JIYOOL'S FIRST SLEEPOVER

Yunho Appa!

 

 

"Okay!  See you later, Uncle Joongjoong!  Bye~!"  Jung Jiyool chirped to the phone and then placed it back to its place.  She had been talking to her Godfather and his Appa's friend, Kim Jaejoong.  He called her up to tell her that Yoojin, Park Yoochun and Aejae's 7 year old son, had already arrived at his house.  He was wondering when she would arrive too.  Apparently, everything had been prepared already, including their 'fort' consisting of chairs and a blanket, and snacks.

Jung Yunho sighed as he watched his daughter come bouncing down towards him.  Obviously so excited about the sleepover at her Uncle Jaejoong's house with Yoojin.  He didn't like this 'brilliant' idea, as Jaejoong had called it since it was his idea, at all.  He hated it.  The idea of his Jiyool sleeping away from him was unbearable.  He was so sure he wouldn't get even a wink of sleep.  Heck, he might not even try to sleep at all.  It would be her first time sleeping without her father by her side.  Of course he would be worried about her.  But he knew in the back of his mind that it would affect him more than Jiyool.  He hadn't slept alone ever since his wife, Lilia, passed away.  Jiyool had always been right by his side.  And tonight….. He shook his head and sighed again wishing something would come up and this sleepover would not push through.

"Appa… Can we go now?  Can we go now?  Yoojin oppa is there already."  She informed, her big eyes staring up her Appa.  Yunho could clearly see excitement in her face.  As much as he hated what was going to happen, he would hate it more to see her disappointed face.  And so he nodded with a small smile.  "Yey!!" She did a cute little dance and he couldn't help but let out a laugh.  His daughter never failed to make him happy despite whatever the situation may be.  "Okay, wear your coat and put on your shoes now, Jiyool, while I get the car ready."  He said and she nodded.  

After securing everything was in the car and was really ready to leave, Jiyool waved goodbye at their house.  "Bye, Housie!  See you tomorrow!"  Clutching her Pooh bear, she went inside the car.  "Let's go, Appa!"

 

On their way to the Kim residence, Yunho had thought of something.  If he couldn't prevent this sleepover, he could definitely delay it.  He grinned.

"Where are we going, Appa?  This isn't the way to Uncle Joongjoong's house."  She remarked.  He flinched.  He must have known she would notice.  By this time, Jiyool had already memorized the way to the Kim residence after having been there a lot of times.  "Well, er… We need to use a different way because a road is closed."  He lied and prepared himself for he knew a series of questions would be asked.  "Oh?  Why was it closed, Appa?"  She asked not that she was suspecting him but she really has an inquisitive personality.  

"Um… Because the authorities said so."

"*Authoties?  What's that?"

"Au-tho-ri-ties.  They are the…street police.  Yeah…."

"But why did they say that the road is closed?"

"Because…something happened."  He looked at the rear view mirror and saw a crease on forehead.

"What happened?" 

"Jiyool, I don't know." He was starting to get tired of this useless conversation.

"But…why don't you know, Appa?"  

"Because!!"  He paused.  "Jiyool, just take a nap.  I'll wake you up when we get there."  He knew this wouldn't even work but he had to steer Jiyool away from the meaningless topic.

"But I don't want to take a nap.  I want to look at the people!"  She faced the window and happily peered outside.

"Appa, why is the car so sloooow?!"  She asked, noticing the unusually slow speed.

 Yunho let out a huff and pressed down on the pedal.  It looks like he would have to go back to the original route.

 

Finally, the Jungs parked their car at the Kim's driveway.  Jiyool itched to open the car door but her Appa wouldn't open the locks yet.  "Appa, why aren't we going down?"  She tried to open the door again but it would't budge.  "Jiyool, why don't we stay here for a moment?  Look, isn't Uncle Jaejoong's roof nice?"  He pointed to a random high spot.  "Huh?  Oh look, Appa!  Auntie Yayo is waving at us!!!  Let's go, let's go!!!!!"  She shouted in excitement and waved back at her Aunt Yayo, Jaejoong's wife, who opened the front door waiting for them.  Yunho knew he was already defeated and unlocked the doors.  Immediately, Jiyool got down from the car and ran towards her waiting aunt.

