Back at Me

Back at Me

“You, Shim Changmin, may be a man of many things… but if there’s one thing that you aren’t? You aren’t brave.”

“Kyu, shut up.”

                It was true though but it wasn’t like Changmin was going to admit that to anyone out loud. It was enough that he admitted that very fact to himself. Sure, he could reach those impossible high notes, dazzle the fans in photo shoots and live events and whatnot. He could do all those… but he couldn’t do the seemingly simple task of looking at women straight in the eye. Changmin had always been shy around the opposite gender and it didn’t help how most of his dongsaengs in SM were women. The usually confident Shim Changmin people see on stage was pretty much non-existent whenever he was around women and whenever he had a reason to be uncomfortable around them.

“He’s just telling the truth, Min.” Heechul spoke up; the trio forming a small huddle somewhere in the huge SM practice room. “You like Sooyoung. That’s a big deal. You just gotta be a man and ‘fess up.”

He rolled his eyes, focusing instead on other artists scattered about. They were all gathered there supposedly to discuss the outcome of the SM Town New York but the meeting hasn’t started due to the absence of SNSD, who was arriving from a previous schedule. “I don’t think she’d give me the time of the day.”

“And this is based on what fact? Oh, I remember. You don’t know any better ‘cause you haven’t even tried talking to her on your own.” Kyuhyun said sarcastically.

Changmin made a face at his best friend. “Kyu, shut up.”

“Instead of ‘Kyu, shut up-ing’ me, why don’t you just sum up the courage to ask her out? You aren’t food so I don’t think she’ll bite.” He paused and it seemed like an invisible light bulb lit up above his head. “Now that I think about it, Min, you didn’t even deny that you like Sooyoung.”

“Changmin likes Sooyoung. Changmin likes Sooyoung. Changmin and Sooyoung sitting on a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.” Heechul teased in a sing-song tone when the DBSK maknae scowled. “Don’t be such a coward, Min. Save us all from the bad fairy tale ending by telling Soo so that you can all live a happily ever after.”

“He hasn’t even said a proper word to her on his own… without someone else around to start or continue the conversation.” Kyuhyun sighed overdramatically, shaking his head.

The tallest of the male trio could only glare at the two others. “Thanks. Some friends you are.”

“Min, everyone’s just waiting for you to make the move.” Kyuhyun slung an arm around his neck. “Even fans know that there’s a chance of ChangSoo existing. I’ve seen the pictures, Min, and they all look like they mean something.”

His eyes widened. “What pictures?”

“There’s many of them.” The signature evil smirk appeared on The Super Junior maknae’s face. “There are many picture of that time during SM Town Paris when you turned to look at her when she made the heart sign to the fans. There’s also one when you two looked at each other and smiled during the SM Town Paris press conference too. Hmm… What else… Oh! There’s the picture of you catching Sooyoung eating during Come to Play.”

“And of course, the set of pictures of you looking very uncomfortable when Leeteuk hyung and Sooyoung were talking about their hugging incident during Come to Play as well.” Heechul continued, noting silently how a small smile reached Changmin’s lips as he seemed to recall those memories. “I also saw a picture of you staring at Soo when SNSD and DBSK appeared in Music Station in Japan. Then, of course, the best of them all… the picture of you gazing so lovingly at Sooyoung during the Hallyu Dream Concert. Need we say more?”

Kyuhyun snickered. “Don’t even think I didn’t notice how you always looked around for her during SM Town New York and how this look of jealousy crossed your eyes when you realized that Yunho hyung got to hold Soo’s hand… not to mention how you nearly killed me backstage for taking a video of her during SM Town Paris.”

“You two sound like girls. ChangSoo is non-existent. SooWon and MinYoung are.” Changmin shook his head at them, pinching the bridge of his nose in exasperation. “And no, you don’t need to say any more, hyung.”

“Well, we really can’t say anything since she’s here.”

                As soon as the words reached his ears, Changmin’s head turned towards the door and indeed, there she was, walking into the rehearsal room like a goddess-looking model with the rest of her eight sisters. He felt like his vocabulary failed him completely when he stood there, fighting to keep his mouth from hanging open. The DBSK maknae could see them moving closer to where he, Kyuhyun and Heechul stood and almost automatically, he made a move to head to a different area.

“Oh no, you don’t. You aren’t going to chicken out on us.” Heechul hooked a finger on the collar of Changmin’s shirt, keeping the latter in place.

Changmin scowled, noting how even Yunho was giving him a ‘just get on with it’ look from where he was having a conversation with Siwon. “Hyung…”

Kyuhyun exchanged a look with his band mate; his trademark evil smirk once again on his face. “Min, we’re sorry.”

“For what?”

“For this.”

                Changmin felt two pairs of hands against his back, pushing him with a force that made him stumble much to his embarrassment and the surprise of everyone – and amusement of those who knew – in the room. Everyone felt silent as he tried to regain his footing; his cheeks burning with the humiliation he was feeling not only because of the very ungraceful thing that just happened to him in front of his friends but mostly due to the fact that Sooyoung was staring at him with a look of surprise and amusement.

                He felt the need to swallow the lump that suddenly formed in his throat without his knowledge. Everyone’s attention was on him, especially Sooyoung. Changmin could feel Kyuhyun and Heechul staring at him pointedly, wordlessly telling him to go and save himself from more shame of just standing there looking like a complete idiot. But if he was really going to be honest with himself, he was afraid. A part of him strongly believed that Sooyoung wouldn’t give him the time of day. She wouldn’t spare him a glance unless it was necessary… like what she was doing now thanks to his supposedly well-meaning friends.

Figuring that he could just make a run for it when – not if – things get worse and just blame Kyuhyun and Heechul for everything, Changmin found the courage to look at Sooyoung and flash his sincerest, most heart-warming smile. “Hi, Soo.”

                There was a part of his mind absently acknowledged the fact that Sooyoung was now standing on her own, thanks to her eight sisters moving aside. He figured out that they knew to a certain extent of why certain things had transpired… but honestly, he couldn’t quite care. All he could focus on was the beautiful, sweet, goddess-like and model-looking woman standing just inches from him. He used to think she wouldn’t spare him a glance. He used to think she wouldn’t give him the time of day. All those assumptions were erased as she looked straight back him and smiled.

“Hi, oppa. Would you like to go out for lunch later?”