Reunion

With All My Heart

“Don’t forget that we have to pick up appa and omma tonight.” I reminded him when he pulled over his car at my office.

“What time do we have to get there?”

“Their plane will be landing at 8.20.”

“Okay. I’ll call you when I drove from my office."

Today my parents are back from their honeymoon so Jae Joong and I are gonna picked them up at the airport. It's already 7.30 when he finally gave me a call. It took more than an hour to the airport so I'm sure we're gonna late. I hop on to his car and he immediately drove in full speed. I never saw him driving like this, sneaking between cars in high speed so I kinda scared.

“Jae Joong ssi, can you please slow down?” I talked to him with my hand grip the door handle and the other one at the dashboard.

“Mian…but we're late and it’s because of my meeting.”

“But it doesn’t mean that you have to speed up. I’m not ready to die right now.”

He laughed.

Arrived at Incheon airport, he pulled over the car near the valet service and gave the key to the driver then run through the front door. I followed him from behind but since the airport was crowded tonight, I lost him. My eyes scanning the room, looking for him but there are too much people here so I keep on walking without knowing if I walked to the right direction. Suddenly out of nowhere, he showed up in front of me and grabbed my hand. After ten minutes searching, we found them sitting at the café. He still held my hand when we approached their table. I immediately pulled my hand, maybe I was too rough cause he shocked with my sudden action but he didn't say anything.

“Sorry, we’re late.”

“Mianhae, abuji. I had meeting today that longer than I expected.” He made confession to dad.

“That’s okay. At least both of you were here to pick us up. But you’re not speed up in the highway, don’t you?”

Dad asked him but he replied with smile. If he knew how fast Jae Joong drove in the highway, he must get a heart attack in an instant. They stood up. Jae Joong took the luggage cart and walked on the front with dad. I walked with mom and asked her how her honeymoon in Europe. She said I should go there too someday.

When we arrived at home, mom called me and Jae Joong to come to her room. She wanted to give us presents. I got a designer bag which I admired from the magazine while he got watch. Looks like mom knew my bag already broken and can’t be used anymore. I’m gonna used the new bag tomorrow.
Two days later, as I walked into the house, I saw mom sitting in the living room. Her hands hold a brown envelop.

“Omma, annyeong.”

I walked into the kitchen while greetings her. She stood up and followed me. I grabbed an empty glass, opened the fridge and poured myself an ice water then drink it in one shot.

“You got a letter.” She passed me blue envelop and I took it.

“Ah, ye.” I put down the glass in the sink then grabbed my bag, ready to walk.

She frowned. “You don't wanna open it?”

“Later, omma. I want to go to my room now.”

“But it’s from the university, it must be important.” She insisted.

I sighed. “Okay.”

Well, she’s not my mom if she let me runaway so easily. I saw curiosity on her face so I gave up and opened the brown envelop in front of her. It's actually not a regular letter. Almost look like an invitation due to its shape. My guess was right, it is indeed an invitation. She looked at me while I'm reading the contents and after I finished, I gave the invitation to her. She read it for a moment before she comment.

“I knew it must be an important letter. It’s on next Saturday. I’ll accompany you to look for a gown.”

I don't know why mom was so happy about this thing. It's only a reunion. I took back the invitation from her hand and read it once more.

Hey friends,
Feel bored with your job or getting old faster lately and want to return to your playing era? We hear you and you're cordially invited to the reunion of class 2004 where you can meet your old friends and even your enemy. The party will be held on:
Date: 23 February 2011
Time: 7 pm till drop
Venue: JW Marriott Hotel, Grand Ballroom
Miss it and you'll regret it.

2004 Reunion committee

I folded the invitation and put into my bag. “Omma, I haven’t even decided to come or not.”

“Joo Yeon ah, it’s so rare to have a reunion like that. Besides it’s your chance to meet your old friends, don't you miss them?”

I didn’t answer her. “Give me time to think, okay?”

“Arasso, but I really hope you go.”

I kissed her cheek. “I’m off to my room.”

“Hm, go get some rest.”

