Smashed

Crash

You walk into the living room and trip over a pesky shoe left behind by your messy boyfriend. Suddenly, you bump into something and hear a crash. It was loud, and it was scary. You abruptly turn around to see it lying on the floor, broken into pieces. You tremble as you crouch down and pick up a shard.

"Oh no," you whisper.

You just broke his favorite guitar.

--

He won't be home for another three hours, which seemed like both an eternity and like it could creep up any minute. It seemed logical to buy him a new one, but your wallet disagreed. Unaware of what to do, you remain motionless.

You have 180 minutes to come up with a plan.

You consider cleaning it up, but you're too apprehensive. It was already broken, yet you were still afraid to touch anything. So instead, you just stare at it.

He's gonna kill me.

You whip out your phone from your back pocket and scroll through your contact list in desperation. You have no idea who to call- but it certainly isn't going to be him. Thumbing though the screen, you finally reach a friendly name and hit dial.

*Calling: Kang Minhyuk.*

*Ring.*

*Ring.*

--

"Hello?" a playful voice replies.

"H-hi, Minhyuk."

"Ah, noona! What a nice surprise! Do you want to talk to Jonghyun hyung?"

"NO!" you squeak.

"No?"

"I mean, no," you calmly repeat. "No, that's fine. I actually wanted to speak to you."

"Oh?"

"Yes. Minhyuk, I--" you hesitate. "I did something bad. Really bad. And I don't know what how to fix it." You feel a lump forming in your throat and try to swallow with no fruition.

"What's the matter?"

You start to shake as you try to subdue your tears. "I need help."

"What happened?!" he asks, concern evident in his voice. His consideration makes you want to cry even more. So you do.

"I don't want him getting mad at me," you say as tears race down your cheeks. "He'll never forgive me."

"Noona, what's wrong?! Please tell me!"

You look down again and see the guitar, shattered and destroyed. 

"I... I broke it."

"Broke... what?"

"IT."

He immediately knew what you were talking about. "P... R... S...?" he slowly asks in slight Engrish.

"Yes," you whisper. "Minhyuk, what should I do?"

"Okay, calm down, noona. Take a deep breath." The drummer breathes in and out in attempt to soothe you, but it only made you more nervous.

"MINHYUK. I AM FREAKING. THE HELL. OUT. DEEP BREATHS WILL NOT FIX THIS MESS!" you shriek.

You instantaneously feel remorse as you hear him gasp.

"Oh my god. I'm so sorry, sweetheart. I didn't mean to yell at you. I'm just so lost. I don't know what to do."

"It's okay, noona. It was an accident, I'm sure he'll understand!" The innocent tone in his voice made it seem reassuring, yet you couldn't help but think differently. Jonghyun loved this guitar more than anything. You were even convinced that he loved it more than he loved you.

"Are you gonna tell him?" you timidly ask.

"No. Unless you want me to. Because I will if you say yes. I don't mind having hyung yell at me. Maybe it would even drain him so he won't take it out on you!"

His gesture was considerate and you liked the idea, but you just couldn't let him do that to himself.

"Minhyuk, that's very sweet. But I actually just wanted to make sure you don't tell him. I know he'll blow up once he hears, and I don't want you to suffer for my mistake."

"You sure? Really, I don't mind! Just as long as he doesn't yell at you."

You let out another sob at his thoughtfulness.

"Aw, noona. Don't cry," he coaxes. "Please don't cry. It will all be oka- oh! There he is. I see him. I'll tell him for you."

"NO! Minhyuk, let me handle this."

You now regret calling him. All you wanted was advice and someone to talk to, but Minhyuk always liked to go one step ahead. He looked out for you like an older brother, despite being a year younger than you. 

"Don't tell Jungshin or Yonghwa either," you request. "Jungshin might try to buy a replacement, and Yong's big- mouth would just ruin everything."

Jonghyun suddenly speaks. "Who is that?" you hear on the other line.

"Oh, it's noona," Minhyuk automatically answers.

"Minhyuk!" you squeal in panic.

"Your noona?" Jonghyun asks, referring to Minhyuk's sister.

"Mm," is all Minhyuk says, trying not to fib.

Thank God Minhyuk has an older sister, you think.

Your confidante sighs in relief, meaning that your boyfriend took that as a yes.

"I'm so sorry I made you lie to him."

"It's not lying. He made an assumption and I didn't correct him," he cheers. "Plus, you are my noona." Minhyuk logic FTW.

You smile at his declaration, although you have an idea he's not joking. "Thank you for listening and offering to tell him. I guess there's really nothing left to do but wait and just deal with whatever's coming my way," you sigh in defeat.

"It'll be okay, noona! And if he gets mad just remember that accidents will happen, but he will love you no matter what."

That statement made you feel warm inside.

"How come I'm not dating you?" you whimsically joke.

"Because I'm too tall for you," he replies in an equally playful tone.

"Thank you, Minhyuk," you laugh. "I love you."

"I love you more, noona! Hwaiting!"