Personal Question

Personal Question

“There are so many people, hyung.”

“You aren’t helping.”

Lee Donghae could only chuckle at his cousin, who was the crown prince and most importantly the groom of arguably the biggest wedding of the recent years. “Seriously… just relax. I’m sure everything will go well.”

“I just wanna see her, marry her and get all of these formalities over with.” Lee Sungmin signed inaudibly; the two princes waiting outside the gate they were supposed to enter through once the wedding began.

He opened his mouth to say something when the latest arrival caught his eye. “Uh…”

The older man snickered softly. Being an only child, the closest he had to a brother was his cousin… and since they were practically best friends, Sungmin knew him very well. “You have a crush on Sooyoung!”

“Hyung, shut up!” Donghae hissed as softly as he could. “You’re going to create a scandal!”

“Well, she is beautiful… but not as beautiful as Sunny though.” He reasoned with a proud smile on his face.

                His cousin could only roll his eyes, opting to not give a verbal reply. The two men watched in silence and in much amusement in the crown prince’s part as Choi Sooyoung, the maid of honor and best friend of the bride, waited by the main entrance of the church with the little bride’s maids and page boys. She really did look stunningly beautiful in her form-fitting floor length ivory off-shoulder dress. Her long hair was done in soft, elegant waves and was finished off in a ponytail. Her sideway bangs adorned her beautiful face, resting prettily above her doe eyes.

                Donghae sighed, not quite happy with just admiring the tall brunette from the distance. As much as he wanted to go off and talk to her, he didn’t want to ruin his cousin’s wedding by creating an issue that the guests could feast on. He could wait. Hopefully, though, he’d get to have the chance to chat with her privately in the midst of all the hoopla the royal wedding was surely going to be.

“Your highness.” One of the royal staff approached them, curtseying politely as she came to a stop. “Lady Sunny has already arrived with her father.”

Sungmin felt his heart accelerate rapidly, fighting to keep himself calm. “She’s here… She’s here…”

“Hyung, relax. You wouldn’t want to faint during your own wedding.” Donghae patted his shoulder reassuringly. “It’s time to walk down the aisle.”

                Sungmin took a few more moments to calm himself down and when he successfully did, the two princes began their walk down the aisle. Donghae fought the urge to glance back at Sooyoung and Sungmin managed to pull off a calm and collected composure as the guests surveyed their every step towards the altar. As both men reached their places, the music that signaled the start of Sunny’s pretty long walk to the altar began to play.

“This is it.” Donghae whispered as they stood at the end of the aisle, facing the altar. “You ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” The crown prince whispered back in reply. “Is Sunny near?”

He arched an incredulous eyebrow. “Do I have eyes at the back of my head?”

“Look back.”

Donghae blinked in surprise. “I can?”

Sungmin made a face at his best man. “I’m not allowed to see her as she gets here, remember?”

                With a giddy smile on his face that he did his best to hide, Donghae turned around to see the approaching bride. He was immediately greeted by Sunny’s smiling face as she was lead down the aisle by her father. But as soon as the task was accomplished, Donghae took the chance to glance behind the blushing bride; a smile appearing on his lips as he saw Sooyoung. Hastily, he turned his attention back to his cousin.

“Well, she is beautiful… but not as beautiful as Sooyoung though.” Donghae grinned as he repeated what the other man said earlier in a whisper.

                Sungmin rolled his eyes, having spared from replying when Sunny finally reached his side. For Donghae, that only meant that Sooyoung was a few steps behind them with the rest of the bridal entourage. With a lot of amusement, Donghae watched as Sungmin greeted Sunny’s father and smiled brightly at his bride.

“You look very beautiful.” He said with every ounce of sincerity.

“Thank you.” Sunny beamed back at him. “You look really handsome.”

                Donghae had to bite his tongue to keep himself from saying anything as a look of absolute amusement remained on his handsome face. He knew that the two lovebirds were more that excited to get married. As the archbishop made his way to the altar, the look on his face changed into a more serious one. He didn’t want to make a scene.

“We are gathered here today to join Lee Sungmin and Lee Sunny in holy matrimony.”

                Donghae participated one hundred and ten percent in the wedding just as he was supposed to do as the best man, one of the princes of the royal family and the cousin and best friend of the groom. But he just couldn’t refrain himself from glancing at Sooyoung from time to tie… and it was with much delight that he noted the couple of times he caught her glancing back at him. Fortunately for him, he didn’t mess up his important best man duties such as giving Sungmin the ring for Sunny despite the fact that he was more or less distracted during the royal wedding. Before Donghae even knew it, it was time to sign the marriage registrar.

                Sooyoung headed up to the altar, fighting the urge to look at Donghae from the corner of her eye as she walked past him. Needless to say, she was both excited and nervous about being with him in private along with the rest of the family. But she kept herself composed, knowing that her main concern was being the new princess’ maid of honor.