She tapped lightly my cheek before I walked out from the kitchen. Back in my room, I put my bag on small table beside my bed and threw my body to the bed. I closed my eyes for a while before I crawled to the bedside and took out the invitation from my bag then have a deep thought while looking at it. I missed my friends, especially Jae In. It's been three years I didn't met her but after what she done to me, how can I face her again? And Min Woo, are they still together? If I remember all that painful memories, I really don't wanna go because I can't avoid them. But if I go, how can I face them?

*****

I was sitting in the living room with mom and dad. Mom is watching the TV while dad and I were discussing some proposals of joint cooperation with Haesin group, Yoo Chun's company.

“I agree with this project, it can expand our business in the future.”

“Fine then, I’ll arrange the meeting with them.”

Not long after, Joo Yeon came in. She sat beside mom and joined to watch the TV then mom took the TV remote and lowered the volume. She looked at her.

“Joo Yeon ah. You’re going, right?”

Dad look interested with their conversation so he asked mom. “Any occasion?”

Mom looked at dad. “She got an invitation from the university for reunion next week.” Then she turned around and talked with Joo Yeon again. “Are you going or not?”

“I don’t know but I guess not.” She kept staring at the TV while answered mom.

“Joo Yeon ah, how many times I told you to hang out with your friends. Are you gonna stay like this? It’s been three years.”

“Omma…I—“

Dad suddenly cut her and talked to mom. “Dear, don’t force her if she doesn’t wanna go.”

“Yeobo, Joo Yeon closed herself from other men for three years and it’s all because of Min Woo.”

“Omma…please.” She looked really sad when mom mentioned that name.

Mom shook her head. “No, Joo Yeon. I’m really sad seeing you like this.” Then mom placed her hand on Joo Yeon’s cheek and the other hand squeezed her hands lightly. “Go. Show him that you’re happy without him.”

She looked at mom’s hand patted her hands and fell silent. I guess she’s considering mom’s words. “Okay, I’ll go.”

Mom smiled brightly. “Good.” She paused and turned to look at me. “Jae Joong ah, can you be her partner?”

I raised my eyebrows, didn’t expect that mom’s gonna asked me to accompany her. I looked at her, she look shocked just like me.

“Omma, I can go by myself. I don’t wanna bother him.”

“At least I can be at ease if you go with Jae Joong. Right, yeobo?”

I saw dad nodded. As for me, since I don’t have any appointment next week so I think I better accompany her than doing nothing at home. “That’s okay, Joo Yeon ah. Besides, I don’t have any appointment that day.”

"Hm, it’d be better if Jae Joong go with you.” Dad added.

She sighed and looked at me then slowly said, “Ne, appa.”

The next day, I was in my office signing documents when my cell phone ringing. I looked at the caller ID. It’s so unusual for Joo Yeon to call me.

“Ne, Joo Yeon ah. What is it?”

“Are you busy right now?”

“Nope, what is it?”

“Uhmm…..do you have an appointment this afternoon?”

“Wait a minute, let me check.” I opened my agenda, I’m free from 5.30.

“No, I don’t have one. What is it actually?” Her series of questions makes me confused and curious.

“I….”

“Come on, just spill it out.”

“I….don’t have a gown for the reunion.”

I wanna laugh but I'm afraid she's gonna upset with me so I just smiled widely. Of course she didn't know I was smiling, right? I don’t want to ruin her good mood today. By the way, why is it so hard for her to ask me accompanying her to the boutique? She can just ask me straightly without asking this and that.

“Ahhh, that. Okay, I’ll pick you up at six.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

I finished my work today faster than I planned and I managed to walk out from the office at 5.30. I walked straight to the basement and drove my car to her office. When I arrived, she already waited for me at the lobby. She stood up when she saw my car and walked out from the building. I took her to the boutique Hye Rin used to shop. She let me picked few gowns for her while she sat on the couch and looking around. When the shop keeper showed her the gowns I choose, she didn't protest and just walked to the fitting room. I frowned, she usually protest when I picked an over exposed gown like she did for the wedding but this time she accept it. That's her second unusual behavior for today.

She walked in and out from the changing room for couple times to show me the gowns. Of course I liked them all because I chose them and she looked okay with these over exposed gowns, she didn't say anything to me. She finally came out for the last time wearing a shocking red gown. She spun around in front of me and asked me.

“How about this one, is it good?”

