Mindless Breath

To live without living

Machines beeped all around me, I hated them; they reminded me that I'm never getting him back, that he's never going to hold me again, that he's never going to breathe on his own and never sing for me. I'm never going to hear his voice again, his soft, calming voice, telling me that he loves me, even if I know in the fiber of my being that he does. Me chest clenches painfully as I bite back a sob, hands running across his; cold, lifeless.

 

It’s dawn, the sun tells me as it creeps into sight, bleaching the sky in soft hues of a sunrise, it’s beautiful distinction in this plain, white room tangling with his hair. I let a tear slide down my cheek and fall to a darkened spot on his crisp sheets. I’ve always loved his hair, his soft locks of sunshine, dyed on a whim and grown out; it was one of the many unique things about him.

The tears didn’t stop; the dam I had built in my eyes came crashing down as I traced his heartbeat with my fingertips, his IV lines lacing themselves in my heartstrings. It hurt so much to see him like this when all he had ever been was strong, confident. The incessant beeping is disturbed by a new sound of footsteps.

“Noona,” A breath comes, quiet enough to mask the pain, “The doctors. They say it’s t-time.” Time passes too quickly with him and it seems like everything has been a dream, a wonderful nightmare; how I wish it was. I look up at the boy, my eyes red and still pouring, and I struggle to collect a coherent word.

“No” Is all I manage to say before my breath catches in my throat; and, if possible, the tears come down harder. “Daehyun they can’t do this to him. They have to give him more time.”

I sob hard against his shoulder and he rubs my back, willing me to stop but letting his own tears escape as well; they land with soft thumps on my neck. “I miss him, too, noona.” More footsteps come and I break away to find everyone else entering the small room, none of them looking any better than they should; all their faces downcast and distraught. Behind them the doctors entered, I scowled and Daehyun gripped tightly at my shoulders to keep me from lunging at them.

“You can’t do this.” I growled lowly “You can’t take him from me.” They all wore unimpressed masks; the man that had put him on this thing stepped forward.

“There’s nothing left in him; there is no brain activity. He is just a shell of the man he used to be.”  I fell to my knees by the bed and wrapped my arms around a beautiful lifeless body that couldn’t even breathe for itself.

“Kim Himchan don’t you dare leave me.” I cried into his chest. The man had reached for the plug and pulled it out; the machines stopped beeping and the world grew silent. Everything connected to him had been removed and I could finally see his face, serene and peaceful, like he was asleep; and I prayed deep in my heart that he was.

I never let go of him and continued to cry into his drenched hospital gown; everyone had long before given up on trying to make me leave.

“Don’t do this to me” Time had stopped in that moment; a faint beep resonated and echoed across the room. I didn’t look up; I stayed with my face in his chest and almost smiled; I felt a heartbeat, it was faint, barely a thump, but it was there.

His chest had started to rise and fall, bringing my head with it and I wasn’t the least bit surprised. Still so strong.

“I love you.” I whispered hoarsely. I felt a hand in my hair; a familiar warmth that filled me with security.

“I know.”

 


 

 

Hn. Ok there you go. Very rushed and..unedited. I'm sorry for anything that's been misspelled or any wrong grammar.

 

Comments? Please?