Pretty Boy

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

‘Do not look at me, do not talk to me, and definitely do not act like you know me.’ Ren had said to me on his very first day in Pledis High. I felt a bit taken back by his sudden disposition because he had acted relatively amicably - okay amicably might be overstepping it but certainly not this.... cold- towards me at home just the day before. In the end, I decided to let it go because to be honest, he didn't owe me anything. 

‘Omo, how can a boy be this pretty?’

‘Chincha, he’s too beautiful. I would be embarrassed of myself if I were his girlfriend!’

‘I wish he were my oppa!’

‘His hair looks like it’s made of golden threads. I wish I had hair that looked half as good as his!’

‘Man, look at that dude. He’s prettier than most girls in this damned school!’

Just over a week, Ren had managed to attract a following of both males and females. The girls were entranced by his beauty and so were the boys. At first, I could not comprehend why everyone was so captivated by the two faced angel face (who may or may not have seen me in my birthday suit). But the more I saw him around school, like when he was doing sports during P.E or just walking down the hallway, the more I understood.

Although he was young and had the most feminine features I have ever seen in a guy, he exuded both cockiness and arrogance of a grown man. If any other guy possessed these qualities, he would have been considered a loser but with Ren, it seemed appropriate. Plus, the school uniform was just the perfect cherry on top as it suited him a little too well.

The whole week Ren had basically ignored my existence and would absolutely refuse to get into the car with me despite my mother's imposition. In fact, he woke up extra early just so he could bike to school instead and left for home as soon as the bell rang. Back at the house, he kept everything strictly formal. Like, I've noticed him call me 'agassi' sometimes. I'm not sure if he's mocking me but I don't like it.

‘Can you please not call me agassi?’ I requested. ‘It's weird.’

‘This, is my workplace and you, agassi, are the daughter of my boss. I don’t know if you’ve ever worked for someone else before but this is how we, working fellows, address those who pay off our expenses.’ He sounded agitated.

‘But it’s not me who pays you.’ I had said which he dismissed.

Eitherway, I tried not to think too much of Ren’s odd personality especially as I had other more important things to worry about. For example, avoiding Aron oppa in school every chance possible.

Aron oppa has been texting and calling me asking if I was okay because I had left so suddenly that day he took me out to the mansion to practice his proposal. I had been distraught the first time he left, and totally devastated the second time I found out it wasn’t me he was proposing to. There was definitely no way I was going to allow a third time so, being the anxious-avoidant type, I thought the best solution would be to run away from him.

And as if that wasn’t enough, the whole week, JR’s minions had been giving me hell. Leader himself was nowhere to be seen throughout the week but that only made it worse. The girls kept pestering me for more money which made me more and more frustrated and extremely irritable.

‘You look so tired and drained. Are you alright?’ I only had Minhyun who made my life a little more decent. 

I told him I was however our decade long friendship meant he could see right through me. He knew there were things bothering me that I wasn't telling him. I felt bad because he is my only friend - my best friend and I shouldn't be hiding anything from him but I just don't want him to worry. I simply don't know how tell him about Aron oppa or the a*shole JR or the fact that I'm living with Ren and instead, I distract him by making plans to go to the movies next weekend. He is pleased with the idea and takes the liberty of inviting himself to dinner with me that apparently I'm paying for. I don't say no of course. It's due time afterall... maybe I'll tell him everything then.