She looked at her reflection in the mirror. I liked how this gown fit perfectly on her body because the color was so contrast with her skin tone. It makes her skin looks whiter. Suddenly I remember the accident when I saw her body just wrapped by a towel. I was stunned for a minute before I manage to answer her.

“Ah—ye. All the gowns you tried were good but this one is amazing. It really suits you, but are you okay with it?”

She answered me through the mirror. “If you said it is good then I’m okay with it. I liked it anyway.”

“That’s weird. You were usually strongly opposed when I gave you this kind of gown.”

She spun around and now facing me when she talked. “Uhm, maybe because I specially asked for your help today so I’m not gonna protest.”

How I wished she can do that everytime so we don’t have to quarrel on everything. “I’m sure you’re gonna look stunning at the reunion and everyone would be envy looking at you.”

She smiled. “Well, I don’t need that kind of attention. I just wanna meet my old friends and passed the day without being the center of attention.”

I was curious about what happened between her and a guy name Min Woo when mom brought up the topic that night but I don't want to make her upset so I stood up from the couch and patted lightly her shoulder.

“Anyway, it’s getting late. I don’t want omma worried about us so go change. I’ll wait for you at the cashier."

She smiled and turned around, walking back to the changing room. She joined me at the cashier five minutes later. I handed the paper bag to her and took her away from the cashier to the front door. She looked at me confusedly.

“Wait, I haven’t paid the gown.”

I smiled. “It’s my present for you.”

“Huh? But—“

I cut her. “No but. Let’s go.”

I dragged her out from the store. As I expected, mom has been waiting for us at home and she's worried cause we didn't tell her where we're going but when I told her that Joo Yeon asked me to accompany her to buy a gown, she look so happy and smile widely.

Finally, the D-day comes. We left home at six, considering the traffic can be stressing during Saturday night. I pulled over my car at the front lobby and gave the key to the valet man. Like I said, she looks stunning in this red gown although she doesn't put a lot of make-up. We walked side by side through the lobby to the elevator. While waiting for it, I looked at her. She looks timid since we left home and she took a deep breath for couple times since then.

We walked in when the elevator door open in front of us. She rubbed her hands to get over the stressed while we walked out from the elevator to the party room. When we standing at the door and looking around, it's almost full and I saw a lot of eyes were looking at our arrivals. She looked hesitate for a while before she walked in further to the center of the room then two women walked towards us.

“Ya, Seo Joo Yeon.”

“Jin Hee? Sae Na?” She looked surprise when she look at those two women then hugged them.

“How are you?”

I saw the one named Sae Na is staring at me while asking Joo Yeon a question and she seems doesn’t aware with it.

“I’m fine. How about you two?” She smiled.

“We’re both fine. By the way, we’re running a business together. Drop by at our boutique sometimes. We’ll give you a special discount.”

This time, it’s Jin Hee who gave her a name card.

“Of course, I’ll drop by sometimes. Thanks.”

Then Sae Na moved a little bit closer to Joo Yeon and whispered. Even if it’s a whisper, I can still hear her. “Your boyfriend?”

“Ah, I forgot to introduce. This is Kim Jae Joong.”

Her friends immediately moved to stand in front of me and I saw Joo Yeon frowned a little bit. They stretched out their hands and I don’t have any choice but to shake it.

“Kim Jae Joong.” I smiled.

“Yoon Sae Na. Congrats on your father’s wedding. I read it on the magazine.”

“Han Jin Hee. Congrats for the wedding.”

“Thanks.”

“So he’s your boyfriend, huh?” Jin Hee asked her and she looked shock with the question.

“He’s—“

Before she even finished talk, I pulled her waist and make her stand close next to me. Her reaction to this was unpredictable. She stepped on my foot with her high heels while glaring at me as if to say, 'don't play with me'. I grinned, trying to bear with the pain. Then she turned to her friends and smiled.

“He’s my oppa.”

“Omo…you’re so lucky, Joo Yeon ah.”

I heard Jin Hee whispered to Sae Na. “We still got a chance.” Then they both smiled meaningfully.

“I guess so.”

The four of us were talking but I saw she looked restless. Her eyes were not focus in one place and didn't pay attention to the conversation. Looks like she was looking for someone and I'm sure it's Min Woo.