Once the Jungs were inside, Yoojin came and hugged Jiyool.  "What took you so long?"  He demanded and placed his little fists at his hips.  "Oh, Appa took a different way because a road was closed."  She explained and though he couldn't understand, Yoojin just nodded.  "Oh, he did, didn't he?"  Jaejoong appeared with a knowing smirk.  He knew Yunho purposely delayed it and he couldn't' blame him.  He understood his situation.  

At Jaejoong's question, Yunho just kept quiet.  

"Uncle Jaejooooooong!!!"  Jiyool happily greeted and hugged his legs.  At this, Jaejoong picked her up and hugged her back.  "Are you excited for your first sleepover?"  He asked and Jiyool eagerly nodded, "Yes, Uncle Joongjoong!!! Look, I brought Poohbie!" She waved the stuffed toy in front of his face.  "Hello, Poohbie!"  He greeted and poked its nose making Jiyool giggle.  He gently put her down and the two kids hurried off to play, pulling their Aunt Yayo with them. 

Jaejoong faced a pain stricken Yunho who watched his daughter took off with Yoojin, completely forgetting about him.  Jaejoong cleared his throat and Yunho looked at him.  "So…."  Jaejoong started but he was surprised when Yunho grabbed his shoulders and shook him.  "Hyung!!! Are you sure you can take care of Jiyool??????  My Jiyool?  Precious Jiyool???? Coz if you can't, it's absolutely, totally fine.  I can take Jiyool home now.  And I bet you'll like that, right?  You have one less kid to worry about.  Okay?  Good.  JIYOOOOOL!!!!!"  Yunho clapped his hands with a huge smile.  Jaejoong, despite pitying his friend, rolled his eyes and lightly bonked his friend's head.

"YAH!  Are you that selfish?!  I know what you're doing, Yunho.  And I understand how you feel.  But, look, Jiyool is growing up now.  Sooner or later, there will come a time that you'll have to let her go.  ANd Jiyool had been looking forward to this for days, right?  Do you want her to be sad instead?  You have to be strong, Yunho.  For yourself and for Jiyool."  He paused when he noticed Yunho's lower lip starting to tremble.  "Yunho, get a grip of yourself!!!!!!  Come on, man up for Jiyool!!!!"  It was his turn to shake Yunho's shoulders.

"BUt… But it'll be my first time away from her… I don't think I can take it… I mean, Lilia left me…  I don't want Jiyool to leave me, too."  Yunho said, whispering the last part.  Jaejoong softened as he looked at his dear friend.

"I know, Yunho. But Jiyool won't leave you.  She'll just be here, take a few hours of sleep, wake up, breakfast, play some more, lunch then just like that she'll be home in no time.  Why don't you join us for lunch tomorrow?  I bet Jiyool will be happy to see you."  He beamed at Yunho.  The taller man pondered for a while then nodded.

"You're right, hyung…"  He took a deep breath, "I must be strong for Jiyool.  I know how much she wanted this.  I can't be the reason of her sadness.  But you have to promise me, hyung.  You'll call me once Jiyool gets sad, troubled, or needs me, or cries.  Please also take care of her.  I've listed down all the contact numbers you might need.  And, oh!  She might wake up from a nightmare.  Just give her warm milk and she'll be able to sleep back again.  But a little bit of humming wouldn't hurt her.  In case you accidentally lost my phone number, I've listed that down as well.  The list is at the back pocket of the bag I gave.  Don't hesitate to call me to ask for help or anything.  Remember, she's allergic to crabs.  Hmm, what else did I forget?"  Yunho paused to think.  "Oh! And another thi-"

"Yunho, don't worry.  And I promise, when something comes up, I will call you at once.  But don't forget to relax, okay?  This is a rare chance, you know.  You only have to think of yourself.  Just forget Jiyool for a while."

"But I can't forget Jiyool!! She's my daughter!!" He exclaimed, appalled at what his hyung had suggested.

"I know.  Don't take my words literally!!  Yunho, just… relax, okay?  Rest your mind, rest your body.  Sleep all day.  Do whatever you want.  Take a trip, go somewhere you've been wanting to go to but can't because of Jiyool.  Well, guess what, now's the time to do so.  Come on, Yunho.  Have fun!  Enjoy your free day!  Eat whatever, drink whatever, watch whatever.  Just do what you want.  For once, think of yourself and only yourself.  Okay?"  He looked at his friend's eyes and hoped that Yunho understood his little pep talk.  Fortunately, he nodded.  "Good!"  He clapped on his shoulder, proud of his dear friend.