“Congratulations, guys!” She said softly but excitedly to the newlyweds as she handed the bridal bouquet to her best friend.

“Thanks, Soo!” Sunny smiled widely at her; her eyes mirroring all the happiness and bliss she felt.

                Not wanting to delay the schedule, Sooyoung made her way to the end of the train of the bride’s gown, carefully picking it up in her hands. As she followed the newlyweds to a more private and secluded part of the church, she became distinctly aware that a pair of eyes were watching her as the rest of the royal family trailed behind her. Her heart beat widely in her chest, knowing that the next time the guests would see her… she would be walking down the aisle with Prince Donghae.

“Congratulations, my dear!” The Queen hugged her only son before dropping a kiss on each of Sunny’s cheeks. “I’m really so happy!”

“She really is.” Sooyoung nearly jumped in surprise at the voice that spoke by her side. She turned her head only to be met by the sight of a smirking Donghae. “Did I scare you?”

She snorted softly. “No, your highness.”

Donghae shot her a pointed look. “How many times do I have to tell you to call me oppa?”

“Well, your majesty.” The brunette emphasized her last two words. “I don’t know you well enough to give you the privilege of being called oppa. If it wasn’t for the wedding, I doubt we’ll ever meet personally.”

An eyebrow shot upwards. “So you have to get to know me first? That could be arranged.”

Sooyoung waited for Sungmin and Sunny to finish signing the papers before she replied. “Please do all of us a favor and behave out there.”

He grinned. “Whose definition of behaving are we using?”

                She rolled her eyes at him, opting to help Sunny with her train after she did so. Once the parents of the newlyweds had exited, Sunny and Sungmin took their places for the grand re-entrance of sorts. Sooyoung took in a deep breath as she took her place behind the royal couple with Donghae, carefully dropping the train of her best friend’s dress as the door opened.

“May I?” Donghae offered his arm to her as Sungmin and Sunny took a few steps forward.

Sooyoung had to remind herself how to breathe as she placed her hand on the crook of his arm. “Here goes nothing.”

                Donghae kept a very charming smile on his handsome face as he and Sooyoung followed the newlyweds down the aisle. The attention was definitely on Sunny and Sungmin… but that didn’t mean that the best man and the maid of honor were off the hook.

“So what do you like doing?”

Sooyoung kept a smile on her face as muttered under her breath. “I remember asking you to behave, your highness.”

“I’m not giving up until you call me oppa.” He whispered softly but loud enough for her to hear. “Besides, I am very much behaved.”

“Does behaving mean asking me twenty questions at such a wrong time and place?” The brunette was struggling to keep her smile intact.

“You won’t call me oppa until we get to know each other better. I’m trying to do just that.” Donghae shot her a smile that was meant only for her and it disappeared just as soon as it appeared. “Besides, I only asked one.”

A soft giggle escaped her lips at his wit. “I like to eat.”

“It doesn’t show.” He said in a tone that was very much sincere and instead of flattering.

She kept her eyes focused in front of her, not wanting to attract unwanted attention. “This isn’t the first time I heard that.”

Donghae smiled at the guests for their benefit. “What kind of music do you listen to?”

“You could say that I listen to everything…” The leggy woman felt his heart skip a beat when it looked like Sunny stepped on the hem of her gown. “But my iPod only has those mellow songs.”

He nodded in interest, keeping everything she said in mind for future reference. “So – modesty aside – what’s your talent?”

“I dance.”

The prince had a mesmerized look on his face, not quite caring if anyone wondered why. “If you’d like, there’s this dance class I attend… I’m sure our coach would be happy to have you.”

“I’ll keep that in mind.” Sooyoung beamed, feeling giddy about the fact that they shared a love for dancing.

“So…” He seemed uncertain for a moment. “Do you have a boyfriend?”

                Her hand suddenly left his arm, catching Donghae by surprise. But before he could ask her if he went over the limit with his question, the best man of the royal wedding realized that they reached the entrance of the church.  The screams and cheers of the people reached his ears as he also soon realized that Sooyoung left his side to help Sunny and her train get settled in her carriage. Sighing inaudibly, Donghae went on to helping the bride’s maids and page boys into the other carriages.

“That went well.” Sooyoung appeared by his side, helping one of the little girls into the carriage she was also going to ride in.

“It did.” He nodded in agreement. “See you back in the palace.”

The brunette smiled at him, turning to head to her carriage when she faced him again and winked at him. “That was a personal question you asked… oppa.”

Donghae couldn’t wipe the smile off his face.

He was certain off one thing.

By the end of all the festivities in the palace, he’d know her well enough to have the answer to that question.