a floral valentines day

a floral valentines day

it was valentines day. that day where couples showered each other with objects that were made for only one sole purpose; love. and key absolutely hated it. he sat firmly behind the counter, the mixed scent of flowers wafting through his nose and his eyes set on the four people who had just entered the store.

last minute bouquets. “they better get the ones i just prepared or else those flowers will wilt within a day.”

key turned his head in the direction of the taller male; minho stood beside him, eyes fixed on the customers as well. he looked down at kibum and flashed a pursed smile.

“why the long face, kibum?” he asked as kibum rested his chin on his palm. “i hate valentines day.” he groaned.

minho fixed the vase of flowers in front of him, priming the petals of the centrepiece rose before fixing the few carnations at the ring of the vase. kibum watched his hands work, how gentle his fingers played at the petals and leaves. he wondered if minho’s girlfriend appreciated those hands as much as he did.

“you shouldn’t hate valentines day.” minho said, flicking his wavy locks from his face.

“why is that?” key asked, crossing his legs on the stool he was perched on. minho smiled and shook his head again. his lips pursed and he looked back down at the flowers. “you just… shouldn’t.”

and with that, minho left the counter, approaching a couple who had found interest in an arrangement of posies.

“hello,” kibum heard him say, “the posies were delivered just this morning.”

the smile was so warm in his voice; kibum seemed almost entranced by it. he couldn’t complain; minho was an attractive guy. tall, broad shoulders, a y and deep voice, and nice lips – he would’ve been an awesome kisser. it send shivers down kibum’s spine.

“kibum!” minho called, standing in between a stand of chocolates and another stand of bouquets. key’s eyes widened, and then he frowned, hiding any traces of a blush on his cheeks. minho had looked at kibum with a smile, but there was something about the expression that made kibum’s face burn to a new degree.

minho turned away, and showed the couple to a separate section of flowers, the longer-lasting bouquets.

kibum groaned, planting his face in his hands. “no, the frog’s got a girlfriend.”

he rubbed his eyes, letting out a loud sigh. “i can’t wait to go home.” he frowned.

the door to the shop opened again, and kibum merely turned his head to see minho’s girlfriend walk in, unwrapping her scarf from her neck and an oversized jacket in the crook of her arm. she caught his eye and she immediately strode towards him, calling key’s name as she walked over.

kibum smiled at her; he couldn’t hate hani.

“kibummie,” she called, “has minho gone for lunch yet?”

key shook his head and sat up, fixing his blonde fringe. he smiled when he realised hani was grinning at him. “have i got something on my face?” he questioned, touching his cheeks.

hani shook her head and tapped his hand before she walked off in search for minho. key felt his expression falter, watching hani leave towards the possible direction of minho. he frowned again, but more to himself than anything or anyone else.

maybe if he’d had a bit more courage and spoken to minho – no. that wasn’t possible.

they were co-workers. and they were guys too, and that didn’t help the situation one bit. he stared across at the posies again, and sure enough, there was minho and hani, smiling at each other like a perfect couple would on valentines day. he groaned and shot up from the stool, throwing his apron off and onto the counter.

he felt the rims of his eyes water as he pushed the staffroom door open, slamming it behind him. kibum pressed himself against the door and started to cry.

he sniffed; maybe it was better if he just quit his job at the flower shop and worked at a café or something. or even better; some secluded place like a library, where he knew he wouldn’t fall in love with anyone because they would be in and out and there would be no time to form any deep relationships because it was silent, and no one would want to be disturbed by someone as talkative as he was.

key’s back pushed off the cool wood, his upper body curling in on itself as his hands rubbed at his eyes and his nose sniffed back harshly.

he heard the door click from behind him.

“kibum?”

key didn’t turn, his sleeves cleaning the tears from his face. “are you okay?” minho asked.

the door pushed back, the ‘click!’ ice-breaking as minho approached key’s back. kibum shrunk away from his grasp.

“i’m fine.” he snapped back. “i just have my allergies.”

minho stood firmly, staring at the back of key’s head before taking a few more hesitant steps towards his quaking figure.

“g-go back to hani-ah” kibum stuttered, “i’m sure she’s waiting for you.”

a slight frown set into his eyebrows. “what do you mean?”

key chuckled, rubbing his nose. his straightened his posture, feeling miserable as he said, “aren’t you going out with hani-ah for valentines day? i hope you guys ha-”

“do you think hani and i are dating?” minho interrupted. kibum grinned, “so i was right, huh? you two have fun. use protection and whatnot.”

key brushed him off, his slender legs moving towards his bag. he began rifling through it for tissues, feeling more tears in his eyes. minho stood by the door, hands easy by his sides until they clenched.

“hani and i aren’t going out,” minho said to him from across the room. “kibum, hani is the head of the dorm at the university. i just asked her to drop off my coat for me.”

key turned, revealing his swelled eyes and evidently red expression. “then how come she’s always coming into the flower shop?” he questioned.

minho was surprised by this, and came back at key with what he knew as the truth. “hani works at the bookstore down the street. our lunch breaks are at the same time, so she comes up so we can have lunch together. kibum, why the hell are you taking this personally?”

“isn’t it obvious?” key questioned, throwing a sharp glare at minho. his teeth clenched on his bottom lip as he watched minho’s expression turn from surprise to pure and subtle happiness. he laughed and approached key, taking the elder’s thin arms in his hands.

“choi minho, what the h-” minho pressed his lips to key’s before the older could complain anymore, their lips adjusting until kibum pushed him off.

“why the hell did you do that, choi?” he demanded, not daring to look minho in the eye. the taller boy grinned. “isn’t it obvious? that’s why i said you shouldn’t hate valentines day. well, not this one anyway.”

kibum blinked, staring into minho’s eyes. “so you’re telling me that i could have asked you out for dinner this whole time?”

minho shrugged. “pretty much. but i did ask you that one time if you wanted to watch my soccer game.”

key grinned, taking a step closer to minho. “me and sports aren’t a good mix, choi. you should know that.”

minho followed what kibum did, taking a small step forward as his arms moved to wrap around kibum’s waist. “well, i can learn,” he turned his head slightly, and looked into key’s feline eyes. “happy valentines day, kibum.”

kibum’s smile changed to something loving and honest; he reached onto his toes, kissing minho’s plump lips. he moved away, still smiling. kibum was right about one thing; minho was a great kisser.