Long Distance

Long Distance

“Soo…” Taeyeon exchanged a look with Tiffany and Jessica before proceeding. “How’s Changmin oppa lately?”

“He and the rest of the DBSK boys are busy in Japan.” Sooyoung replied nonchalantly, not taking her eyes off her book. “You all should know that.”

Jessica arched an eyebrow as she settled on the couch across where the leggy shikshin sat. “And that doesn’t bother you?”

“Nope.”

“Choi Sooyoung, are you sure you’re sane?” Tiffany threw herself on the spot on the couch next to Jessica. “You two haven’t seen each other for two months already. TWO MONTHS! How can you be okay with that?”

Sooyoung finally closed her book and placed it on her lap, looking at her well-meaning friends as if they each grew another head. “What else can we all do when work calls? Fany, we’re all in the same business and in the same company. I understand when there are times that I can’t see him but that doesn’t mean I’m okay with that.”

“So what do you plan to do?” Taeyeon asked in a softer, more understanding look, shooting a pointed look at the two American-born members.

The short haired brunette glanced at her watch. “What I plan to do is to talk to him through the webcam right now.” Getting up from the sofa, she smiled reassuringly at her friends before heading to her room. “Call me when dinner’s ready!”

                As soon as the door was locked, the laptop was opened and the webcam was set up, Sooyoung flopped on the bed, lying on her belly as she waited for her boyfriend of nearly two years to appear on the screen. She knew that DBSK had more than a hectic schedule in Japan and it really meant a lot to her that Changmin always took the time every single day to talk to her over the webcam.

“How are you?” Changmin’s face appeared on the screen and she couldn’t help but miss him even more.

“Fany, Taengoo, Sica and I were just talking about you.” At his arched eyebrow, she rolled her eyes good naturedly and continued. “I think they find me crazy for allowing the two of us to be miles apart from one another.”

“They’re just worried about you… The hyungs are like that to me too.”

Sooyoung frowned slightly, noticing how muffled his words were. Though she understood every word he said, the brunette increased the volume of her laptop to hear him better. “They all mean well.” She nodded in agreement. “So how are things over there in Japan?”

                She could clearly see him opening his mouth and uttering words in reply but the increasing noise in the background made it extremely difficult for her to understand him. From the white surroundings he appeared to be in, the brunette concluded that he was in a room… or something that resembled it. That didn't explain why she was having a hard time hearing her, which made her more curious as to where all the noise was coming from.

“Oppa, why is it so noisy there?”

Much to her surprise, a look of annoyance and a tad bit of frustration crossed his face. “HYUNG!”

Sooyoung opened to ask what was happening when he heard Yunho’s muffled voice shout from the background. “Everyone… QUIET!”

Almost instantly, she could no longer hear any noise from the background. “Oppa, what’s going on?”

“Well… There’s something I have to tell you.” Changmin scratched the back of his head. “The truth is… I’m in the middle of my schedule right now. I’m currently recording a show with the rest of the hyungs.”

“OPPA!” Her eyes widened before they narrowed accusingly. “I thought we agreed that it’s work first before us? You know I could wait.”

“Before you freak out on me, there’s something I have to show you. Just be patient, alright? The screen will get weird and whatever but just hang in there, okay?” Not really bothering to wait for any reply from his girlfriend, he readjusted the webcam before he carried his laptop in his arms, causing the screen to indeed go hazy.

                Before Sooyoung knew it, she found herself face to face with a screen filled with screaming girls… whom she realized soon were the audience of the show. The five members of DBSK finally appeared into view; each smiling sheepishly at her as they tried somewhat successfully to fit all their faces on the small screen.

“O-Oppa…” She looked at each of them before her attention fell on the maknae of the group. “W-What… What is this?”

Junsu clamped a hand on Changmin’s shoulder before he and the rest of the group moved to aside, revealing the audience once more. “Soo… There’s one more thing I have to tell you. We’re actually in the middle of filming right now.”

Her jaw dropped in shock. “So people there in Japan are watching me in your webcam right now?”

Changmin nodded, smiling sheepishly once more. “Exactly… There’s this one thing I have to ask you.”

“Oppa?”

                Sooyoung could only watch in stunned silence as she watched her boyfriend get down on one knee. The audience behind him all squealed in delight and excitement as he took a red velvet box from his pocket, opening it to reveal a diamond ring. A gasp escaped the leggy brunette’s lips as she realized slowly just what he was doing.

“Will you marry me?”

“Oh my god…” A hand shot up to cover as tears brimmed her eyes. “Yes! I will!”

As the audience erupted in cheers and screams and the rest of DBSK congratulated Changmin and Sooyoung, the two suddenly didn’t mind the distance between them… because it wouldn’t be long and they’d both get married.