01.

Hidden Wings
01.
 
“Are you absolutely certain that you want to stand by your decision?”
 
She looks up at her mother, her chocolate brown eyes slightly crinkled into half moon orbs as she nods her head.
 
It’s a graceful, delicate motion. 
 
If one is questioned about her, the first thing that individual would most likely utter was her air of gracefulness. Her shiny locks of chestnut brown hair effortlessly cascades down her slender back and she holds herself up with an air of elegance. 
 
Just a few minutes ago, she had spontaneously seized a pair of scissors and clipped her long bangs into slightly choppy blunt bangs. She had previously blamed the scorching sun for the sudden decision, but once she learned how to skim a flatiron on her new bangs, she was pleasantly surprised. 
 
She looks like a different person.
 
That’s the point. 
 
She still has the powerful desire to change herself and become someone new. It’s common knowledge that in Asian culture, cutting one’s hair short or even dramatically shaving one’s head symbolizes one’s desire of a new beginning.
 
She remains attached to her long hair, but even the simple act of snipping her bangs into short blunt bangs made her feel like a new person.  
 
She quickly steps forward, throwing her arms around her mother. She’s very well aware that it’s the last time she would be able to find herself in her mother’s embrace for a very, very long time.
 
“Thank you.”

And there she is.
 
She politely bows down to the bus driver, jumping down from the vehicle like an excited child. She observes her new surroundings with a subtle nod, silently approving of the unfamiliar city.  
 
Finally, it’s the new beginning she has always been dreaming about. 

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that for me?”
 
He stares at the lady in front of him for a few moments too long before he bows his head down, flipping through the neat stack of paper she had just handed him. 
 
“Song Jieun,” she says and bows yet again. “My name is Song Jieun.” 
 
“And this is your first day in this booming city?” He chuckles before he reaches into his bag, dangling a single silver key in front of her. “Well, it’s nice to meet you, Jieun. I’m the apartment manger’s son, Kim Himchan.” 
 
He’s startled by her appearance, but he doesn’t show any indication of it. He carries on. “I’m the apartment manager’s son, but my father is on one of his frequent business trips, so I’m just playing his replacement. Not to worry, I’m capable enough of handling his job.” 
 
“I’ll remember that,” she smiles at him and takes the key from him. “Is there anything you would like to mention before I begin to settle in?”
 
Himchan’s wide eyes flicker up to the sky for a few seconds before he taps his fist onto his palm. “Well, almost everyone who lives in this apartment is going to attend the same college. Including me,” he adds with a knowing smile. “Just ask me if you need any help, neighbor.”
 
And with that, he walks away until he stops in front of the only red door in a sea of blue doors. 
 
Just right across from her own door. He turns back to look at Jieun with that same very smile and casually pats the wooden door. 
 
“Oh, and beware of the guy who occupies this section,” he warns. 
 
“He’s like a stalker.”