Unforgettable

Last Angel

"Ah Young, you must accept the fact that your husband will not return. It's been too long and the generals refuse to reveal any new from the war."

Kim Ja Min poured herself a cup of steaming Barley tea. "Don't think that I don't understand. My first husband, your older sister's father, was killed in battle and your father became ill, then died shortly after. It is time that your second marriage take place. In this era, it is common for a woman of this class to be married several times."

Ah Young looked up at her mother in disbelief.

"How can you pass this off? My marriage to someone should mean more to you than it seems so now. It's like you're flicking away dust from your hanbok! How can you sit here and calmly tell me to move on from my husband? Before it meant so much to you! Being in a high class family and marrying your daughter off to the crown prince, a man that she's never even met. And it didn't cease to make you realize that I've come to love this man that was chosen for me? Now you expect me to assume he's dead?! All of you... you stop me from going out to look for him as if it's a crime to find my husband. Even if I am to marry Changmin for you and the rest of the palace, Yoochun will come back and everything will go back to normal!"

"He would've been back by now, Ah Young. A general of war who becomes sick, comes home to recover! He's sure to be dead! The wedding will be in two weeks." She sighed, then took out a bright blue hankerchief and held it to her forehead. 

Ah Young stood up to leave, her back now turned to her mother as she began to near the exit of the dining hall. 

"And you never seem to consider how much stress I have as your mother."

Ah Young's head was spinning as her mind replayed her mom's last words. She strode down the hall at a quick walk. And that's how it's always been... Everything, this and that was about her mother and the fact that she had it tough with two daughters and two marriages. Oh and don't forget the fact that she should just be thankful that she's getting married again, and the fact that she's breathing.

♦ ~ ♦ ~ ♦ ~ ♦ ~ ♦

 

In respect to the Princess's feelings, Changmin had the maidens split apart their sleeping quarters so that he slept on one side of the room and Ah Young slept on the opposite. It had been only a three weeks since they had wed. A very long three weeks indeed.

Changmin was sitting with his back against the wall. He was lost in his thoughts, and the meal that he had taken from the kitchens, remained untouched. He kept looking over at the Princess who was deep asleep, and then back to his feet. He knew perfectly well that the princess was not in love with him, but the late prince. The small liking he had for her, was being stiffled by a load of sadness he felt, not for himself but for the princess. He was very aware the she always carried herself in a strong manner, but she had been thrown into this. Thrown into everything. He felt bad that she was into a huddle of arranged marriages full of uncertainty. The fact that she was being so strong all the time, worried him. In a way, it reminded her of Yunho. Were they both unable to express their emotions fully?

Changmin didn't like being a part of the princess's pain. He resented the political game now, the way that these young women were placed here and there for people's power. Ah Young was one of them, except she had fallen for the man and now she was slowly being pulled away from him. He took one last backwards glance at her before extinguishing his candle and laying his head down. I just hope that the crown prince is able to find his way home, and in my preference, soon. 

Morning came, sooner than sleep did. Changmin was in the study, once again while Ah Young sat in the garden. Jaejoong and Yunho were standing off to the side, being sure to keep her safe. Junsu, on the other hand, was taking a day off from his stroll through the nearby villages. He sat by the pond, playing with the palace's dog, and letting out bursts of laughter. "Ue kyang kyang!" Ah Young enjoyed the company and often found herself stifling her giggles at Junsu.

Yunho and Jaejoong exchanged glances and smiled, looking back at the princess who seemed to actually enjoy herself, even if it meant Junsu was being a clown.  

Something about today, felt different in fact. Cheery, light, and calming. The cherry blossom tree that stood in the center of the garden, had started blooming and the air was warm. Ah Young wandered over and crouched next to Junsu who kept toppling over in fits of laughter. Jaejoong sighed and fixed his bangs. "It's nice seeing her this way, ne?" 

Yunho nodded and smiled again. "When the princess is happy, the day is brighter."

"Just like with you, hyung." Changmin had walked out of the study and sat in between Jaejoong and Yunho. "When you show your emotions, we all feel a bit more close." 

"Ah, look who it is, the prince who doesn't want to be prince." Yunho reluctantly bowed his head and chuckled at Changmin's scowl.

Jaejoong laughed as Junsu tripped over the dog. Ah Young helped him up, but they were laughing too hard to even stand up again.

-BAAAANNNGGG!-  

The gates to the main wing of the palace shot open. The sound of horses' hooves could be made out just behind the gate. There stood a small group of men, draped in heavy armor. Three soldiers walked forward, then stopped to let two generals pass. One more person proceeded through the gate. The soldiers, generals and castle guards then bowed as the crown prince stepped foward.