 

Yunho had stayed for a while, trying to get as much time with Jiyool as possible.  But it was quite impossible since  Jiyool had been so busy playing with Yoojin.  They were running around, playing hide and seek, tagging each other, and the like.  Jiyool hadn't had the time to even just look at her father.  At last, Jaejoong was able to persuade him to leave and enjoy the rest of his day off.

"Jiyool, I'm leaving now!"  Yunho hollered and Jiyool came running towards him and Yunho squatted to hug her.

"Oh!  Okay, Appa! Bye! See you tomorrow!  I love you~~!" She waved and kissed his cheek then wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you too, baby.  Remember what I told you okay?  Call Appa anytime you want to.  And if you want to go home whenever, it's fine.  I'll come and pick you up.  Okay?  Don't hesitate to tell Uncle Jaejoong or Aunt Yayo if you need anything, alright?  Be a good girl and have fun, baby.  I'll see you tomorrow."  She said and kissed her forehead and she nodded, "Neh Appa!" 

"Are you sure you want to sleep here tonight?"  He whispered in her ear.

"Of course, Appa!!!!"  She responded and looked at him confusedly.  He stared at her eyes to see if there was any uncertainness in her decision but unfortunately for him, he found none.  He had no choice but to let her go, "Okay…."  He put her down and turned to Jaejoong, "Hyung…."  He was about to remind him but Jaejoong cut him off, "Yeah, yeah.  You have nothing to worry about.  Now, bye Yunho!  Have fun!!!"  He pushed him out of the house and locked the door before Yunho could even process what was going on.  Jiyool ran to the window to wave at her Appa.  "Bye Appa…"  She whispered against the window as the car went away.

"Come on, Jiyool!!!  It's your turn to shoot the ball!"  Yoojin called and Jiyool smiled and hurriedly went to her oppa.  

 

After the exciting day at the Kim residence, it was time for bedtime.  Surprisingly, Yunho only called once to check up on them as well as to bid Jiyool goodnight and that was it.  Jiyool and Yoojin were playing in their fort when Yayo called them out of their fort for bedtime.  They washed up and changed into their pajamas.  Then they happily climbed on the bed between Jaejoong and Yayo.  The couple both read to the kids a bedtime story which was Little Red Riding Hood. Before long, Yoojin was fast asleep and Jiyool followed soon after.  The couple smiled at the children they wished they had.  They both lightly kissed them on their forehead before entering dreamland.

 

Jaejoong was awakened when he heard a small sniffle.  He furrowed his eyebrows as he stretched to look at the clock, 2:13 am.  It was then he heard another sniffle.  He snapped his head to the right and found out that  Jiyool was crying.  "Jiyool!"  He shook her lightly and she opened her eyes and looked at him.  "Uncle Joongjoong…"  Her voice croaked and he hurriedly picked her up and his mobile phone and went outside of the bedroom.

"What's wrong, princess?"  He asked as his hand wiped away her tears.  "Appa…"  She hiccuped, "I think Appa is sad tonight."  She buried her head on her shoulder and sobbed.  Jaejoong rubbed her back to pacify her.  He knew it was normal for Jiyool to cry because like what had Yunho said, this was the first time they would sleep without each other.  He knew Jiyool would be sad so this hadn't surprised him.  "I don't think your Appa is sad, princess.  But do you want to call him right now to be sure?"  She rubbed her eyes and shook her head.  "No.  Appa may be asleep already.  I don't want to wake him up.  I'm sorry for waking you up, Uncle Joongjoong."  She hiccuped again and hugged his neck.  He kissed her head, "It's okay, Jiyoolie.  But are you sure?  Your Appa said you may call him anytime, right?"  She nodded.  "Yes, but it's okay.  Let's not call him.  And please don't tell him I cried.. Plleeeeease?"  SHe begged and he nodded.

