What is Love?

The Last Song

"What is love to you, Lee Junho?" Soeun blurted out the random question that suddenly popped into her mind. 

The morning light creeped into the room through the tiny cracks in the curtains, radiating small yellowish warm spots all over the carpets, floorboards and now-crumpled bed sheets. The two huddled under Junho's duvet (nose to nose, knee to knee and feet tangled in each others’) silently, gathering each others' warmth. Junho flinched at the random question, then continued threading his fingers through Soeun's delicately scented hair. It was floral, sweet, and Junho liked it. 

"I don't know." he shrugged, his gaze turning to the white sheets of his down-filled blankets. His deep voice made Soeun's toes tingle. This is the first time she's slept with a guy, after all. "Love is..." the balminess of his breath and a sudden slight pressure on her forehead slightly startled Soeun. Her cheeks turned it's (now) trademark pink. Junho grinned, amused at how cutely she reacts to such gestures. Yet, her fingers still remained their position against his exposed chest.

"A kiss on the forehead and you expect me to understand what love is to you? Am I really that easy to you?" she mumbled under her breath. 

"I heard that." Junho whispered. "What is love to you then, Kim Soeun... ssi?" he asked as he stared straight into her doe-like eyes. Soeun laughed. 

"I....... don't know either. And.." she kept quiet. Life may have other plans for her. She knows that too well. She knew, that falling in love with Junho seemed like the right thing. But.. what if it doesn't work out like it's supposed to be? she shuddered, closing her eyes and inhaled Junho's scent (a concoction of musky cologne mixed with her delicate floral) deeply. If anything, she wanted to remember that scent forever. Both of them did nothing for several minutes, just staying under the covers until Junho turned to face Soeun, and leaned in for a kiss.

"Time for breakfast." he mischievously smiled. "Or do you want to just stay here all day?" Soeun hit him with a pillow. "Yah.." 

"What? I'm just saying it's not a problem for me." he smiled again and winked. Soeun stuck her tongue out before getting out of bed, nervously trying to cover her body with his sheets. Her cheeks remained that rosy pink stain, and Junho fought the urge to kiss her again. After settling herself, she scurried quickly to the bathroom. Junho stood up and trailed her from behind.

"Wouldn't it be more fun if we went in together?" Junho cheekily asked as he leaned over her with one hand on the doorframe above her head. "I get a little paranoid about how my morning-afters work." He jerked his eyebrows up and down. Soeun's brows furrowed, throwing him a dirty look before slamming the door shut then locking it. "Are you my husband? Never!" Junho burst into fits of laughter. 

"When are you going to stop being moody?" he teased over the rushing sound of the bathroom's shower.

"I heard that! I'm not amused, Lee Junho!" she yelled in annoyance. No reply. Soeun suddenly felt a wave of guilt wash over her. She felt slighly horrible at how immature and rude she is towards Junho. After wallowing her head in thoughts and Junho's soap and shampoo, Soeun finally stepped out of the bathroom fully clothed. 

"I thought we were having breakfast together? Is that it? One night together and you leave me, Lee Junho just like that?" Junho asked as he saw Soeun pick up her purse and was already making her way towards the exit.

Soeun smiled apologetically, letting Junho's fingers run down her arm in light . "Stop it, you're making me sound like a e. I have work, remember?" she said softly with a tone of regret in her voice. Not because she slept with Junho, but because she carelessly forgot that she still has work to attend to.

"I'm this resort's heir, remember?" Junho copied her intonation and gazed at her hopefully, stretching his palm out. His lips formed a victorious curve when Soeun put her hand into his.

"Arasso." and stop giving me those y, killer looks.

-------

"Omma, what does 'take full responsibility' mean?" Soeun asked as she on her second piece of strawberry candy. The determination of the string of words she heard from Nuneo earlier kept echoing inside her tiny head. "What did Nuneo mean by that, Omma?" her curious thoughts kept on. Minsook did not know how to put her answer into something more understandable.

"It's not that I don't want to tell you, Soeunnie sweetie. You'll understand better when you're older, okay?" Minsook's motherly gaze did not convince the little girl enough. Soeun stopped her candy and crossed her arms. Minsook shook her head. 

"Well, in our tradition.." she started. Soeun's round eyes began to lit up. "To take full responsibility is to..." she paused for the right words,".. get married. With your soulmate. To be with the woman you love, taking care of her and spend all the time you have with her till death does you apart." 

"Like you and Appa?" Minsook nodded. "Like me and Appa." 

"But Omma... does everyone die together? Do married people -- soulmates die together?" Ah, such an innocent child. Yet to know what lies beneath and beyond. But Soeun will someday learn. "They don't necessarily, sweetie." Soeun suddenly teared up a little. "I really like being friends with Nuneo.. I want to stay with him till... we  die together." her little voice trembled. Minsook kissed her daughter and smiled at how funny those words came out from the mouth of such a young child, but she understood what the girl meant. Soeun just cared too much about that one friend of hers.

"Soeun-ah.. don't worry too much and just go to sleep, okay?" Minsook her hair. Soeun nodded slowly. "Nuneo promised to marry me, didn't he?" she gurgled. "Omma..."

"....I want to be with Nuneo forever.. as soulmates."