road trip

road trip

it was a 1966 ford mustang. white sunroof, hot red paint job and polished so well key could marvel at his own reflection.
it was taemin’s baby – problem was that he didn’t have an actual licence to drive it yet.
 
outside it was raining; kibum changed gears, and taemin could feel the manual car churn forward.
kibum pressed his foot down on the accelerator with much subtlety and continued down the long and empty highway. he felt his stomach growl.

“taemin,” key said, his eyes glued on the road, “is there still candy left in your bag?”

taemin began rifling around in his dark duffle bag, his long auburn fringe covering the right side of his face. his fingers combed the contents of his bag before pulling out a handful of lollies, most of which being the ones he didn’t like. key took a glance and scoffed.

“lee taemin, i knew you would do this again. what did i say about being picky?” key rolled his eyes, “unwrap one for me. i swear taemin, one of these days all you’ll be eating is carrot sticks and celery.”

taemin’s nose wrinkled as he untwisted the turkish delight. kibum opened his mouth and glanced at taemin from the corner of his eyes, watching as the younger placed the block of chocolate onto his tongue. their eyes stayed firmly on each other; taemin turned away to the sight of the passenger’s side window and key grinned, shutting his mouth as he began to chew on the sweet.

taemin frowned, flicking his fringe away from his face. he looked up out of the window and at the sky. “it’s starting to get darker, hyung. what time is it?”

key reached forward and checked his phone of the dash. “8:45. there’s a motel five kilometres north of where we are now. do you want to stay there for the night?”

taemin sat back in his seat and sighed, “that’s too much of a hassle. we’ll get more distance if we skip the motel completely and just sleep in the car for tonight. is there a fast food place after the motel?”

“yah, fast food again? we’re starting to get a build-up of mcdonalds wrappers in the back seat.”

taemin looked over at kibum. “hyung, i promise, the next time we drive into town, we’ll stop just for you. you can get a pedicure and whatever else you get, and then we’ll have a proper dinner. my shout.”

kibum’s eyes opened, and he smiled softly. “yah, taemin. are you planning a date?”

the younger glanced at kibum, and then back out the car window. “so what if i am?”

kibum stopped the car in the middle of the road, turning the key in the ignition; he sat back in his seat, still smiling as he stared down at his lap.

“how long have you been planning that?” he asked.

taemin inhaled, closing his eyes gently. “ever since we left home. i was just waiting for the right town.”

key chuckled and turned his eyes to taemin’s relaxed figure, his hand unclicking his seatbelt. he kissed taemin softly enough so it wouldn’t surprise him too much and then sat back in his seat, clicking his seatbelt and starting the car as if nothing had happened.

taemin’s eyes opened ajar and he turned his head, hiding the prominent warmth in his cheeks as he stared at the passing trees outside. he could still feel key’s kiss on his lips as he smiled.