It took less than a minute for her to calm down.  Jaejoong quietly opened the bedroom door and carefully placed her on the bed.  "I'll get you warm milk.  Are you sure you're okay?"  He asked and Jiyool nodded.  "Yes, Uncle Joongjoong."  She gave a smile and showed him her thumb.  He nodded and quietly went to the kitchen to get Jiyool's warm milk.  Then he brought it to Jiyool who was waiting patiently by the bed.  "Thank you, Uncle Joongie~!"  She smiled at him with her milk moustache.  Jaejoong quietly laughed and wiped it.  "Welcome, princess.  Now sleep, okay?  Don't worry about your Appa.  I'm sure he's doing fine. Okay?  Good night, Jiyool."  She yawned, "Good night, Uncle Jaejoong."

 

He was placing the cup in the sink when he was startled by the ringing of his phone.

"Yobosaeyo?"

"Hyung!!!  Is everything alright????"

"Yunho?!"  He asked, surprised at the perfect timing of his call.  

"Yes, it's me, hung.  Is everything alright?  How's Jiyool?  Is she okay?"  Yunho worriedly asked.

"Yes, she's doing fine but wha- why, how did yo-"  Jaejoong happened to look outside the window and his eyes widened.  He hurriedly went to the window and to peer better.  He gasped, "YUNHO WERE YOU OUTSIDE OF OUR HOUSE ALL THIS TIME?!"  He didn't wait for his response and quickly went outside of the house.  He ran to where the car was and knocked on the car's window.

"Hi, hyung…."  Yunho smiled sheepishly.  Jaejoong noticed Yunho was holding something that looks like binoculars.

"WHAT CRAZINESS IS THIS?!?  DIDN'T I TELL YOU TO REST YOURSELF?!?  AND YET YOU'RE HERE SPYING ON OUR HOUSE IN THE MIDDLE OF A COLD NIGHT?!?!?" 

"I know but… Jiyool…. I'm worried….."  His eyes flickered to the master's bedroom and Jaejoong softened.

"Come on.  Get out."  Jaejoong tapped the car and motioned for him to get out.  Yunho started to protest but Jaejoong cut him off, "NO!!! I wont let you stay out here all night!  Come on, I'll let you sleep on the couch.  Hurry, I'm getting cold here!"  He then rubbed his arms as he was only wearing his white shirt and loose jogging pants.

Yunho nodded and hurriedly got out.  "Will I get to peek at Jiyool?"  He asked and Jaejoong chuckled.  "Of course."  

"Then what are we waiting for, LET'S GO!!!"  Yunho beamed and pulled Jaejoong's arm towards their house.

 

Yunho let out a sigh of relief when he saw Jiyool sleeping peacefully.  Her arm was draped across Yoojin's chest, her breathing even.  He adjusted the blankets and made sure she was properly covered.  He lightly kissed her forehead before turning to go, "Good night, baby."  He walked to the living room where Jaejoong was fixing his makeshift bed.  "Here's your blanket… If you need anything, just knock on the door.  You may also raid the fridge if you want."  He said then yawned.  "Good night, Yunho."  He said and sleepily waved.  "Good night, hung.  Thank you!"  Jaejoong nodded and trotted upstairs.  Yunho laid on the sofa and snuggled under the blanket, "Good night, Lilia."

 

The next morning, Jiyool and Yoojin were woken up by the yummy smell of pancakes.  They both sat up and looked at each other, "Good morning, Oppa!" Jiyool greeted and hugged Yoojin.  Yoojin, who was not a morning person, only blinked at her in reply.  "Oppa, you look funny!"  Jiyool giggled while pointing at his blank face. He just blinked at her twice and went back to sleep.  "Oh."  Jiyool mumbled.  She shrugged and made her way out of the bedroom.  She went down and followed the yummy scent.

"Good morning, Jiyool!!!" Yayo greeted as she set down the plates on the table. Then she walked to Jiyool and scooped her up.  "How was your sleep, sweetie?"  Jiyool giggled as she remembered Yoojin.  "Good morning, Auntie Yayo! I had a good sleep!! Oh, oh!!! Yoojin oppa was awake but then I hugged him when I said 'good morning, oppa!' but then he just looked at me.  Hahahaha!  Yoojinnie oppa looked funny, Auntie!  His hair was messy and his eyes were really small like this"  She pulled her eyelids backwards and continued, "and then I told him he looked funny but then he just looked at me and then Auntie, suddenly he went back to sleep!!!!"  She rambled on and on.  Yayo laughed wholeheartedly at Jiyool's story.