“Will you excuse me? I wanna go to the restroom.”

“I’ll go with you.”

She stopped me when I was about to take on first step. “Yaa, I’m not a kid. I can go by myself. You stay here.”

“Right, oppa. Stay here. She’s not gonna lost.”

She turned around and walked away after her friends said that while I stay here and accompanying her friends. One of them asked me the home address.

“Oppa, can I asked your home address? We’d like to stop by sometimes.”

“Oh, sure. Do you have pen and paper?”

She handed me a pen and piece of paper from her handbag. I wrote down the address and gave it back to her. She looked so happy and smiled to her friend. I noticed that it's been ten minutes since Joo Yeon excused herself to the restroom and she still hasn't come back. I was a little bit worried about her so I excused myself from these two women.

“Excuse me. Looks like I have to go after Joo Yeon.”

“Oppa, maybe Joo Yeon bumped with other friends so just wait her here.”

“Ne, oppa.” Jin Hee touched my arm.

“Sorry, but I guess I had to find her.”

I walked away from them and heading to the restroom. I wait for her in front of women's restroom for couple minutes but no sign from her. Finally I decided to go back to the ballroom and start looking for her. My eyes were scanning the room and I found her but her body language looks weird, I can tell from the way she stood. Her body seems so tensed and I followed her gaze. She was looking at one man then a woman came approached and hugged her but she just stand there like a statue, didn't react to the hugs and keep staring at that man. I can hear their conversation from my standing point without they realized.

“Joo Yeon ah, how are you doing?”

She answered her with forced smile. “Fine.”

“Long time no see.”

This time, the man she’s staring at was stretching out his hand to shake hers but due to shock, she stood still. Few seconds later, she noticed the hand then shook it quickly. From what I see, she looked restless and confused with the awkward situation so I walk passing through the crowd to help her.

“Joo Yeon ah.”

She turned her head to see me coming and smiled a little bit. I can see the stressed on her face reduced when she saw me. I stand next to her and curled my hand around her waist but unlike the previous one, this time she let me do it. I saw the couple's faces in front of me were taken aback a little and I'm sure they're probably wondering what kind of relationship do we had.

“Jae Joong ssi, this is Jae In and this is…Min…Woo.”

I can feel she struggled so hard just by saying that last name. I stretched out my hand to shake theirs.

“Kim Jae Joong.”

“I’m Moon Jae In, Joo Yeon’s best friend and this is my boyfriend Lee Min Woo.”

Ahh, I get it. Now I know why she's so hesitated to go to this reunion at first. Her boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend and to make it worst, this couple makes it looks like nothing happened. They didn't realize that someone was hurt here because of their betrayal. How can she still smile to Joo Yeon while saying best friend?

“Congratulations on your father wedding.” Min Woo congrats me.

“Thank you.”

“Is he your boyfriend?” Jae In referred to me.

“He’s my oppa.”

“So, omonim is married to Mr. Kim? Joo Yeon ah, congrats.”

She just smiled.

“So what are you doing right now?”

“I’m working in a company as a secretary.”

“Secretary? Hmm, sounds good. Min Woo and I are working in appa’s company.”

Joo Yeon just listened to her blabbering without saying anything. I just don’t get it, how can this best friend keep on flattering about herself and her boyfriend about working on her dad’s company? Is it really that good until you don’t count on your friend’s feelings to have to hear that? I better stop this right now before Joo Yeon’s heartache gets deeper.

“Joo Yeon ah, we better get back right now. I promised omma we’ll come home before midnight. How is it?”

She nodded and looked relieved when I suggested that. I can tell that she really wants to go from this place as soon as possible.

“Excuse me but I have to go right now.” She gave her best smile to the couple before she turned around and walked out with me.

In the car during our way back to home, she looked sad. As usual, she never liked to talk but this time I know what makes her hurt. I tried to bring up a light topic to the conversation and asked her about her friends but her silent more than her talk.

“Are you okay?”

“Don’t worry, I’m okay. Thanks anyway.”

“For what?”

She turned her head to look at me. “For everything. I don’t know what to do if you didn’t come with me tonight.”

“No problem. I’m glad I can be of help.”

She smiled to me and we continue our way back home in silence. She looks like need more time to be alone so I decided not to bother her anymore.