softer and less angry.  On the other hand, Kevin had his head cocked to the side as a confused expression began to take over.  Since Kevin had been cast just a few days ago, he hadn't been cleared with much details about the drama and that included the other cast members.  He only just knew the gist of the drama after quickly skimming through the first draft of his script in between practice.  Before he could fantasize a list of potential female co-stars the door opened and a familiar figure walked in.  "I'm sorry for being late.  I will try my best to be on time."

Had Kevin not been sitting down when the girl burst in, he would've fallen to the floor in disbelief.  Shocked for the second time that day, and it wasn't even noon yet, he sat frozen to his seat with his mouth slightly ajar. 

"Jiyeon-ah?  Wait, didn't the director say we were waiting for the other lead?" He thought to himself, as his brain slowly began to register the situation. "Park Jiyeon...lead female...me...lead male..."  He may have skimmed through the script but he read enough to know how the two leads were going to end up.  

Still dazed, Kevin watched Jiyeon take her seat beside IU as the two exchanges pleasantries.  It was all slowly coming together now.  

"I will like to introduce you to our cast and crew now that everyone is here." The producer announced.  "Please work hard to make this a number one show."

Kevin numbly got to his feet and bowed to everyone in the room.  During the bow his eyes met Jiyeon's who's eyes also widened in surprise as she finally took notice of him.  If there was one thing Kevin was sure of, it was that this was going to get interesting.

 

~~~

Author's Note:

So I'm sure you can guess that I am quite new to this.  I am only just getting used to the layout of this website so please bear with me as I have yet to learn the workings but I will work hard to learn.  To me, this is quite a short chapter but I just wanted to get the ball rolling.  My other chapters will be much longer and I hope to be able to establish a decent plot.  Thank you for your time and understanding, I hope to update as soon as possible.