"What's so funny, my lovely ladies?  Good morning, my princess!!" Jaejoong emerged from the kitchen with an apron and a plate of pancakes.  "Good morning, Uncle Joongjoong!!!!"  Jiyool waved enthusiastically while still in Yayo's arms.  She let her down and Jiyool peered at the pancakes.  "MMmmmm.. They smell so yummy!!!!!!!"  Her eyes widening and she her lips.  "Of course they are, princess.  The best chef, Kim Jaejoong made them!  How was your sleep?"  He asked as he helped her sit on the chair.  "It was good!! Oh, Uncle Joongjoong!! Did you know?  Yoojin oppa woke up earlier and then I greeted him….." And so Jiyool told him what she had told her Aunt Yayo.  

"Ahahaha! Is that so?  Well, Yoojin must wake up soon or else he won't be able to have these yummy pancakes. Oh, here he comes!  Good morning, Yoojin!! How was your sleep?"  Jaejoong asked and Yayo helped him sit on a chair.  "Good morning.  Fine."  He mumbled sleepily and Jiyool giggled.  "See?  See?  Oppa, wake up!!!  Look we have yummy pancakes!!!"  Jiyool happily pointed to the plateful of pancakes.  Yoojin just blinked.  "Here you go!"  Jaejoong and Yayo put pancakes on their plates.  "You want butter and maple syrup?"  Jaejoong asked and Yoojin just nodded while Jiyool chirped, "Yes please!"

 

It was close to noon when they heard the doorbell ring. Yoojin and Jiyool were playing at the backyard when Yunho finally arrived.  He immediately heard Jiyool's laughter.  He sighed in relief when he saw her laughing her heart out as Yoojin chased her around.  He was glad that Jiyool was having fun.  

"Jiyool!" He called.  She stopped in her tracks and her eyes widened when she saw him.  She then came running and squealing in delight, "APPA!!!!!!!"  She jumped onto Yunho's waiting arms, "I missed you, Appa!"  She said and hugged his neck tighter.  "I missed you more.  Did you have fun at your first sleepover, Jiyool?"  He asked and she nodded, "Neh, Appa!  I love it!  We played and played and played and ate Uncle Jaejoong's yummy food and then we played again inside the fort until Auntie Yayo called for us and Yoojinnie oppa was so funny!! Did you know, appa?  This morning Oppa woke up and then he looked really funny!!!!  But he didn't talk to me at all and went back to sleep but I went down because something smelled yummy and then it was Uncle's pancakes!! I ate 3 circles!!!!"  She excitedly told while holding up three fingers to his face.  Her eyes wide, amazed at herself for being able to eat 3 pancakes.

"Whoa!!! Three pancakes?  Isn't your tummy full?"  He asked, concerned.  "It was but I'm okay now.  You have to try his pancakes, Appa!! So yummy~~" Her eyes glazed over thinking about those yummy pancakes.

"Hi Uncle Yunho!"  Yoojin greeted and Yunho put Jiyool down.  "Hi, Yoojin!!! How was your sleepover?"  Yunho asked and patted his head.  "It was fun!!!! I'm glad Jiyoollie came with me."  Yoojin had had sleepovers many times at the Kim residence.  "Thank you for letting Jiyool.  It was so much fun with her around, Uncle Yunho."  Yunho smiled softly.  "Well, I'm glad, too.  Jiyool told me she had so much fun, as well.  Right, Jiyool?"  He asked and she nodded, "Neh!!! Can we do it again???"  She asked and Yunho gulped.  He looked down at children's faces and he knew he wouldn't be able to say no. "Of course."  He finally said with a nod.  The children let out their breath and cheered, "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!"

"What party is happening here?"  Jaejoong asked as he found them cheering.  "Uncle Yunho allowed Jiyool to have another sleepover!!!!!!!!!!!"  Yoojin excitedly announced and jumped up and down.  Jaejoong looked surprised, "Really?  THat's great!!"  He beamed at his friend.  Maybe he realized it was good for the both of them.  "Yeah, well."  Yunho responded while rubbing the back of his head and Jaejoong patted his shoulder in support.  

"LUNCH IS READYYYYY!!!"  They heard Yayo yell.  "We're coming!!!"  Jaejoong yelled back then turned back to them.  "Let's go have lunch, shall we?"  Whoops and cheers were heard from the children and Yunho grinned seeing Jiyool this happy.

Maybe sleepovers weren't so bad after all.