Oppa's a Real Person? Oh Well

ProTips: Creative Writing

Ugh. Okay, this is probably the point I’m going to start digressing and ranting on. I’ll try to keep that from happening.

So, this is Asianfanfics. It is obviously a site for fanfiction about our favourite performers/actors/what have you.

You are writing about real people. Please take the time to learn more about said people.

Seriously. There’s nothing I hate more than seeing the Kpop boys/girls in a story become stereotypical and unrealistic. For example:

The only thing Onew could think about for weeks was chicken.

Come on guys. I can understand if this was coming from a purposely funny and stereotypical fanfiction (trollfic), but not in a serious case. Think about it. Onew’s a leader. I’m pretty sure, as the leader of his group, his mind would not be solely focused on chicken 24/7. He loves chicken, yes – it doesn’t mean he wants to become one.

My advice would be to find a variety show that your bias or whatever has been in. As an example: one of my multi-chaptered BAP stories is very heavily based on their show, Tah-Dah! It’s BAP. Watching the show helped me get a better grasp on their personalities, as did multiple variety shows for different bands. My suggestion would be to use these kinds of videos/events to research your bias:

·      Radio shows (i.e. Kiss the Radio, Starry Night)

·      Interviews (i.e. music show interviews)

·      Variety shows (i.e. Oh! My School, Star King, Running Man)

·      MV Making Films (i.e. BAP “Warrior” making film, U-Kiss “Dora Dora” making film)

·      Reality sows (i.e. You Are My Oppa, U-Kiss Vampire, Almighty B2ST)

·      Showcases (i.e. EXO showcase – SM uploaded the whole thing, BAP Showcase – from Tah-Dah! It’s BAP)

There’s a good chance MTV has a lot of interviews or shows that idol groups go on (like MTV Match Up with Block B and B1A4).

I know this was a bit shorter, but I didn’t see a lot of tip stories really talking about this. I think it really is important that you try to make the person you’re writing about as close to the person they really are in your stories. Not only does it contribute to your believability, but it also makes a story easier to read when you’re not cringing halfway through thinking “he/she would never do that…”

If you have enough time to sit down and write a 100+ chaptered story, you have enough time to watch a few videos about your main character.